Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Londoner

Where have all the wheelie bin cleaners gone?
« on: March 08, 2009, 09:50:55 am »
A customer commented that here wheelie bin cleaner has stopped coming and did I know another. That made me think, I haven't seen one for ages now I come to think about it.

Time was a year or two back that hardly a day would go by without seeing one and every dustcart would have one following behind.

Is this a general trend and if so is it that the operators have thrown in the towel because they are fed up with it or has the money dried up?.

LWC

Re: Where have all the wheelie bin cleaners gone?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 09:51:37 am »
I heard its good money?

ftp

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 09:56:55 am »
I think health and safety make it harder - don't they have to recycle the waste water?

birdymiller

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 09:58:00 am »
Ive watched a few round my way and its got to be better paid than window cleaning but you are restricted to bin collection days.

Tosh

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 10:24:16 am »
I knew a guy who worked for a Wheelie Bin Cleaning company that was ran by one of my ex customers (I dropped him because he gave me a 'not this month, mate').

Anyway, the problems he told me was collecting the small sums of money invovled, and the administration of whose paid what; some who've paid in advance and who wants their bin cleaned when?

Coupled to the fact that this sort of industry never attracts the highest calibre of employees; I think the business failed because of the low-quality staff, poor management, and lack of proper administration.

I also know most of the guys were ripping off their boss; who they all hated.

LWC

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 10:27:23 am »
Theres a guy i know who does it, does very well out of it, runs it along side the windows.

birdymiller

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 10:32:36 am »
I once saw a round advertised in my local free ads, he wanted 10 times what it did a month :o

martinsadie

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 10:46:58 am »
dont see them much round here anymore but when you did they didnt seem to have enough to make it profitable,i never had it done,when it needs it hose pipe ,bleach yard brush ,5 mins job done  ;D ;D

R W C

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 11:07:17 am »
dont see them much round here anymore but when you did they didnt seem to have enough to make it profitable,i never had it done,when it needs it hose pipe ,bleach yard brush ,5 mins job done  ;D ;D

Nah id rather pay someone £3 a fortnight to do mine then do it myself

Londoner

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 11:08:48 am »
yway, the problems he told me was collecting the small sums of money invovled, and the administration of whose paid what; some who've paid in advance and who wants their bin cleaned when?

The business plan when I looked into it a couple of years back was that you got all the customers to pay by standing order so you didn't have to collect money.

And yes you do have to recycle the water because its illegal to discharge water onto the street or onto the rainwater drains.

The idea is that you have to follow the dustcart and clean the bins after they have been emptied but before the customer has a chance to put anything in it.

I think the job has been made vastly more complicated round here by the fact that we have three different bins now and they all get emptied at different times.  

martinsadie

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 11:12:28 am »

Nah id rather pay someone £3 a fortnight to do mine then do it myself
fortnight,more like every 3 months  ;D ;D