Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

trad over pitched roof
« on: April 04, 2009, 12:16:39 am »
sorry for such basic questions guys but how do you go about cleaning windows over pitched roofs etc.

Im starting as trad but will move onto wfp as time goes on.

Tosh

Re: trad over pitched roof
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 12:30:27 am »
It depends on the height of the window, the ptich and the pitch legnth of the roof and the ground.

Sometimes you can put your ladder above the window to get a safe angle with your ladders.

Other times you could use a rojak ladder stopper for a safe, but more obtuse angle.  I've even drilled holes in my rojak ladder stopper and pinned it to a lawn using tent pegs before.

You can also manouvre your car into a position where you can use a wheel to 'foot' your ladder.

But the above solutions are a lot of hassle and potentially dangerous, so I strongly suggest you explain to your customer that you can't clean certain 'dodgy windows' until you've procured some further equpment (WFP).

I'm sure you're customer will understand that you can't clean certain windows due to access problems and potential safety hazzards.

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 12:38:46 am »
If it doesn't look or feel safe don't do it regardless of the customer saying, my last window cleaner did it.
Sussex by the sea

simbag

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 02:14:52 am »
When I started, I had similar issues with those type of windows, and if I didn't feel it was safe I told the customer this when I was quoting. But, ever since I started I had always intended to move to wfp, so I also told them this, so they knew that in the future they would be done (even though it did take longer to get it than I first told them!).

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 06:55:58 am »
sorry for such basic questions guys but how do you go about cleaning windows over pitched roofs etc.

Im starting as trad but will move onto wfp as time goes on.

If it's unsafe to use a ladder, get a decent length pole from a janitorial supplier.  You can fit an applicator and squeegee on the end.  The job you do with it won't be as good as if you were in contact with the window but it's a case of some clean being better than no clean.  You can also get squeegees and applicators that swivel at the neck for tricky angles.
Ideally cutting out ladders and switching to WFP would be the best way to go but I know this costs to set up.

Jonathan Spencer

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 07:58:53 am »
I have a couple of people asking me about windows over conservatories.  SO what pole do I buy for that?  I have been telling them for months that I will get them cleaned.

EZclean

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 02:29:58 pm »
alot of laddering over pitched roofs depends on the ground that your laddering on, if its on grass or gardens then its easy to put ladder on the sill and then pull out the bottom section into the soft ground better to have spikes fitted too.
this becomes much more difficult for windows above the garage/driveway. as Tosh said you can go above the window, but if its a sloping drive leave it, its not worth the quid or so for that one window. alot of my work have gone from flat roofs to pitched roofs. it was great before because i could walk across the whoe roof cleaning the bedroom windows, and also next doors (semi's). because of this they were priced a bit cheaper and i was so fast doing them. but flat roofs leak  :-\
so more and more have gone for pitched roofs. then look at you stupid when you say price is going up. so i learnt alot about laddering pitched roofs. its no problem now i'm wfp and the customers are happy because some i just couldn't do.
EZclean - Cleaner Than Water