Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

pauld

Air blocks in pump
« on: April 08, 2009, 11:33:03 am »
I keep geting air blocks in My shureflo 100 psi pump .Does anyone have any ideas?

[GQC] Tim

Re: Air blocks in pump
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 01:27:00 pm »
I keep geting air blocks in My shureflo 100 psi pump .Does anyone have any ideas?

I find I get airlocks after I've been driving around with a low tank. I find that letting it run on maximum speed without the hosereel plugged in (but still make it so that water comes out of the port), usually clears it.

I've heard a gentle tap does the job as well sometimes.

pauld

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 05:42:05 pm »
Thanks Tim I,ll try that.

Ian W

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 07:02:02 pm »
Make sure all the fittings are tight and not allowing air into the system too.
Do all the good you can, and make as little fuss about it as possible.
Charles Dickens

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 09:43:22 pm »
Here's a video showing how to sort it on a Freedom Trolley. I expect that something similar will work with a van mount. The important thing is to allow the air to pump out.

www.wally-the-window-washer.co.uk/airlock.wmv

easycleaner

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 10:52:46 pm »
Hi, Ian W is right check the fittings and dont let the suction tube get above the water level= no air locks.
Mart.

peekeclean

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 10:51:12 am »
i had this problem for months when i first started and it drove me nuts keep disconnecting hose`s and reconnecting. I tried tightening all the fitting even broke some but i still had it.

Get a bull valve or tap that screws directly to the tank outlet,any plumbing shop does them.
this stops air being pushed up your pipe when travelling.

now the only time you will get the problem again is if you dont turn it off when you finish a job.
worked for me anyway.

cheers joe

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 11:45:29 am »
That's a good idea. I have got a valve right in between the tank outlet and pump, I can't fit one directly on the outlet thought because of space constraints.

I can always try I guess. :)

Davie T

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 08:11:03 pm »
Try using normal electrical PVC tape over the Hozelock connectors, making sure that they are pressed firmly together before you tape over

Dave Turley

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 08:37:42 pm »
john tomkins fitted an inline non return valve about 2 weeks ago right next to his tank to stop the water coming out of the hose, which allows air in.

hopefully he'll read this and let us know how he got on!

john tomkins

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 11:04:24 pm »
john tomkins fitted an inline non return valve about 2 weeks ago right next to his tank to stop the water coming out of the hose, which allows air in.

Yes Dave, totally cured it now, bought a non return valve from Dual pumps and kept the 13mm braided hose from tank to pump as low to the van floor as possible.
Was getting air locks 2 to 3 times a day and had to disconnect hose to reel to release air.
This was I think all down to my 400l flat tank when it was 3/4 empty and water sloshing about when driving, introducing air to the system. Never happened on my upright 250l.
As has been said a valve on the tank outlet would do the same thing, if you remember to keep turning it off/on after every job.

geefree

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 12:53:10 am »
make sure your water level in the tank, always stays above the outlet....

Cheap as chips.

go home when the water is that low. ;)

That should solve it lol. ;D

john tomkins

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 09:28:16 am »
make sure your water level in the tank, always stays above the outlet....

Cheap as chips.

go home when the water is that low. ;)

That should solve it lol. ;D

Only works if you dont need to drive the van, braking/accelerating with a 1/3 of a tank of water can cause air to be introduced (flat tanks aren't baffled that well).

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 09:48:46 am »
Surely only half the point is trying to avoid airlocks - a very difficult thing to achieve. Airlocks frequently happen no matter how careful you are.

The other half is clearing them quickly and easily when they DO occur

Londoner

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 09:53:22 am »

Yes Dave, totally cured it now, bought a non return valve from Dual pumps and kept the 13mm braided hose from tank to pump as low to the van floor as possible.
Was getting air locks 2 to 3 times a day and had to disconnect hose to reel to release air.
This was I think all down to my 400l flat tank when it was 3/4 empty and water sloshing about when driving, introducing air to the system. Never happened on my upright 250l.
As has been said a valve on the tank outlet would do the same thing, if you remember to keep turning it off/on after every job.

John, do you have a part number or a reference for the valve?

john tomkins

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 10:29:48 am »
John, do you have a part number or a reference for the valve?

http://www.dualpumps.co.uk/images/Catalogue_PDFs/Check_Valves.pdf
It's the pvc check valve 1/2" hosetails, cost me £14.58 delivered had it about 5 weeks now and no airlocks whatsoever(was previously getting at least 1 every single day and doing my head in >:(), I believe you can get the brass check valves much cheaper from a plumbers merchants but I just felt better having the pvc one.