Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Dean Taberner

Would you do this?
« on: March 09, 2009, 11:10:45 pm »
I wouldnt.
Operations manager at J.V Price Ltd

http://www.thepricegroup.co.uk

Dean Taberner

Re: health and safety
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 11:12:46 pm »
I saw it today and couldnt help myself but  to take a photo.

I wouldnt consider it. The ladder was also on top of a bt grid too.

Dean

seandyer2003

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 11:18:07 pm »
i rested my ladder against a grid today, and it didnt half skid, (i wasnt on it by the way, i was doing something else cant remember what but it was resting there and just heard it falling, turned round and it was skidding across this grid... thought to myself, never put ladder on grid haha!!, or get wfp quicker :) thought id say that before anyone else :)

Dean Taberner

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 11:19:11 pm »
i rested my ladder against a grid today, and it didnt half skid, (i wasnt on it by the way, i was doing something else cant remember what but it was resting there and just heard it falling, turned round and it was skidding across this grid... thought to myself, never put ladder on grid haha!!, or get wfp quicker :) thought id say that before anyone else :)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

pingu

Re: Would you do this?
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 06:50:51 am »
Personally no....far too many risks involved not to mention location, passersby, etc

Dave.

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 07:23:28 am »
Silly.
One slip and that's a broken ankle, if he's lucky.
Not worth it.

LWC

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 08:01:31 am »
Wheres the top of the ladder resting? On the window?  :-\

Although ill be honest, ive been there many years ago, scrambling up a roof and then gripping onto the sills hoping and praying.

Aint we all been there?

johns window kleen

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 08:07:56 am »
The last time I saw that I was going in a motor parts shop just up the road. Flash thought, as I walked passed was, what an idiot.

10 Mins later on my walk back, the guy was laying in the gutter with a small crowd around him.

Its just not worth the risk.

George P

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 11:03:11 am »
i bet a lot of the older ladder guys before wfp did similar things to this, i did, never liked it but at the time it got the job done, never do it now as said its not worth the risk.

cozy

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 11:19:39 am »
WOW look at the foot of the ladder!!! No stabilizer and sloping ground. Good luck mate ???
Bet his wife has his life insurance

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 11:40:56 am »
Normally, with that I just use extention poles, and do it from the ground. However I probable would do that with a ladder except I would have racked the ladder above the window. I dont know what you guys mean by the grid? and yeah used some leveling equipment for the ladders if needed.

Also it does look like there is a small walkway along the roof if you look at it, so I dont think he is standing on the slopped part of the roof.

Dean Taberner

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 12:18:35 pm »
Normally, with that I just use extention poles, and do it from the ground. However I probable would do that with a ladder except I would have racked the ladder above the window. I dont know what you guys mean by the grid? and yeah used some leveling equipment for the ladders if needed.

Also it does look like there is a small walkway along the roof if you look at it, so I dont think he is standing on the slopped part of the roof.

there's no walkway. its lead flashing.

Dean

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 01:04:33 pm »

lead flashing or not, its still flat, plus he is holding on to the window with the two open windows you can see as well.

cozy

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 01:14:53 pm »
Deantaberner, get back round there and see if he is still up there. I can't see how he gets back down  ;D

pjulk

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 02:30:56 pm »
I used to do that all the time when i was traditional and thought nothing of it.

That slop on that roofs not that steep so easy enough to get on and off off ladder.

And as you have pointed out the top is flat most are not so not to bad.

You will find most window cleaners who where doing windows before WFP where doing this stuff on a daily basis.

Rob_B

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 03:09:11 pm »

You will find most window cleaners who where doing windows before WFP where doing this stuff on a daily basis.

I hold my hands up. I used to do before wfp.

trevor perry

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 03:18:51 pm »
i used to if i had to but in the case above there is no need, i would of had a larger ladder that reached above the windows and had the ladder tied to railings to stop it slipping then you could of reached the windows whilst still on ladder, he probably does it this way as he finds it quicker or he hasnt a bigger ladder if it wasnt for wfp i guess most of us would still be doing things like this and not thinking twice about it.
  one thing for sure when things where done like this you didnt get as many want to start window cleaning as a job.
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

Dean Taberner

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 03:19:26 pm »
Id like to point out that the top of the roof isn't flat. also the top of the ladder isn't against the window or the wall its just leaning against the guttering.

Dean

Dean Taberner

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 03:26:51 pm »
he also walked along the the roof to and cleaned the windows to his left which I thought was outragous!

Dean

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 03:33:01 pm »
we need these kind of pictures to remind us why WFP is the better choice