This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

andy2847

securing 25 ltr barrels
« on: March 13, 2009, 12:42:49 pm »
Hi
could anyone tell me who has experinece of how to secure 12-15, 25 ltr barrels for a trolley sytem in a berlingo size van(obviously not exceeding the payload) am not too sure how to go about this.Many thanks

Andy

dave0123

Re: securing 25 ltr barrels
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 01:52:20 pm »
I think it was LWC who placed them in his van next too each other then put some wood across the back of the barrels screwed to side of van keep them still.

What i do though is just stick a big 5 metre rachet strap round them and strap them to the lugage strapes in the back of van but i dont carry 12-15 only a few.
Dave.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 02:22:43 pm »
A steel frame would be the safest idea,..

EZclean

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 03:51:45 pm »
just bungee them all together then a ratchet strap half way up and across the lot. dont mind them all sliding and moving a bit, its when they and slide and topple and spill all over the place.
lidl had some superb ratchet straps in the other day, only a couple of quid each.
inc bungees.

EZclean - Cleaner Than Water

dave.e

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 03:59:42 pm »
better still get one big tank problem sorted

andy2847

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 04:08:13 pm »
better still get one big tank problem sorted

but could you still use a trolley if running off a tank, how would you fill the container up. sorry i prob sound a bit stupid but new to this!!!
Andy

matt

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 04:08:47 pm »
fit a tank in the van and get a sub pump to fill the barrel in your cart, my sub pump does 14 L per min cost me 10 quid ,  ( so takes under 2 mins to fill, if time gets a issue, i will just zip tie 2 togehter and it'll take under 1 min to fill ) no lifting etc etc

EZclean

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 04:14:20 pm »
thats a great idea..... just need a van  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
EZclean - Cleaner Than Water

andy2847

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 04:15:44 pm »
so i take it the sub pump runs off a spare battery???!!!
Where do you get one of these from, a garden centre??
think will look at the diy forum site im sure it will all be on there.
Cheers
Andy

jonisondell

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 05:12:32 pm »
forget the trolley get a tank, reel and pump and do it properly

dai

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 06:39:32 pm »
Cheers
Andy
You can buy a 500 gal per hour 12 volt bilge pump for under £20. Just look on the chandlery section on ebay

You can secure your containers by using an old ladder, you have to secure the ladder to the sides of the van[inside of course] and put a container between each rung, make sure the containers fit before you chop up the ladder.

matt

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 07:58:22 pm »
Cheers
Andy

i got mine from ebay its a small caravan sub pump ( though any camping shop will sell them ) , though as dai has said, you can get a 12 volt bilge pump for 20 quid, i decided on the small pump and they were cheap and i can connect just a norm bit of hose pipe to it

i went to my local recycling center ( used to be called the tip ) and just picked up 3 dead car batteries ( i made sure the guy wasnt watching ), 1 was dead and its since gone back to the center, the other i use on my trolley and the other is in my van to power the pump ( this battery i havent charged for the last 2 weeks and its still ok )

andy2847

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 08:52:40 pm »
Cheers guys
I am amazed how helpful people are on here its great!!! Thanks

tacky

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 10:20:20 pm »
what is that bit of kit the navy have .for securing depth charges .that should keep h/s happy . might have to strenghing ur chassis though

LWC

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2009, 10:41:07 am »
I think it was LWC who placed them in his van next too each other then put some wood across the back of the barrels screwed to side of van keep them still.

What i do though is just stick a big 5 metre rachet strap round them and strap them to the lugage strapes in the back of van but i dont carry 12-15 only a few.

Yeh i did and ratcheted round them too, then syphoned the water out to trolley/backpack with lengthof hose so i didnt have to keep lifting out.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 11:22:27 am »
If you are going to carry several barrels then as others have said, strap them in with a good heavy duty ratchet strap or straps.
But also have some very heavy duty bungees wrapped a couple of times through the anchor points.
If you have this done you can slide the ratchet straps through the hoops of the bungees, this allows some elasticity to take up any slack as you pull the rachets tight.

You may not think you would have any slack of course, but it does make a difference and helps to keep things from working loose.

But far better to have a tank in your vehicle and a submersible pump, I got my sub pump from Gardiners, but most of the suppliers do them, mine fills a 25l barrel in less than a minute.
As said, easy enough to power  the pump, just have an old car battery to run it off.
I may be fully van mounted, but I also have a backpack converted into a trolley, and this is used constantly.
Used in conjunction with the full van mount it works perfectly, they really complement each other.

A van tank is far more secure than a load of barrels, if you only wish to work with a trolley then you need only carry one or two barrels in the van with you.
You can then drop a full one off for instance if you are on a big job, just leave it somewhere half way around the job (we do this on a couple of jobs).

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

andy2847

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2009, 03:07:37 pm »
Thanks Ian sounds like u got it right and i think will go down similar route and put a tank in the van 350 ltr should be ok in berlingo 600kg payload.
thanks for your advice, much appreciated
Andy

matt

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2009, 09:01:29 pm »
Thanks Ian sounds like u got it right and i think will go down similar route and put a tank in the van 350 ltr should be ok in berlingo 600kg payload.
thanks for your advice, much appreciated
Andy

ive got the berlingo multispace and i have a 400 L tank in mine, the chasis rail is very good as it had holes in it, ideal to drill trough to mount the brackets