Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

New startup. would you go in 50-50
« on: April 07, 2009, 11:55:34 am »
Hi guys,

Just starting out like now...

I personally think I would work better alongside somebody so I have a few people to call.

Question is how do I split anything. We will both have to go door knocking with no money untill we actually start cleaning.

Any advice is most welcome likewise so is critisism  thanks

takeone

Re: New startup. would you go in 50-50
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 12:17:59 pm »
No partners, you won't earn enough for two starting out mate. I tried it and the maths don't work. Best to go it alone if you can.

Good luck!

cozy

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 12:28:48 pm »
Where do you see the advantage of working together with someone?

I've seen this a couple of times with a few people I know and it's always ended in tears before bed time.

I could see an advantage of 2 middle sized firms linking up to run everything out of 1 office and being more flexible but otherwise it's a recipe for trouble mate.

Go on your own if Iwere you.

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 12:46:43 pm »
I had a partner 6 years ago............were best mates for 18 years then one wants to work harder than the other ......but still take the same wages urrrrrmmmmm not quite right oh and we dont talk anymore..never again go it alone if you want to work along side someone do it when you have built your business up then employ someone but its your choice.

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 01:09:49 pm »
Thanks so far!

Bascially way I see it is 2 people knocking should mean twice the amount of change of pulling a job in.

Thats in theory. Then theres footing ladders etc etc.

cozy

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 01:29:59 pm »
Yes Adam, but 2 people knocking and working etc etc, but that half the money for each, where's the advantage???? Then, 1 doesn't want to work Saturdays and the other works faster etc etc, 1 gets sick and can't work for a week.................

LSB

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 01:35:50 pm »
you dont need a partner for doorknocking !

re :- footing , employ a part timer if you dont want to work on your own !

or , go wfp !
( im trad , but agree wfp has its advantages )

good luck .

ZaNo

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 04:31:44 pm »
Id say door knock with your mate! only because then you have each others motivation to work from. BUT lets say u get 10 jobs and he gets 10 jobs. well you both will only get payed your 10jobs each so theres no advantage apart from being able to have a laugh together.

Steve CM

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 04:41:42 pm »
I had a partner 6 years ago............were best mates for 18 years then one wants to work harder than the other ......but still take the same wages urrrrrmmmmm not quite right oh and we dont talk anymore..never again go it alone if you want to work along side someone do it when you have built your business up then employ someone but its your choice.

same thing happend to me. i had a friend since i was 5 years old. we worked together. things got messy and now we don't talk. the words never mix business with pleasure make the most sense

johnny_h

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 05:08:23 pm »
if you put some details on your profile it might help as some of us may be local to you and willing to give you some work
AUDI VIDE TACE

pingu

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 05:13:19 pm »
Adam...seriously consider working on your own...when you have enough customers, then think about spreading your wings...

I see where you're going with this thought line...but working and building something for yourself is not that bad ;)

Cheers and good luck.

Dave.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 05:40:28 pm »
Thanks so far!

Bascially way I see it is 2 people knocking should mean twice the amount of change of pulling a job in.

Thats in theory. Then theres footing ladders etc etc.

Forget ladders, go WFP from the start. A small RO and a backpack & pole won't set you back too much, and it''l allow you to clean better, safer and quicker.

WORK ALONE,... I can't emphasis enough how much of a bad idea it is to go into a partnership.
If you absolutely can't abide working alone,.. employ someone, but don't go into a partnership!

alanwilson

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 05:54:06 pm »
never ever go into partnership

it just doesn't work, one half always works harder than the other, personality clashes etc all make for a bad experience.

my son works FOR ME although I would have a hard time enforcing that!  He is out in a seperate van, I have a guy with me, he has a guy with him.  I take care of most of the bookwork and pay the wages, its a good setup for us as I know my son can run the business on his own and vice versa so it takes the pressure off both of us but as for working together in the same van - no chance
I've never been to bed with an ugly bird but I've woken up with loads!

GWCS

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 05:56:09 pm »
Partnership NO.

Sole Trader and you employ a PT guy or canvasser YES!

newpy

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 05:59:31 pm »

Same here had a business partner, we were mates until working together! in the end it affects the business as you end up spending more time in discussions rather than working! Ended up selling the business and going alone. You could always pay someone to go door knocking on commission, and take on a p/t worker as already mentioned. Looks like the general consensus on here is partnerships do not work - ask any accountant or solicitor and see their reaction!!(my accountant warned me before hand, and i never listened- what do they know ehh!!)
Give it some serious thought!  

peter holley

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 06:14:19 pm »
stay on your own ....adam , learnfrom our mistakes ;)

Window Washers

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 08:04:08 pm »
Answer to the post title, NO WAY!!!!!!!!
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

Window Washers

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 08:08:53 pm »
work by yourself any ladders need footing ,do that work on sat and get the wife to foot or employ mate for morning  ;D ;D
Or don't use ladders, no nagging from wife to go shopping  ;)
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

NWH

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2009, 08:34:00 pm »
I would never have a partner i`m to stubborn and like to steer my own boat,i bloke once said to me and he was right if you steer your own boat and it sinks you can only blame yourself.Get a big enough round and then get some paid help.

pjulk

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 08:38:34 pm »
I think if you go into a partnership your window cleaning career will be very short.

I have my wife with me a lot of the time but she does not get paid.
Well actually she does its me that doesn't. :(