Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

drevitt

Engine Lacquer for repairing pole
« on: April 03, 2009, 03:53:43 pm »
hi,
I am in need of some engine lacquer (spray) to put on my pole to repair / replace the worn down coating, is there any "High Street" shops or supermarkets that will sell this or am I best searching the net !!!

thanks

scud

Re: Engine Lacquer for repairing pole
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 04:01:17 pm »
  Halfords??

RO-Sheen

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 04:34:52 pm »
Yeah, Halfords sell it, but its not a long term fix. I've used it a few times and it gives the clamps a bit of grip for a couple of days but then it stars slipping again.
I now use X-tel poles from Gardiners and they are magic. poles have never collapsed on me.
Formerly known as GARGAAX

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 11:56:36 pm »
engine lacquer as to be built up in stages before applying rub your pole down with a fine grade wet & dry wipe off any surface dust with a tacky rag all good decorating shops sell these , spray the pole and allow to dry fully , this will take 14 days for full cure time , then repeat .
engine laquer is good at building u
p the thickness of the pole but only when used in the correct way .
where theres muck theres money

Window Washers

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 12:30:39 am »
engine lacquer as to be built up in stages before applying rub your pole down with a fine grade wet & dry wipe off any surface dust with a tacky rag all good decorating shops sell these , spray the pole and allow to dry fully , this will take 14 days for full cure time , then repeat .
engine laquer is good at building u
p the thickness of the pole but only when used in the correct way .
14 days  :o, time and effort on an xtel pole would be cheaper to replace.

RO-Sheen the post about buying an xtel from Alex G (they are all the same where ever you buy them from as far as I know, please correct me if |I am wrong on this.
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 01:04:17 am »
He probably, and most likely meant 14 hours.

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 08:50:19 am »
He probably, and most likely meant 14 hours.
no i meant 14 days thats for it to be fully cured if it aint left and you start to use your pole it flakes off .

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 09:03:09 am »
Yacht two-pack laquer/paint. It can be bought in almost any colour (I have a bright yellow). It has to be carefully mixed and sprayed on in ventilated spray booth. Costs about £25 for the paint and about £10 for the thinners.

Spray and allow to cure for 24 hours.

jouk45

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 11:19:45 am »
what pole are you using, if it is the xtel, do as dai suggested in a post a while ago,
open the clamps and put a bit of plastic coke bottle inside then put the cover back over, no need to laquer

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 10:53:45 pm »
Yacht two-pack laquer/paint. It can be bought in almost any colour (I have a bright yellow). It has to be carefully mixed and sprayed on in ventilated spray booth. Costs about £25 for the paint and about £10 for the thinners.

is this on your website alex and would you use this product ?

Londoner

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 07:20:14 am »
Just replace the sections, life is too short for all this messing about. Ex-tel poles should be treated as a consumable item.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 09:04:39 am »

is this on your website alex and would you use this product ?

It isn't on our website.  I bought it from a yacht chandlers.  I personally wouldn't bother these days as to prepare the pole and spray it properly takes several hours and whilst it does work very well an old fibre glass pole would not be worth the time and effort.  A carbon fibre pole may be worth it though!

jouk45

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 12:59:08 pm »
Just replace the sections, life is too short for all this messing about. Ex-tel poles should be treated as a consumable item.
vince there is no messing around, it takes only a few mins, better than forking out £30, split rings can be made for them, why dont excel do it, because they want us to buy the whole pole

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 01:27:14 pm »
vince there is no messing around, it takes only a few mins, better than forking out £30, split rings can be made for them, why dont excel do it, because they want us to buy the whole pole

The X-Tel are limited in their adjustment range, so a simple way to extend this is to remove the clamp band and then wrap some electrical tape around the four 'tongues' and re-fit the clamp ring this will effectively tighten the clamp further.