Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Helen

help Excel expert needed
« on: April 05, 2009, 09:33:12 pm »
Sorry mods, nothing about window cleaning :-*

I have managed to accidently create a circular reference in an excel sheet and although have followed the instructions I can't get rid >:( >:(
Tosh all excel experts helppppppp

Re: help Excel expert needed
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 06:08:50 am »
Sorry mods, nothing about window cleaning :-*

I have managed to accidently create a circular reference in an excel sheet and although have followed the instructions I can't get rid >:( >:(
Tosh all excel experts helppppppp

I don't use Excel as I use another spreadsheet but it's the same principle.
Circular references are typically caused by setting up a calculation incorrectly and you would need to check the cell letters and numbers in the cell that does the calculating.  A typical error is caused by including the cell that contains the calculation within the calculation itself.  For instance, as a simple example, using the calculation =sum(a1:a10) in the cell a10 would cause a "circular reference".

Helen

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 07:45:44 am »
Thanks, it's ok when you know you have done it, by I keyed something in somewhere, by mistake and of course it saved it!  What you said does make sense though as loads of calculations on this sheet. Cheers :)

MTMARYT

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 01:13:23 pm »
Hi
Try right clicking in the cel and clear the contents which will remove the formula.

MT
Mary T

Helen

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 05:51:46 pm »
Hi
Try right clicking in the cel and clear the contents which will remove the formula.

MT
Thanks, tried that and it didn't work. It gives me the cell reference and then when I trace it, it takes me to the other related cells, have cleared all those. Save it and come out of worksheet, then go back in and there it is again ???

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 06:12:21 pm »
Hi

MT
Thanks, tried that and it didn't work. It gives me the cell reference and then when I trace it, it takes me to the other related cells, have cleared all those. Save it and come out of worksheet, then go back in and there it is again ???

This may be a bit long winded but hopefully your spreadsheet isn't too large.
Maybe start off a new blank spreadsheet and copy/paste one column at a time.  When you get to the offending bit, maybe copy/paste it back over the previous data/formulae?
It's very difficult to help much on this without actually viewing the sheet and the formulae - and of course that stuff is private to you.
If you do start tinkering around in any depth, make very sure that you make a viable backup first.

mark dew

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 06:43:44 pm »
Getting out of a loop is difficult.
Do you have a previous backup of this file on a memory stick or something?
Or how about opening up the excel file. highlight the whole page, then deselect every cell apart from the cells that are looping. Then hit delete.  ;D 

I'm dying to know how this fares.

Helen

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 09:06:58 pm »
Or how about opening up the excel file. highlight the whole page, then deselect every cell apart from the cells that are looping. Then hit delete.  ;D 

No, i managed to do the accidental circular as I was saving in order to then transfer to back up ::)
Trouble is it wasn't just on one page it was affecting 14 worksheets. Have now solved it (hopefully) but it took near on an hour, just kept searching for circular ref's and then taking out the formula from the cell and re-calculating.
Thanks all for your suggestions :)

mark dew

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 10:02:51 pm »
Oh well done. 
I'm slowly in the process of linking 15 worksheets. Will keep an eye on what i'm typing.

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 10:39:24 pm »

No, i managed to do the accidental circular as I was saving in order to then transfer to back up ::)
Trouble is it wasn't just on one page it was affecting 14 worksheets. Have now solved it (hopefully) but it took near on an hour, just kept searching for circular ref's and then taking out the formula from the cell and re-calculating.

It sounds more complex than the stuff I'm used to.  The software I use doesn't do linked sheets.  You can only refer to a range or a cell within the same sheet.  Perfectly good enough though until a business grows larger.

mark dew

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 03:36:18 pm »

How did you solve this?