This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

1st day with Gardner Super Lite
« on: April 06, 2009, 10:19:32 pm »
Thought I'd best get the new toy out and get used to it on a domestic round before venturing onto the 60 foot job, which was the reason for buying it.
Now I know there's a reason for the SL-X and a reason for the Super Lite but all the same let's get on with it.
There were a few 3 storeys on today so plenty of opportunity to try it at different heights and angles.
Getting the pole up was fun compared to the 24 foot glass fibre or the Prolong. The lack of weight is unbelievable and I feared that the brush head wouldn't have enough weight behind it to do a decent scrub on the glass, but this was taken care of with the stiffer than usual Vikan brush heads. Moving around with the pole kept extended at 24 foot was also easy.
Having the pipework outside the pole was a bit of a challenge with it flapping around and twanging the pole with each movement, yes there are velcrose straps to hold it on but this is where the slightest of problems kick in. If you have an hour of work at one height then the worlds a happy place but when you need to reduce a section or two to clean the next level on a regular basis then a couple of issues occur (1)removing the strapping and trying not to lose them and (2) you now end up with a couple of sections of pole laying on the ground, which is constantly on your mind to not step on and not leave behind.
Ground floor now means you another section laying around and cleaning ground floor with a 6 foot section needs care not to bury the end of the pole into the dirt.

Pros:
The weight of the pole
The weight and brush head
Sections easily fit together and stay there without moving
At 30 foot and over conservatories the pole stays straight and rigid.

Against:
2 sections for 1st floor isn't long enough to leave resting on the sill whilst 3 sections is too long to reasonable work with. If the end section was to be 3 or 4 foot then this could easily be overcome as opposed to all sections being 6 foot.
The rubber on the end of each section rides away from the base which I presume is there to protect the ends.
Constantly having to add and remove sections which have to be carried around each property. Ditto in and out of vehicle when moving.

Overall:
A fantastic piece of kit. Unlikely to be the cheapest bit of window cleaning equipment you'll ever spend money on, but having used it and then picked up my 18 foot G/F Brodex I was amazed by how heavy the G/F pole felt, and up until today I thought that was very light. Even my wife managed to do a 3rd storey window today and she normally only does ground floor. I dread to think what my 30 foot Prolong will now feel like, and as for the aircraft graded alu pole...........
Unlike each and every other day over the years today I came into the house without my neck and shoulders having stinging pains.

NWH

Re: 1st day with Gardner Super Lite
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 10:22:34 pm »
Best pole there is for weight and the more you use it the more you`ll hate other poles all of em.

dai

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 10:32:34 pm »
I haven't tried the velcro staps yet, just turn the pole a couple of times to wrap the hose round.
I would advise against leaving these poles resting on sills, the slightest bit of wind would blow them over, if you must leave them upright find a corner somewhere where they can't move.

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 10:43:35 pm »
i've got one- haven't used it yet.

Can i just say what an excellent review neil, even though i haven't used it i now feel as though i have.

NWH

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 10:47:53 pm »
Clive i know you like things that make your life easier,this is your best buy yet.

dai

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 11:23:03 pm »
I know these are 60 ft poles, can anyone tell me how many floors that is on average?
I easily got to the fourth floor, and had left four sections in the shed at home.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 11:40:18 pm »
Neil - up until a fortnight ago (When I got an SLX) I used a 30ft modular fishing pole for everything. Commercial, domestic, the lot.

Get a golf bag (£30 from Costco) with the extendable legs that let it sit upright. Put all your sections in that and carry it with you - tap the end of the bag on the ground and hey presto the legs extend and all the sections of your pole are waiting for you. (And you won't stand on them)

Not always possible, but if you are next to the bag when you take the pole down you can pop each section into the bag as you go.
It's a game of three halves!

williamx

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 06:20:55 am »
Other things to look out for.

Never stand the pole up against the wall, becaiuse if the wind catches it and off down the road it goes.

Try not to get the pole ends wet because when you connect them again the water acts like a selant and taking the poles apart can be a bugger, (if this happens twist each pole in  oppersite directions and they should come apart).

I don't use the pfpt spray that gardiners send with the pole, instead I have found that using a little vaseline is perfect.

and each floor on a building is usally 10' high so a 60' building is 6 storeys high.

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 09:01:45 pm »
and each floor on a building is usally 10' high so a 60' building is 6 storeys high.

Floor to ceiling on commercials are usually 12 foot, but depending on where the glass is situated within that 'wall' the top window may only be 56 foot from the ground.

Malc Gold: thanks for that tip with the golf bag idea.

I've sorted out the rubber ring issue by taping them onto the sections allowing 6mm to overhang.

ftp

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 09:06:21 pm »
Rubber rings? You should have had some special superglue provided. You then glue them on with a small overhang of about three mill i think.

Steve CM

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 08:51:10 am »
There is a time and a place where the pole comes into its own. there are a few things that bother me about the pole and i think from an employers point of view they can work out costly and arn't durable enough. they are not built to be bashed about and mine got a bashing so now it only gets used when absolutly necessary! the rubber ends on each section don't last and when they go they pole then starts to chip and crack. the velcro straps are a pain and now are lost so we have to wrap the pole hose round the pole but it still rides up the pole so not very good. and because of this when jumping from window to window the hose can get caught or snag on trees bushes etc which can lead to the y piece being pulled out of the brush head. this can happen a few times an hour!

but this is the only high pole i've used that can work at various angles, difficult windows etc over 40ft. and my back and shoulders don't hurt me for a few days after. its fantastic to work with when its right!

i think from a duarbility point of view a telescopic would be better. as there seems to be many fragile things on the pole. i guess if i worked on my own and it got looked after then i may feel different but for letting other people use it i would prefer it to be telescopic so it lasted longer even if it meant it was slightly heavier

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 10:24:45 am »

Never stand the pole up against the wall, becaiuse if the wind catches it and off down the road it goes.

Try not to get the pole ends wet because when you connect them again the water acts like a selant and taking the poles apart can be a bugger, (if this happens twist each pole in  oppersite directions and they should come apart).

I don't use the pfpt spray that gardiners send with the pole, instead I have found that using a little vaseline is perfect.

Alex told me a wet lubricant isnt suitable for the sl2? have you contacted him about this?
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

RO-Sheen

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 12:27:29 pm »

Alex told me a wet lubricant isnt suitable for the sl2? have you contacted him about this?

I would be interested in this reply. My first thought that vaseline is a great idea but do you find that mud and grit sticks to the vaseline?
Also, The idea about twisting the poles in opposite directions if they get stuck, have a pair of rubber gloves in the van. This will give you extra grip when twisting
Formerly known as GARGAAX

matt

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 01:08:29 pm »
when you get used to the modular pole

get yourself a 20 quid ron thompsom Zensorflex, its light, mine is aproaching 2 years old

if you step on it or it snaps, its 20 quid

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 04:08:45 pm »

Whilst a wet oil based lubricant is not suitable for SL2 joints, Vaseline is fine.  In fact, on our latest Super-Lite kits they now come with a can of PTFE spray and a tub of Vaseline.  Recommended procedure is spray the joints with PTFE and allow to dry and the a very thin coating of Vaseline applied on top of the PTFE.  I find this to be the best joint protection out.

ftp

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 07:23:55 pm »
Might rub my knees and elbows with it.  :D