This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

bad trippy

Getting around the backs wfp
« on: March 06, 2009, 03:51:31 pm »
I see a slight prob here because if custy is out and your wfp you cant exactly split the ladder and over you go or up and over a garage roof to get to the backs, i know many like to ring the custy the night before and arrange for the gate to be left open, thats ok but a lot of calls plus it may be bad weather the next day and your gonna have to ring em up again and repete the process. Do any of you wfp guys carry a ladder to use for just getting over gates or roofs or is it impossible to carry all that stuff in one hit?
www.clearviewbristol.co.uk
Add me on Facebook clear view window cleaning

Mike 108

Re: Getting around the backs wfp
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 04:49:33 pm »
I always carry a ladder - and I occasionally use it to climb over a gate, or a garage roof, if the job is worth it.

With terraced houses, I'll only agree to do the fronts of the houses every month. Backs of terraced houses have to be done 'by appointment' and are charged at a higher rate.

Also, ladders still help in advertising the fact that you are a window cleaner (they catch the public's eye).

Mike

tonylee

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 04:50:34 pm »
Is it not the same trad?
Tony

tomy jackson

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 04:58:19 pm »
iv got a 6ft 6" dubel in van just for acsess

Helen

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 05:08:16 pm »
Is it not the same trad?
Tony
Have to admit I thought the same  :) If you've gotta go over you have to go over whether using wfp, bucket or baked beans ;D ;D
Much easier to make that call the day before  :)

bad trippy

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 05:22:03 pm »
Is it not the same trad?
Tony
Have to admit I thought the same  :) If you've gotta go over you have to go over whether using wfp, bucket or baked beans ;D ;D
My basic point was do you carry ladders for rear access? My thought being that is it poss to carry your hose and pole plus a ladder in one hit as oposed to having to make two journeys back n forth to your van to fetch the ladder, as in trad you carry the ladder and bucket all in one hit
www.clearviewbristol.co.uk
Add me on Facebook clear view window cleaning

Helen

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 05:47:28 pm »
Is it not the same trad?
Tony
My basic point was do you carry ladders for rear access? My thought being that is it poss to carry your hose and pole plus a ladder in one hit as oposed to having to make two journeys back n forth to your van to fetch the ladder, as in trad you carry the ladder and bucket all in one hit

Jump out the van/car, check the gate or whatever, takes no time at all, then decide what you have to take with you. Still easier to make the call the day before :)

martinsadie

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 05:49:45 pm »
Is it not the same trad?
Tony
if you dont want to go back for your ladder use your pole to vault the gate  ;D ;D ;D

Mike 108

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 05:52:24 pm »
Two journeys! It will be too much hassle. If the back gates locked - don't do it.

Make sure they understand that from the start.

It's better to have more 'fronts only' and do the backs 'only by appointment'. You can then look upon the 'occasional' extra money as a bonus.

Mike

tonylee

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 05:53:49 pm »
How much do you want the job?
When I first went wfp I dropped any that the only option was to go over garage roofs. Now I do a couple, they pay well and whats a little extra time.
So to answer your question, its not a problem unless you make it one.
Tony

martinsadie

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 05:54:35 pm »
Two journeys! It will be too much hassle. If the back gates locked - don't do it.

Make sure they understand that from the start.

It's better to have more 'fronts only' and do the backs 'only by appointment'. You can then look upon the 'occasional' extra money as a bonus.

Mike
try that round here and they will look for a cleaner who will do it all  ;D

Mike 108

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 07:21:28 pm »
Stan

I might be lucky - but this is how I do it.

As I am doing the 3rd monthly clean, I tell them that I am available to clean the 'backs' on the following Saturday, if they want me to.

Most say "Oh yes please" and make sure the gate is open for me. They all know that the charge for the 'backs' is more than for the 'fronts' for the time involved carting everything round to the back/awkward access/dirtier windows/more difficult windows (in a lot of cases)/working on a Saturday (whatever).

It seems to work OK for both of us. A lot of people are more concerned about the cleanliness of the front of the house than they are about the rear.

Mike

pjulk

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 08:57:07 pm »
I use my small pointer to unlock gates i don't climb over.

If i can't reach the lock i have a fishing gaff in the van and use this to unbolt the gate.

If the gate is padlocked i just clean the front.

Dave Turley

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 08:47:08 am »
i've passed on most of my "up & over" and "go through garage/house" work to my brother and stepdad  ;D

if I quote any nowadays, I add on a fiver for the extra hassle. this usually puts them off, but if not that's ok as the price is good.

I tend to add a couple of pounds on  if I need to call/text re locked gates. I don't charge extra for unbolting gates as it only adds about a minute to the job.

if in time I find that it's difficult to catch them in, I usually dump them.

life really seems to get easier when you've built up your round to a point where you can pick and choose.

ftp

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 08:53:25 am »
I was ladderless for the first year but now carry ladders. It's less hassle to climb over to be honest - no more phoning the night before or fuming when they forget to unlock the gate. Some people don't like it mind and can't believe how easy it is to gain access.
Others think their house is like fort knox and just don't believe you can get round the back.

Londoner

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 09:22:41 am »
This is one of those "horses for courses" questions. When you are trad you tend to work one way, when you are WFP you work differently.
Some customers are always going to not fit the new format and thats just the way it goes. On the other hand other customers you wouldn't have done in the past now become possible. I think there are many more of the second type so the balance goes in your favour.

Ultimately you have to weed out all these problem customers because all the messing about climbing over gates and garages wastes so much time. I simply don't do it any more.

An essencial part of the WFP formula ( to me) is its quick and easy. It is possible to do more customers in a day and its less tiring. This vital advantage is lost if you bring over all the deadwood customers from the past.

Steel yourself, tell them nicely that you can't do them anymore but you will pass their details on to someone who can. Then go out and canvass up some new customers that suit your new working methods.

Dave Turley

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2009, 10:33:55 am »
This is one of those "horses for courses" questions. When you are trad you tend to work one way, when you are WFP you work differently.
Some customers are always going to not fit the new format and thats just the way it goes. On the other hand other customers you wouldn't have done in the past now become possible. I think there are many more of the second type so the balance goes in your favour.

Ultimately you have to weed out all these problem customers because all the messing about climbing over gates and garages wastes so much time. I simply don't do it any more.

An essencial part of the WFP formula ( to me) is its quick and easy. It is possible to do more customers in a day and its less tiring. This vital advantage is lost if you bring over all the deadwood customers from the past.

Steel yourself, tell them nicely that you can't do them anymore but you will pass their details on to someone who can. Then go out and canvass up some new customers that suit your new working methods.

good post vince, spot on

williamx

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2009, 11:40:27 am »
I always telephone the night before, if its raining really hard the next day the customer knows I will not be turning up that day.

If the rains stops and I turn up and the gate is locked, I just clean the front, leave a ticket and clean the back at the next clean.

I know many customers who have complained about cleaners climbing over their gates or roofs and the damage that is left behind, mainly from broken or displaced guttering.

Don't forget if you cause damage, you are liable, and how hard is it going to be for you to prove that the loose or broken guttering was already there, if you haven't climbed over it you cannot break it.