Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

remember when you first started?
« on: April 06, 2009, 05:34:41 pm »
how long did it take you to make it all worth while?

Did you start on just 4 weekly.

Any advice for a newbie :) thanks

pingu

Re: remember when you first started?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 06:27:45 pm »
When we 1st started it took around 8 months for me to be able to pay all our bills not using any of our then savings...others I am sure will have other durations...

Started in Oct 06 and now we have a very nice income and still have plenty of time off and room for expansion.

Cheers
Dave.

elite mike

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 06:32:45 pm »
started on my own in 1982

took about a year to get up and running full time

never looked back 8)

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 06:33:23 pm »
Even though I bought a round off someone worth £750 a month, it still took more than a year, with hard work canvassing evenings weekends etc. and I took whatever the customer wanted 4 weekly 6 8 or even 12 in some cases, and then pruned once my list was full.
Keep plugging away and you'll get what you need, in the end

Andy@w.c.s

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 06:39:01 pm »
Started over 25 yrs ago when life was sweet and my bills were small ,
 my body didn't ache no job was a hassle and life was a lot slower

drifts off into a dream ::)

bump back to reality >:(
advice : keep your over heads small, enjoy your days and try to look for the positives  ;D

cozy

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 06:55:34 pm »
Got made redundant in april 89, because I live in Germany I had hundreds of potential customers from Army houses and only part time W/C's around. Leafleted lots and it took me about 3 months to cover my bills and feed the family. I think it would have been harder in UK.

Took about 18 months to get a decent round of commercial and domestic but by that time I started to feel at least halfway successful.

There is a saying that I heard that says " a rocket needs 80% of its power to lift off the ground, and only 20% to keep it going" I think that applies to this game, if you know what I mean.

pjulk

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 06:58:26 pm »
When i first started a lot of customers used to have there windows cleaned every 2 weeks.

It used to be the best job in the world when i first started used to work hard until pub opening time.
Spend a couple of hours in the pub and then clean in the afternoon for a couple of hours often half cut.

But that was back in my younger days before i had commitments.

kris martin

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 07:35:56 pm »
i bought my first bit of work about ten years ago off a mate who just wanted to party and get drunk, bought if for a grand and it was worth at least five times more. bought a couple more rounds in the first few years but then realised that work will just come without paying for it.

kris

martinsadie

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 07:44:09 pm »
Do you not find the work comes without looking for it after you have bought enough work Kris because you are out and ab out working  ;D ;D

kris martin

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 07:49:42 pm »
Do you not find the work comes without looking for it after you have bought enough work Kris because you are out and ab out working  ;D ;D
yep i have never canvassed in my life and only ever knocked maybe 10 doors in 10 years, its all been word of mouth.  Been really lucky as well though because i am quite friendly with a couple of other window cleaners who have put a lot of work my way even in big chunks (£350's woth in one go once) becaue he is getting on and cant manage it.  but yeah on a bit of a role at the moment aswell and also have a list as long as my arm of new custies that need doing (probably never get round too them)

martinsadie

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 07:55:23 pm »
ive never canvassed and the work rolls in,word of mouth and people seeing you clean, even get cars stopping to ask  ;D ;D

kris martin

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 07:59:55 pm »
yeah its a real buzz when you get quite a lot in one go but i only really ever do about half of what i say i will do, like i said in another topic more than three and a half days scare me too much i like my home time too much.. 

martinsadie

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 08:04:59 pm »
yeah its a real buzz when you get quite a lot in one go but i only really ever do about half of what i say i will do, like i said in another topic more than three and a half days scare me too much i like my home time too much.. 
should take the work on Kris then sell some off to get back down to 3 days, every now and again i sell some off  ;D ;D

East coast window cleaning Services

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 08:06:14 pm »
3 years to get to the level i wanted to be at been trading ltd for 5 1/2 years now
P&R Window Cleaning

kris martin

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 08:10:12 pm »
should take the work on Kris then sell some off to get back down to 3 days, every now and again i sell some off  ;D ;D
cant really be  bothered with the hassle, this weeks a 3 day week and the others are mainly tidying up on the thursday morning sometimes being done by 9am

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 10:44:13 pm »
Got made redundant in april 89, because I live in Germany I had hundreds of potential customers from Army houses and only part time W/C's around. Leafleted lots and it took me about 3 months to cover my bills and feed the family. I think it would have been harder in UK.

Took about 18 months to get a decent round of commercial and domestic but by that time I started to feel at least halfway successful.

There is a saying that I heard that says " a rocket needs 80% of its power to lift off the ground, and only 20% to keep it going" I think that applies to this game, if you know what I mean.

Good analogy.  I reckon it's about right too.

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 10:46:39 pm »
ive never canvassed and the work rolls in,word of mouth and people seeing you clean, even get cars stopping to ask  ;D ;D

They were queueing up outside my flat 's front door the other day. The queue went right around the corner.

Then the alarm clock went off.

Gordon Saunders

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 06:36:28 pm »
My first days window cleaning  according to my diary 2 of us worked from 9 till 4.15pm for £89.00 between us.
after breaks we earnt  £7.41 per hr each (6 hrs) we worked in 2 streets with 2 and 3bed semis.
 I still do both streets but work(mostly) alone now, still do many of the original customers and do them in a morning(4hrs) its worth more than £89 now but how much i aint saying. For years it was one of my favorite patches, not now though, prefer larger properties.
 G

weetot

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2009, 08:10:46 pm »
Started June 1983, and was making £65.00 for 3 days work on council houses, this was a lot more money from the factory i was working in for 42 hours per week on 3 different shifts for £43.00 to come out with...................God get the violins out!
Never take financial advice from people who have no money!

NWH

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 08:39:51 pm »
I would advise anyone to learn the job it isn`t just grab a bucket and off you go these days you need to know at least the basics and after that you will need at least a further 6 months to learn WFP to level where you won`t lose any work due to the method used.As for having an established business and a full diary of work i would say 5-10years for cream work longer,once you have the basic skills i would buy a round and use that to build on,Rome wasn`t built in a day and all that.