This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Milltown Cleaning

Brush and pole maintenance
« on: March 10, 2009, 09:41:43 am »
hi guys,

was just wondering what i need to do to maintain my pole and brush and give it a quick MOT, one of the jets has become blocked aswell?

cheers

edd

Re: Brush and pole maintenance
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 11:41:53 am »
ptfe spray from screwfix  and a small needle left in sun visor works a treat

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 01:20:28 pm »
Depending on the make of brush, it is usually fairly easy to clear a blocked jet. If it has external jets that have hose pushed on to the rear of the jet then pull off the hose from them (a little boiling water from your flask will help soften the pipe) and turn the water flow back on and it should push the blockage out of the jet hose.

With regard to pole maintenance the main thing is to keep the pole and hose clean. Most of the dirt that gets inside the pole comes from the pole hose. After every use of any telescopic pole I always wipe the hose down as I coil it up to put back in the van. The difference that this simple thing makes is considerable.

Every so often it is worth cleaning the inside of the pole. To do this undo all of the clamps and lay the brush head on the ground (bristle side up) then direct a hose jet of water down the base of the pole flushing out any dirt out, spray the jet in and around each clamp as well, then dry the pole off with a cloth (and a little non-waxed based household polish if required). Some people do the above every week as a matter of course, doing so will prolong the life of the pole as generally dirt and grit are the main wearing agents.

Milltown Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 11:33:10 pm »
cheers thanks for the help. i will try and keep my new pole in pristine condition!!

Londoner

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 07:38:58 am »
Another tip for poles in general. The sections wear out rather quickly in everyday use. Don't buy another pole just replace the section that has worn or split. I keep a few spare sections in my garage but both my everyday poles have been rebuilt several times over.

R W C

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 08:43:53 am »
Would this be ok for my slx

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/80487/Blades/Blade-Accessories/No-Nonsense-PTFE-Spray-Lubricant-400ml

It depends on whether it is a wet or a dry lubricant. If it is a wet lubricant then no it is not suitable, at the price I would imagine that it is a wet lubricant. You need a dry film PTFE spray for ultimate protection without slipping. We do sell this in our our Super-Lite spares section or you can buy it on-line at other retailers.

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 10:24:37 am »
ptfe spray on the sl-x only lasts a few days, if that. But I always give it a spray with the stuff when I clean it out.
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

john tomkins

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 02:57:42 pm »

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/80487/Blades/Blade-Accessories/No-Nonsense-PTFE-Spray-Lubricant-400ml

That's what I've started using and found it excellent although it is the wet stuff, previously I used WD40,
Alex, when you say the wet PTFE is not suitable, do you just mean that it slips a bit or that it could cause problems with the carbon fibre?

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 03:26:58 pm »

That's what I've started using and found it excellent although it is the wet stuff, previously I used WD40,
Alex, when you say the wet PTFE is not suitable, do you just mean that it slips a bit or that it could cause problems with the carbon fibre?

The only problem is that it may make the clamps less inclined to grip the pole sections. The Carbon Fibre should be fine with it as a substance though.

R W C

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 03:33:31 pm »
I done mine and the pole was lovely to use, a little greasy to start, clamps closed nicely with ease,

Chris