Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

HQCS (John Kastrian)

Re: new laptop
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2009, 09:56:22 pm »
Yes,would like to see the evidence to back up the statement that Toshiba equipment is rebadged Bush gear.
Where can this be found m8?
Thinking of buying a Tosh telly,but if it is a bush as you say may think twice.-John

Bob Robertson

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2009, 10:06:51 pm »
Derek

That's the same model Ive got, VMS-001 nice bit of kit for leather ID.

Bob

Bob Robertson

vision tech

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2009, 10:30:14 pm »
Acer
Aspire 8920

which bestbuy
I started out with nothing......I still have most of it.

derek west

« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2009, 10:36:13 pm »
cheers vision tech
any spec and price on that?
derek

vision tech

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2009, 10:39:16 pm »
Review
 Test results
 Full specification
 Compare prices

With its large screen and keyboard, good sound quality and blu-ray playback, Acer is certainly offering a lot of machine for the money with its Apsire 8920.

As laptops go, it's big. It needs to be to cater for the 18.4-inch screen under its stiff, heavy lid. All this size makes significantly heavy - the Aspire weighs 4.2kg, more than two and a half times the lightest full-sized laptop in our test. You probably wouldn't want to be lugging it around or resting it on your lap for too long.

It was one of the fastest at carrying out the everyday tasks we set it, too. With the latest draft-n Wi-Fi connectivity, the Aspire's wireless data transfer was slick, as well, although as with all the laptops on test, the speed of transfer dropped off significantly when we moved two rooms away from our test wireless router.

The huge screen is let down slightly by uneven backlighting. It's a glossy screen so, as with others of this type, you can expect screen reflections.

We found that the keyboard is spongy and bendy, and it's also quite dark and difficult to read - but we liked the extra numeric keypad that you don't find on smaller laptops. Despite its size, the Aspire's touch pad is small. It works fine though, and is easy to use.

We were really impressed with the Aspire's built-in speakers. Typically, laptop speakers deliver poor sound but these are good. We found that speech playback is clean and clear and the treble and bass notes sound good. The Aspire boasts another rarity in laptops in this price bracket - a Blu-ray player that can be used to watch high-definition movies on Blu-ray discs.

The Aspire comes with good documentation but the laptop's ports are labelled with raised black lettering that, on the black casing, makes them hard to read.

Battery life isn't great - about an hour and three quarters when playing a DVD, around two and a half hours if you're using the wireless connection

Pros: Big screen, big keyboard, Blu-ray playback

Cons: Portability-limiting weight, keyboard is hard to read and spongy

Darren O

« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2009, 10:42:22 pm »
I couldnt give a toss if you belive me or not go and buy one if you want.

Jim Gibbard

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2009, 10:43:50 pm »
need a new one, this one had it.
went to pc world and for some reason, the only stock on the 2 lappys i wanted were on display.
just been on dell.com and built one, but could do with some feedback before committing.
any ideas before i spend best part of a grand?

derek

Derek,
Don't know whether this will help, re  "new laptop".
A guy who repairs my computer when needed has just repaired a HP laptop for one of my neighbours.  All he needed to do was change the hard drive which had crashed.  But, the interesting part was what he said before he even looked at it, given the symptoms of the problem.

He said it was most likley a scrapper as HP had had a big problem with the motherboards on that particular model ( 14 months old ) .  He quoted a problem with the NVidea graphics processor.  Anyway, luckily for the neighbour it was not that problem.  So, I told him I was looking at buying a laptop and asked what he thought would be best

In his opinion it was a SONY VAIO  or an ACER as they were quality builds. You may pay a little more, but you will not be scrapping it just after the guarantee runs out.  Dell were OK but not in the same league.

So, looking back through the posts, the Acer mentioned seems to be a great buy and spec.  I have seen a "Sony Vaio", in the MAKRO magazine for about £540.  Intel core duo processor, 3GB memory, 320 GB HDD,  15.4" WXGA Display, Built in web cam, Windows Vista Home Premium.    Great spec and great quality together !!.  I think if you search online you will find this very a competitive deal.

Hope this helps in your laptop replacement search.

Jim G

www.spic-n-span.co.uk
Cleaning is our Game - Excellence is our Aim !!!

vision tech

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2009, 10:48:17 pm »

Misco UK  In stock  £811.99
 February 2009  £816.98

vision tech

« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2009, 10:52:06 pm »
derek,
If you want info on any other laptop let me know,
im registered with which?

derek west

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2009, 11:02:50 pm »
cheers VT, great post. i'll have a study in whsmith tomorrow and pop into curry's to see the acer.

cheers jim, i'll check out makro. vaio's seem a good build and you can't fault sony.
derek

clinton

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2009, 11:07:11 pm »
I have got an acer aspire the basic one and does me and as they change spec all the time i can afford
at the price to upgrade in the year and have this for doing invoices and a presentation to be kept in the van :)

Darren O

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2009, 11:12:18 pm »
Another thing the guy told me was most Bush remote controls will work with Toshiba tvs but i never tried it as i have never bought a Bush tv.He deffinetly said they were Bush tvs with Toshiba badges on them and they were taking over about 6 years ago by the company that owns Matsui and a few other makes might not of been Bush but said it was a Bush tv inside also heard the majority of Sony tvs have Samsung parts in them to heard its quite comen with tvs and electrical goods.

Jim Gibbard

« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2009, 11:18:54 pm »
Derek,
If you are after an Acer, They sell some laptop models at "Tesco".  If they have the model you want, I think they may be the best on price.

Jim G
www.spic-n-span.co.uk
Cleaning is our Game - Excellence is our Aim !!!

HQCS (John Kastrian)

« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2009, 11:21:13 pm »
Darren,take a chill pill m8,was only thinking that maybe you had read this somewhere,nobody is saying that they disbelieve you,maybe you had a bad day. :)
You are spot on with the price of Tosh tellys they do seem cheap in comparison to the likes of Samsung/Philips/Panasonic/LG etc.
Our 50" rear projection has recently packed up,not worth repairing as it's about 8 years old,so looking for a replacement,was considering another Toshiba on price alone but having second thoughts now and will check out some other main brand names.-John

Darren O

« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2009, 11:26:23 pm »
John i was a bit short with you there mate its been a long day, but dont buy another Toshiba a few years ago they were one of the dearest tvs out look at the price of them now.

HQCS (John Kastrian)

« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2009, 11:31:56 pm »
Will take your advice on board Darren,cheers.

Sorry for taking this thread off topic boys.

My Mrs has an Acer laptop (7220),and they are good value for money,they are very prone to microphone volume problems on the models with built in webcam and mic,this can be rectified by making sure you have the latest audio driver as they can become corrupted.-John

vision tech

« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2009, 11:39:43 pm »
dont buy toshiba,
I rent my tv samsung 37 inch,just got it before xmas,
when i went in to the shop to upgrade they where going to give me a tosh
I said no because i looked them up on(which) and it give a poor quality on picture, the girl in the office agreed and because i was a longstanding customer
I could have the samsung I wanted, sound quality is not good but i have a sony surround system and its brill.

Ricky M

« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2009, 06:43:15 am »
I know nowt bout laptops but have a Toshiba EQUIUM it works well and looks ok , just buying a palm held and extra long cable to link USB micro prob next month for Leather work to show clients , recon it will look slicker with the client then humping the laptop around IMO of course !
www.ability1975.co.uk
                          www.carpetcleaninguttoxeter.co.uk  
              NCCA !? but why have non of my clients herd of them ??