Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

chrismroberts

Ionics sled testing
« on: April 03, 2009, 08:26:04 pm »
Been off the forum for a week or 2, don't know if this is new? Kind of further to the Brodex thread a few weeks ago...

http://www.ionicsystems.com/english/crash_testing_development_tests.html

Nathanael Jones

Re: Ionics sled testing
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 08:39:57 pm »
Nice to see a full tank being tested, as I'm sure their previous tests were a smaller system and only half full if I remember right?

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 08:41:56 pm »
Nat

Thats the same test as there ever was, it is just highlighting that sled testing which Brodex have done is just a pre-curser to the real impact test.

chrismroberts

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 08:52:20 pm »
Nat

Thats the same test as there ever was, it is just highlighting that sled testing which Brodex have done is just a pre-curser to the real impact test.

Has it been newly posted? Sure I've not seen it before.

I know Ionics isn't very well liked, but their crash testing is appealing. I did check the prices on a delivery system though, and it IS pricey.....  :-\

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 08:54:10 pm »
I thought the first Ionics test was a 600 litre system half full??

It really does highlight some of the deathtraps we see pictures posted of on here though. RATCHET STRAPS ARE NOT ENOUGH!!!

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 08:54:37 pm »
I think they havent shown the sled testing before but they have with the impact test

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 09:14:37 pm »
The potential damage shown could be vastly reduced if the tank was to be tight up against a solid bukhead.
If you have a void between a 1000kg package and the driver then the void does not do anything to absorb the kinetic energy created.
I'd love to see a test done without any restraints but the 1000kg package firmly up against a firm bulkhead, and then move on from there.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 09:30:10 pm »
First of all I would like to say that I am fully in approval of Ionics and their crash test programme, it is a good thing.

However Brodex have come in for a fair bit of 'stick' recently for only using sled testing not the full impact test.

However having viewed all of the Ionics test videos it is interesting that the Ionics system actually shows a lot more damage after the 30mph test sled test than the full 30mph impact test. A full crash test looks very impressive, but actually puts a lot less strain on the system as the van's very expensive and extensively researched absorption zones actually cushion the blow.

You can see this if you compare the frame damage in the final crash test sled and the impact test. On the final sled test footage you can see that the lower bar on the cage actually shears in two, the cage is severely deformed and the tank almost looks like it is about to 'pop' out. Whereas on the impact video no such breakage occurs, the cage is not half as deformed and no imminent 'popping' out is apparent.

In my opinion the real test is the crash sled not the impact test. If I am going to be investing my money in a crash test programme I know where it will be spent.

Well done Ionics, but also well done to Brodex for realising the value of sled testing.

chrismroberts

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 10:09:38 pm »
First of all I would like to say that I am fully in approval of Ionics and their crash test programme, it is a good thing.

However Brodex have come in for a fair bit of 'stick' recently for only using sled testing not the full impact test.

However having viewed all of the Ionics test videos it is interesting that the Ionics system actually shows a lot more damage after the 30mph test sled test than the full 30mph impact test. A full crash test looks very impressive, but actually puts a lot less strain on the system as the van's very expensive and extensively researched absorption zones actually cushion the blow.

You can see this if you compare the frame damage in the final crash test sled and the impact test. On the final sled test footage you can see that the lower bar on the cage actually shears in two, the cage is severely deformed and the tank almost looks like it is about to 'pop' out. Whereas on the impact video no such breakage occurs, the cage is not half as deformed and no imminent 'popping' out is apparent.

In my opinion the real test is the crash sled not the impact test. If I am going to be investing my money in a crash test programme I know where it will be spent.

Well done Ionics, but also well done to Brodex for realising the value of sled testing.

I would imagine the tank cage is designed to absorb some of the energy of the impact, but not shear? Just makes you realise how much force is involved...

...Alex, will you be looking to do any crash testing for your systems?

The Ionics system is pricey, but I checked out the price of a similar Brodex system and they're almost the same.

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 11:18:33 pm »
I'm surprised by the lack of comments on this.
I can only guess I must be right 8)

The potential damage shown could be vastly reduced if the tank was to be tight up against a solid bukhead.
If you have a void between a 1000kg package and the driver then the void does not do anything to absorb the kinetic energy created.
I'd love to see a test done without any restraints but the 1000kg package firmly up against a firm bulkhead, and then move on from there.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 08:45:50 am »

...Alex, will you be looking to do any crash testing for your systems?

Yes we are.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 09:43:32 am »
I'm surprised by the lack of comments on this.
I can only guess I must be right 8)

Bulkheads aren't very strong, or secured to the vehicle frame very well. I don't doubt that they'd help, but a full 1000 litre system would go through it like it was paper!

The reason the cage was fitted away from the bulkhead (IMO) is to allow the cage to deform and absorb the energy of the crash without damaging the passenger compartment.

luther1

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 09:49:23 am »
Aren't most professionally fitted systems not placed against the bulkhead so as to distribute the weight more evenly?

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 10:59:47 am »

If I get a new van, I know where I will be going, neither Ionics or Brodex. But Gardiners.  ;D

luther1

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 02:03:54 pm »
The least of my worries after a crash would be the condition of my tank