This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Moderator David@stives

What do you REALLY need to win that big contract
« on: April 03, 2009, 09:03:18 pm »
Following on from The Bryan Dolby Thread which i think now needs locking.

What do you need to win that contract on that big building you drive past every morning and wonder to yourself what do i need to win that contract. The following doesnt even mention the terms and conditions required which is 50 pages long. You decide what do you need.

The following is an exact copy and paste from a tender document i have just completed.

Item / Evidence

Audited Accounts for the last 3 financial years

Name/s of Bankers and 2 other trade/credit referees

Details of current Health & Safety processes and procedures, including COSHH and Manual Handling elements (and copy of any relevant accreditation/certification)

Details of current Quality Assurance processes and procedures including standards adopted and any  complaints procedure (with a copy of any relevant accreditation/certification)

Testimonials of Customers of the same or similar service, preferably within the National Health Service or other similar public organisation

Confirmation that all staff who will be employed on the contract have, or will have, received the appropriate level of CRB Clearance

Number of CRB cleared staff who would be made available for use in the performance of this contract

Confirmation that all work under the terms of the contract will be undertaken in accordance with the recommendations contained within BSI standard BS8213, part 1:2004

Confirmation that risk assessments will be provided in respect of all locations

Confirmation that method statements or work methods will be provided in respect of all locations

Confirmation that a programme of proposed window cleans and scheduled dates will be provided for each location in consultation with authorised officers, and details of contingency arrangements which can be implemented in the event of any emergency situation/s

Statement of monitoring procedures

Statement of staff training and appraisal schemes, including provision for Health & Safety (including Manual Handling)

Confirmation that Public Liability Insurance to a minimum level of £5 million is in force, or will be placed in force by the date of commencement of contract

Bryan_Dolby

Re: What do you REALLY need to win that big contract
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 09:07:20 pm »
P/L insurance what it covers?
Tender price

Bryan
Bryan Dolby
( Member F.W.C.)
My opinons are my own and nothing to do with the federation of window cleaners

ftp

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 09:09:19 pm »
A funny handshake would suffice in a lot of cases  ;)

Mr Formby

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 09:11:40 pm »
With all that it still comes down to price. I have just lost a very good job because someone priced it cheaper than me

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 09:14:00 pm »
A funny handshake would suffice in a lot of cases ;)

Never in a million years, the documents are delivered electronically to an independent assessor straight from offerers computors, the employing authority doesnt get involved until the shortlisting stage and must be open, honest and accountable.

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 09:15:51 pm »
How many of us have audited accounts?

Mr Formby

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 09:19:27 pm »
Like I said
With all that it still comes down to price.

You can have all the H& S you could need but if someone puts in a lower quote than you , quess who is going to get the job

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 09:24:19 pm »
Slump, that was just the outline, here is the finer detail

c)      audited accounts for the last three financial years or for the period since the Offeror’s incorporation if a company or of trading if a partnership or sole trader (if such a period be less than three years), or unaudited accounts accompanied by an explanation as to why audited accounts are not available.

Also

Here are the points on how the contract will be awarded

Criteria
Including
Weighting %

PRICE

Value for Money

PROVISION OF SERVICE,
And
RELIABILITY
Ability to adhere to timescales, contingency arrangements, training, support, flexibility

HEALTH & SAFETY COMPLIANCE
Risk assessment and management. Adherence to industry standards; environmental factors, COSHH, manual handling

QUALITY CONTROL
Evidence of measures adopted, accredition/s, method statements, references, standards, complaints

peter holley

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 09:24:47 pm »
and im still waiting for payment , and the jobs due to be done next week. i wish i never drove past that reched building >:(...t6y  tghe old lady in the bungalow who recomended me to her freinds pays cash on the day....as does her neighbours etc...lol lol lol... my blood pressure was high and   was stressed , but not anymore ;D

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 09:25:35 pm »
So basically you are trying to score 100 the person closest wins the contract

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 09:26:23 pm »
I've just picked up a £3k job to be done every 4 months and they've not asked for a single thing other than the price.
Now I know that's wrong (I agree) but that's what has happened.

peter holley

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 09:27:17 pm »
So basically you are trying to score 100 the person closest wins the contract
ay? lol... no i just want my kids to have a dad ::)

Mr Formby

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 09:28:52 pm »
I think you will find that this is all that matters

IV.2.1) Award criteria: The most economically advantageous tender in
terms of the criteria stated in the specifications, in the invitation to
tender or to negotiate or in the descriptive document.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 09:30:56 pm »
Neil

I am with you on that one it does happen, most of mine are like that, but some are strict.

For the first time ever i have been asked to produce my companies "permit to work system" and provide proof that the safe system of work has been adhered to

Mr Formby, not true. if you go in cheapest and have none of the above you will not get the contract

Mr Formby

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 09:38:26 pm »
 Dave
If I had spent as much as you have on training and making your business stand out I would like to beleive that I had a good chance on getting the job . But the way things are I do beleive that its all down to price

The most economically advantageous tender

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 09:40:28 pm »
Dave, there was no intent to shoot you down.
I'll provide whatever they want, but all they were interested in was, can you do it, will it be done better than the previous lot, and how much?
If someone threw that much paperwork at me before pricing it up, then i'd double the price.

Mr Formby

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2009, 09:47:52 pm »
[and how much?
/quote]

I quoted for a large job , I sent in all the documents I had Safe Contractor, IOSH, IPAF, Fed Cert, BWCA , Risk, Method  I got the job because I looked more proffesional. 4 years later I did not even get the chance to quote for it this year I was told they had got someone to do it cheaper.

NWH

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2009, 09:50:07 pm »
A funny handshake would suffice in a lot of cases ;)

Never in a million years, the documents are delivered electronically to an independent assessor straight from offerers computors, the employing authority doesnt get involved until the shortlisting stage and must be open, honest and accountable.

Complete rubbish how can you say that this dosen`t go on do you mean on this job or in general,i have gained many jobs myself in this way and i know a lot of members on here have due to 1 way or another,if your not in a certain club you have to wait until the cows come home to get certain jobs or even a sniff.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2009, 09:58:02 pm »
Neil

I said i agreed with you, i didnt mean to come across that way.

sorry about that.

back to the post

Now where were we

OK price might come into it all things being equal,

do you honestly think paperwork doesnt come into it ?

This particular contract has put the weighting on price at 30 if price was critical then the weighting on price would probably be 70 or 80

I hold my hands up again I am totally wrong, I have had meetings on this particular contract, and quite catagorically been told no qualty standards and no health and safety , and no comparables, you will not get the job.

I must have completely misunderstood everything i have been told and have read.

Silly me, I thought everything they were asking for was true.

Well you live and learn

pjulk

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2009, 10:03:21 pm »
Christ if i got asked for that lot i would think sod that i will stick to what i'm doing.

I don't have no huge accounts my biggest is only a few hundred per month.

But this is what i usually get asked for

PL insurance normally 5 mill
Method statement
Risk assesment
and have been asked for coshh certificates but not usually.

I have also been asked today for     
Professional Indemnity Insurance to the value of £250,000

But having talked to the insurance company today they said it's not applicable to my business so will have to get back to the customer on that one.