Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Glen

Squeegie leaving streaks
« on: February 09, 2009, 10:55:38 am »
I've been using the traditional method for many years now but still can't avoid leaving streaks when I return across the glass. This is especially the case when the rubber is new with a sharp edge. It becomes less of a problem when the ends start to wear down.

I'm using ettore or pulex rubber and a dog-earred Ettore channel.

Any advice on how to avoid this would be appreciated.

Ian Lancaster

Re: Squeegie leaving streaks
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 11:02:27 am »
Afraid its purely down to technique, Glen.  Over the years we all acquire bad habits and need to break them.  Without seeing you in action, its impossible to say what youre doing wrong.  I have trained many window cleaners, (employees and franchisees) and each time I notice something in my own technique that needs correcting.  Teaching other people is a great way to refine your method - as they make mistakes you have to work out whats wrong and how to avoid it.

ZaNo

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 11:09:00 am »
Do you use the S stroke?

Glen

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 11:18:05 am »
I normally start on the LHS of the window and squeegie to the RHS then go down about a foot , double back over this area and then proceed over to the LHS again. This is where the thin trail of 'suds' apepars, as they escape over the edge of the squeegie.

Is there a detailed training video clip I can view?

mikethechamois

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 11:21:40 am »
as iansays its very difficult to advise without watching your technique so forgive me if i go back to basics

do you have your thumb on top of the handle and are you holding the squeegee
light enough

a new rubber should clear the glass easier than a worn rubber providing you have the sharp edge on the glass, if you press too hard and the rubber folds back on itself you will leave smears

i havent been happy with pulex or ettore rubbers for a while now and have this morning taken delivery of some unger channels and rubber

i havent been able to try them yet as its chucking it down today

i take it that you know that the soft rubber is for cold weather and the hard for hot

im sorry if this is a bit basic  but without watching you i cant really advise on your technique

ZaNo

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 11:32:31 am »
Iv looked through a few vids couldnt really find a decent one but i did find this which is pretty simular to what im talking about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edWbys20Cdw
i use this sort of technique just not at a snails pace like this bloke.

Bobs Window Cleaning

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 11:34:22 am »
Make sure the top of your blade is in front of the bom. blade the window at a slight angle.
Why oh Why did he spell my name as bod & not bob on my wedding invites.

Glen

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 11:35:20 am »
Thanks for your replies. I suppose I do lean quite heavily on the squeegie as,despite trying numerous concoctions, I cannot get a solution that will allow the rubber  to 'glide' across the glass.

With regard to hard and soft rubber - I don't think it gets hot enough in Ireland to warrant changing to a hard rubber in summer.

By the way, I have found that Pulex rubbers start leaving fine streaks across the entire length of the squeegie rubber after a couple of hours of use and have made this known to Pulex who have 'never had any other complaint about this'. I used to use Unger but found them too rigid when turning. I find Ettore the best of a bad bunch.

mikethechamois

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 12:00:59 pm »
my mam lives in ireland so i know what you mean ;D ;D ;D

i found the same thing with pulex ,it only seems to be the last year or so its become really noticable

if unger proves to be no better i shall return to ettore as they seem better than pulex

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 12:12:30 pm »
A few points:  As Bod says, if water is escaping at the top of the squeegee, you might be "leaning back".  The upper end of the blade must be ahead of the lower.  In that way all the water is directed down the glass.  If you have the squeegee blade vertical, or leaning back, water will run up it and over the top.

As to technique, I always teach that you should place the blade on the glass near the top and in the middle of the pane.  Then (with the top end leading) sweep up to the top frame and match the direction of the stroke to the edge of the window (to avoid hitting the frame which will cause a jump and leave a mark).  Sweep across to the corner at an angle of 45 degrees until the leading edge of the blade reaches the corner.  Bring the squeegee smoothly to a stop and without changing the angle of the blade start bringing the squeegee down the side till you reach the bottom.  On the way down smoothly change the angle so you arrive at the bottom corner with the blade at 45 degrees with the leading end lowest (into the corner).  Sweep a short distance across the bottom and then up to where you started at the top, turning the blade as you go so that you arrive at the top edge, just before the bit youve already done with the squeegee angled the opposite way.  

Repeat as above into the other corner and then down.  Now you have cleared three sides of the pane.  The "lump" left in the middle is easy to do as you dont have to worry about doing the edges, just sweep across and back, always keeping the leading end of the blade in front, and work down the glass to the bottom.

Squeegee rubbers contain "volatiles" - solvents which will evaporate and leave the rubber brittle.  This will cause tiny cracks in the edge.  Rubbers should always be stored in air tight bags to prevent this.  If your supplier has them in boxes out in the open on display, they can quickly deteriorate, especially in centrally heated showrooms etc.

I once returned a consignment to Ettore because all my men were complaining they left streaks.  Ettore sent me some new ones, and they were perfect.

Now I only buy from the bigger suppliers (Cleantech, WC Warehouse, The Fed etc) as hopefully their stock turnaround is shorter so rubbers arent lying around on shelves for months on end and drying out.

Chameleon

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 12:40:42 pm »
Go to...
http://www.ettore.com/home.html
click on the free window cleaning guide
"do it best" video
1 you will learn how to pronounce Ettore
2 you will laugh your socks off (as a matter of interest, does anyone clean using that method?) ;D ;D ;D

Somewhere on this site there is a very good video (Australian I think!) I learnt a lot of thing I didn't know... the science behind it.. it was very good!

someone might know how to find it!

My only advice would be change your channel itself, I've had mine for about 7 - 8 years
only just changed them... what a difference! :o :o :o

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 12:45:05 pm »
Forgot to mention - after washing and  before squeegeeing wipe round the edge of the glass and the frame with a "mopping-up" cloth - makes detailing unnecessary.

Chameleon

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 01:11:24 pm »
Ian I like your site and your fleet, man you look professional! 8)
I always look at the sites, but don't always say anything about them!
Sittingbourne eh!, glad your not too close to Deal! ;D ;D ;D

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 01:15:41 pm »
Ian I like your site and your fleet, man you look professional! 8)
I always look at the sites, but don't always say anything about them!
Sittingbourne eh!, glad your not too close to Deal! ;D ;D ;D

Thanks Chameleon ;)

The chap with the red van lives in Herne Bay and hes got work down that way, Greg is pushing me to let him have a Master Franchise area to the east of us (the other side of the road from Ashford through Canterbury to Margate) so watch your back ::) ;D ;D

Glen

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 01:19:43 pm »
Thanks for your replies - will try these out. While on the subject, can anyone recommend a detergent mix for glide, low suds and little running from the edges?

ccmids

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 01:27:10 pm »

a bad workman blames his tools

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 03:35:20 pm »
Thanks for your replies - will try these out. While on the subject, can anyone recommend a detergent mix for glide, low suds and little running from the edges?

I'm going to get all sorts of derision for this, but throughout my (almost) 40 years in the job I've tried just about everything, and by far the best is good old Fairy.

Does it matter if it leaves a film on the glass?  For the first few days it looks brilliant, then it starts to attract dirt, so by the time you come round again, the customer can see they need you ;D

It gives good slip, stays potent in the bucket for days (I only do a very few trad jobs, so my bucket of water lasts me a couple of weeks ::)) and gives enough foam so you can see exactly where you've been and if you've missed any bits.

Glen

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 04:10:49 pm »

I'm going to get all sorts of derision for this, but throughout my (almost) 40 years in the job I've tried just about everything, and by far the best is good old Fairy.

Does it matter if it leaves a film on the glass?  For the first few days it looks brilliant, then it starts to attract dirt, so by the time you come round again, the customer can see they need you ;D

It gives good slip, stays potent in the bucket for days (I only do a very few trad jobs, so my bucket of water lasts me a couple of weeks ::)) and gives enough foam so you can see exactly where you've been and if you've missed any bits.

Thanks for that - the prolem is the suds with Fairy.

a bad workman blames his tools

Problem solved. Thanks for that invaluable advice.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 04:55:25 pm »

Why is it a problem?

A thin layer of foam on the glass lets you see exactly where you're squeegeeing, and it squeegees off perfectly.

Just be careful not to put too much in the bucket.

Tosh

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 05:00:56 pm »

Why is it a problem?

A thin layer of foam on the glass lets you see exactly where you're squeegeeing, and it squeegees off perfectly.

Just be careful not to put too much in the bucket.

And add the 'green stuff' AFTER you fill your bucket with water; not before!

I hope I'm not teaching my granny to suck eggs here.