Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

peter holley

Re: £5 Per house
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2009, 10:16:41 pm »
 :othis post is brilliant coz all the newbies will want to charge £5 lol ....goodbye hnewbies lol ;D

stay white n bright window cleaning service

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2009, 10:26:50 pm »
Im a newbie (couple of months) my leaflets state from £5 my average is £8 odd few £9,this week done 3 first cleans for the price of normal clean just to get the custom.The £5 clean is here in my area finding it very hard to get new customers ,if it carrys on will have to join them or pack up or is any body got a window cleaning vacancy in the hinckley ,leicestershire area

geoffreyspecht

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2009, 10:29:39 pm »
last time i cleaned a house for £5 was twenty years ago

bad trippy

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2009, 10:33:47 pm »
Im a newbie (couple of months) my leaflets state from £5 my average is £8 odd few £9,this week done 3 first cleans for the price of normal clean just to get the custom.The £5 clean is here in my area finding it very hard to get new customers ,if it carrys on will have to join them or pack up or is any body got a window cleaning vacancy in the hinckley ,leicestershire area
keep plugging away mate its not a sprint but from past experience its worth all the pain in the end, regardless of the credit crunch, one day you will look back and think thank god i stuck with it
www.clearviewbristol.co.uk
Add me on Facebook clear view window cleaning

Ian_Giles

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2009, 10:48:00 pm »
To leaflet houses saying a fiver a house is just so unprofessional and shows total business inexperience or knowledge.

As the original poster said, how on earth can you clean one house with say...10 small windows for a fiver, then go on to the next that has 20 big windows and a large conservatory and still charge a fiver...crazy.

When I started window cleaning some 27 years ago it was - as has been stated by someone else - a means to an end while I waited for the building trade to pick up, much the same as a great many newbies will now be  doing...hoping to earn a little cash while waiting for that 'proper job' to come along.

It turned into my means of earning a living for the rest of my life of course, but even though I was starting it up as a means to an end I still did a huge amount of research, especially where price was concerned!

Underpricing is something that just about everyone who starts up in this job falls victim to, but if you don't learn, and learn fast, then you will earn only peanuts, and most will jack the job in way before they have enough work on board to make a decent living.
The average sole trader window cleaner turns over around 17k per year, take out even the most basic costs and you are left with something like 12k, less than half the national average income.
You can earn more working in a warehouse....er...well you could when there was still work in them :-[
And you get holiday pay, sick pay and so on.

So many undervalue their worth, they really do.

I have a few accounts that I charge just a fiver for, got a few where I charge even less too, but they are the exception and not the rule.
I was charging a fiver for an average house 20 years ago, ain't no way I'd want to go back to earning so little!

I'm not worried about newbies starting out and charging so little, I am seeing plenty of of new window cleaners about now, but I am not really worried as there is only so much work to go around, those of us with long established rounds may well lose a few accounts here and there, but if 20 newbies try and start up in my area, just how much work do you really think they are going to pick up? Regardless of how little they might charge.
Any area can only support so many window cleaners.
I clean the houses of some very wealthy people, prices varying from £18.00 up to £200 plus, inexperienced newbies charging pennies are not going to stand a snowballs chance in hell of making a dent in these accounts, these are people that trust me with their key codes to get into their houses (er...not inside the houses themselves of course!)

Those charging a fiver are not idiots, if they have established rounds - as many of those who have replied on this post have - then they have developed their rounds to suit their lifestyles, pay their bills and so on.
Neither are those that are starting out in the job.
They may have watched some experienced window cleaner knocking out the house over the road in what looks like just a few minutes, he makes the job look like a doddle, collects a tenner and goes off to the next house and earns another tenner in just a few minutes...easy money eh?
Maybe he thinks to himself, "I can do that, and I'll do it for half the money, why hell, if I do 3 an hour I'll be earning myself £15 quid an hour!"
So off he goes, buys some ladders, a squeegee a bucket and an applicator from Wilkinsons, does his neighbour's place and a few friends and off he goes!
The reality is very different of course, it takes many months to pick up enough work to earn enough to make a living, it also takes months to be able to do the job quickly enough to knock out 3 houses an hour to a good standard too!!

Not all newbies look on forums such as this one to learn all they can about the job, and even those that do can be blinded by the possibility of the 'potential' earnings that can be generated in this line of work (the reality is about 12k a year income for most) so they often start out in ignorance of what the job entails...but they soon learn! ;D

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

tomy jackson

« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2009, 08:29:25 am »
well sade ian

« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2009, 11:37:11 am »
well answered

kenaltobelli

« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2009, 06:59:09 pm »
ian how long to type all that

Ian_Giles

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2009, 08:43:48 pm »
Quote from: kenaltobelli link=topic=71114. msg621246#msg621246 date=1236365949
ian how long to type all that

Quite a while!!  :P

I tend to write long winded posts and waffle on for ages I'm afraid :-[

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

martinsadie

« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2009, 08:45:53 pm »
i keep them short,its hard work with two fingers  ;D ;D

SteveAllan

« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2009, 10:43:10 pm »
Did a bit of canvassing today on some ex council houses some terraced some semi 3 beds. When i gave my quote of £7 was told you'll have to beat a £5 if ya want them :o I just dont know how they can be done for that.

martinsadie

« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2009, 10:46:27 pm »
Did a bit of canvassing today on some ex council houses some terraced some semi 3 beds. When i gave my quote of £7 was told you'll have to beat a £5 if ya want them :o I just dont know how they can be done for that.
easily if your not greedy   ;D ;D

SteveAllan

« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2009, 11:06:34 pm »
Do ya do a lot of £5 houses Stan? Is this reality then, maybe i should lower my expectations.

martinsadie

« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2009, 11:08:04 pm »
i do a lot for less than £5 and make a good living  ;D ;D
 the secret is getting your work compact,i park up and dont move the car till dinner  ;D

Window Washers

« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2009, 11:18:57 pm »
they might be flyby but these people are putting these sort of prices into peoples heads it wont be long until people only accept there windows done for a fiver.
not if you explain things to people, I had the same last night I was twice and a half more expensive, I got the job and got the next doors aswell why, because i ofer a full package to them, I am insured, they are also, i offer more than most others do round my way. If people what to PAY £5 THEY SHOULD OFFER BANANAS AS A TREAT FOR THE WINDOW CLEANER
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

martinsadie

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2009, 11:20:35 pm »
i like bananas  ;D ;D ;D

Window Washers

« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2009, 11:21:41 pm »
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

geefree

« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2009, 02:09:01 am »
ive got a mate hes been window cleaning 25 years,he can do 10 council houses in an hour 4.50 a house off ladders,he does them properly as well 45 an hour

im sorry i think thats utter rubbish...i can if i soap up squeegie down twice..... and nothing else...otherwise its rubbish..

sorry.

Dave Turley

« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2009, 07:43:37 am »
I started nov 2004 charging £5 per council house because I didn't know any better. the price was the same if leaded or if I had to go up and over. I used damp and dry riipped up flannelette bedsheets and did a good job!

when I started I used to go knocking doors until I had 8 customers for the next days work.

I had packed in an easy driving job paying £180 net a week (which i'd been doing as I was fed up with stressful jobs such as salegotiator, transport office scheduler and tool hire sales rep).

so I was making £200 a week cash for that first month. it was the hardest work i've ever done in my life- knocking, first cleans, collecting, knocking.......

but I stuck with it, grew wiser, got a squeegee, got better....

once I had enough work I started charging  more for new jobs, weeding out bad custies, awkward houses, refining my round and having price increases.

now I have hot wfp, an 06 toyota hiace, a uniform, no collections (cheque payments) and I can honestly say i'm the most expensive window cleaner I know!

I get away with this because my custies know I do a cracking job every time, don't miss windows etc and they can trust me.

for those same council houses I now charge £12-£15 for new jobs. I still have a few of the easiest original jobs- now at £7. these get done when i've nothing better to do.

so I think it's all a matter of perspective. I charge what I think I can get away with and will be more competitive for easy wfp houses. I get about 40% of the jobs I quote for (i don't want about 40% of the jobs I quote for). the other 20%- well that's life!

my point is.... god this has nearly killed me writing all this...... i'm in a very different position to when I started out. I needed the work and quoted cheap!

I wouldn't have cleaned a massive for a fiver though! 

;)

birdymiller

« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2009, 09:44:26 am »
£5 per house - depends how long the house takes you. If it takes under 10 minutes thats great (£30 an hour) under 15 minutes dont want too many like this (£20 an hour) any houes that takes longer than 20 minutes has go to be better priced than a fiver. Most of the houses that i clean are under ten minute jobs, nice and compact, wfp too slow to use on the majority (cant be stood around waiting for drips to stop, scrubbing birdmuck, getting hose stuck etc) trad is so much quicker on this type of work. I have a house (3 bed semi council) that i do for £2.50 every fortnight, crazy i know its a 5 minute job and she got me alot of other good priced work next to hers 10 years ago and havent had the heart or brains to put it up since. £2.50 for 5 minutes still brings me up to my target per hour though so alls good.