Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Fieldsy

If you had the option of......
« on: March 06, 2009, 09:34:10 am »
.....another job, would you do it ??. Apart from the money side of things if another job was available that resulted in the same if not slightly more money would you jump ship. Taking into consideration it may be more money, but office work,  possibly shifts, answering to others etc...

The reason I ask, I worked night shift for close to 20 years, on resonable, but not particularly good money, clocking in, clocking out, watching the clock, answering to works managers etc....  I always wanted to work for myself and detest the idea of working for someone. Since starting window cleaning, I've felt better in myself, thoroughly enjoying it (as I've said many times..lol), and can work at my own independance. I DO NOT WANT TO WORK FOR ANYONE !!...lol. I wouldn't want to ever go back to it, and even if it was another trade, I still don't think I could now take the confinement of a factory/office job.

If you were offered different employment on roughly the same income would you consider it or are you happy with your lot  :) I'm just interested to see if anyone thinks the grass is greener?? Is there a  job out there that you would be happy to do/try if it meant earning the same wage as w/c, or do you value your independance??

I would obviously like to be a premiership footballer, but in my 40's I don't think I stand much chance....lol......and I don't think its on the same pay ratio as window cleaning...lol
If Carlsberg made window cleaners....I'd be one of them....lol

ZaNo

Re: If you had the option of......
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 09:48:18 am »
I wouldnt mind being one of those people that get paid 6figures for a 9to5 office job with lunch breaks! 8)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 09:48:40 am »
If I could earn the same money making scenic models of railway engines or aeroplanes then I would! Unfortunately Airfix aren't recruiting for a self-employed diorama consultant! ;D ;D ;D

I'd also drive or fire a steam engine on a preserved railway but as you have to spend 5 years cleaning the bogs, clearing out the ash, working in the restaurant car's kitchens and do what the "Fat Controller" says on kiddie weekends - all for free - then that's not gonna happen either.

More seriously? I think in hindsight I'd like to have had a trade in the carpentry/joinery field -but only if I was self employed. And I don't think the money would be hugely different.

It's a game of three halves!

Milltown Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 10:44:13 am »
i have just quit one of my other options 5minutes ago!! I was doing a bit of chef work part time, now i have invested in WFP i feel its time to go full time at it!

ftp

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 11:10:13 am »
Funny thing is i'm really peed off with window cleaning at the moment - must be the wrong time of the month again.  :-\

Another cup of coffee and i'll go back out again in a moment.

matt

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 11:14:23 am »
Funny thing is i'm really peed off with window cleaning at the moment - must be the wrong time of the month again.  :-\

Another cup of coffee and i'll go back out again in a moment.

you have a easy life you do ;)

ftp

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 11:19:38 am »
Yeah a bit too easy today, just a few jobs left to do then pick up my daughter from school. I should be canvassing really - next week's looking grim. Still if the sun comes out i'll find a nice big hill to sit on for some fresh air.  :)

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 11:52:45 am »
FTP, I think everyone gets like that no matter what job you are in, and the grass is always greener on the other side yes, but I am happy. I worked as a member of management in a shop for 6 years and even I didn't like taking orders or putting up with staff’s complacency. No I won’t do that again if you paid me double.

Jimmy1

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 12:41:44 pm »
Its great being your own boss, I wouldnt swap it for any amount.

pingu

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 02:24:21 pm »
I would love to work with dogs...training etc....but I have to admit that whilst w/c does bore me to tears it is reletively stress free and I do to a certain extent control what happens..

But if the lottery comes up...I'll buy that piece of land build a house and put a kennel /cattery on it(far from the house that is ;D

Cheers
Dave.

dave.e

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 03:19:52 pm »
I would not give up window cleaning for all the tea in china and i could not take orders anymore i would get the sack within a day.

pjulk

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 04:25:06 pm »
Pingu said
I would love to work with dogs...training etc..

Thats what i do on a sunday dog training classes.

But i'm not fully qualified yet im still training myself but do take classes and agility.

I also compete in working trials competitions with my dogs.

So if i could earn in dog training the same as i get window cleaning i would do it.

Fieldsy

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 04:27:37 pm »
Thanks for being honest, I can really associate with Dave above, I really do not want to be told what to do and when to do.................oh except by the missus   :-* :-*  lol
If Carlsberg made window cleaners....I'd be one of them....lol

Helen

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 05:11:00 pm »
Would like to be a fat cat banker for someone and retire with a £700,000.00 pension :o :o :o

ftp

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 05:14:48 pm »
I work with dogs........

Well what comes out of them - customer said can you clean the back today? Gives me the money then gets in her car "oh it might smell of Jeyes fluid" and off she goes.
The back yard was a cesspit of dog crap mixed into a slurry of Jeyes Fluid what with that and the cattery built on the back it was close to chucking up time. Dirty filthy bitch!
The customer that is.

Helen

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 05:22:59 pm »
I work with dogs........

Well what comes out of them - customer said can you clean the back today? Gives me the money then gets in her car "oh it might smell of Jeyes fluid" and off she goes.
The back yard was a cesspit of dog crap mixed into a slurry of Jeyes Fluid what with that and the cattery built on the back it was close to chucking up time. Dirty filthy bitch!
The customer that is.
Would have put the money back through the letterbox wit a note explaining why the job hadn't been done >:(

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 05:23:41 pm »
I work with dogs........

The customer that is.

I would of posted the money through the letter box and never returned

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 05:24:47 pm »
two great mind helen, we posted that at the same time too

ftp

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 05:30:01 pm »
I had already walked through it trailing my hose before i realised exactly what it was - the Jeyes Fluid had masked the smell. It was the tell tell furry coats on all the lumps of  'mud' that hadn't broken down that gave it away.

Ian W

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2009, 06:01:46 pm »
No, I don't want to go back to employment. Happy being a window cleaner. Far less stress than working in the ferry trade, dealing with awkward customers, motivating staff, etc.

I am happy and that is all that counts in my book.   ;D
Do all the good you can, and make as little fuss about it as possible.
Charles Dickens