Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Next weeks weather
« on: February 08, 2009, 12:40:41 pm »
There have been some recent updated MetOffice Weather Warnings.

It looks like some areas of southern england may get up to 8 more inches of snow tomorrow, late in the day and moving into Tuesday, also there is another warning for the basically the same areas could possibly get the same amount the following day.

Thing about this is Im finding is that in a 'normal' winter you get wet days and can work on the dry days in between, thats not so easy with 4/5/6 inches of lying snow on the inbetween days.

??? ??? ???

mikethechamois

Re: Next weeks weather
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 01:42:54 pm »
i think this bad weather will finish a lot of wcs

colley614

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 01:45:57 pm »
I've noticed the boys out in their masses as soon as the sun comes out from behind a cloud lately. I seen 8 window cleaners in about 4 hours last Wednesday!

Pole 2 Pole

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 02:14:57 pm »
This is just a storm.............I guess we gotta ride it and see it thru. Otherwise,I'll have to back to me old job. Lucky i got a PHD in nuclear physics............otherwise i'd be stuffed.  ;D Just tasken a whole week off. I gotta kick arse next week come what may. If any punters gimme any grief, i'll tell them i've just had a week off so as not to offend anyone and if they can't see my point of view,i'll just give them a copy of the Yellow Pages  ;)

seandyer2003

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 02:21:15 pm »
Forecast for snow in Manchester tonight but i am out this week no matter what and got 2-3 days in last week, so not too bad, i think the best thing in this game is not to sit in the house thinking can i or cant i work in this, but to go for it and go home if you really cant, at least you will know then and may of even done some work before leaving, 99% of the time i stay off i realize later in the day i could of got something done if id of just chanced it and waited for a bit at work... I am the worlds worst at procrastinating and leaving it at the first sign of rain, but you don't get paid sitting at home, and when i go out in bad weather i realise that its never anywhere near as bad as it looks through the window at home - you make it seem worse to justify sitting in i reckon, anyway..... Thats my bit, im out in the thick of it from now on!!!

Pole 2 Pole

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 02:51:52 pm »
Forecast for snow in Manchester tonight but i am out this week no matter what and got 2-3 days in last week, so not too bad, i think the best thing in this game is not to sit in the house thinking can i or cant i work in this, but to go for it and go home if you really cant, at least you will know then and may of even done some work before leaving, 99% of the time i stay off i realize later in the day i could of got something done if id of just chanced it and waited for a bit at work... I am the worlds worst at procrastinating and leaving it at the first sign of rain, but you don't get paid sitting at home, and when i go out in bad weather i realise that its never anywhere near as bad as it looks through the window at home - you make it seem worse to justify sitting in i reckon, anyway..... Thats my bit, im out in the thick of it from now on!!!
Profound words Sean. I've been in that place too. A thousand times. Always looks worse from the kitchen window than it is when ya out in it. Just our way of justifying being lazy sods lol.

dave0123

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 04:06:42 pm »
I've noticed the boys out in their masses as soon as the sun comes out from behind a cloud lately. I seen 8 window cleaners in about 4 hours last Wednesday!

Well i work the same area as you and haven't really seen anyone diffrent maybe one or two! yeah you see alot of window cleaners when you drive about but ones you have allways seen for the last few years i think.
Dave.

colley614

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 04:27:13 pm »
What I'm saying is everyone seems to be flying out together as soon as the weather breaks. Most of the window cleaners who live near me haven't left the house in a couple of weeks. I've noticed 2 new firms by ours lately.

NWH

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 05:20:49 pm »
That`s what i do i try to make the effort everyday and then if  you can`t work at least you won`t feel guilty or lazy for not going in.

ftp

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 05:34:09 pm »
I worked one day only last week  :'( This has been the worst period since i started. Family were always amazed at my earnings and i kept telling them that next week i could have nothing if the weather turned against me and it's happened. Luckily i owe no money on van or equipment and have a reasonable mortgage. Some guys will be hit very hard if we get another week or more of snow.
I looked out of the window yesterday at the bright sunshine and snow and could probably have worked - looking at the forecast perhaps i should have.  ::)

NWH

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 05:36:17 pm »
I worked one day only last week  :'( This has been the worst period since i started. Family were always amazed at my earnings and i kept telling them that next week i could have nothing if the weather turned against me and it's happened. Luckily i owe no money on van or equipment and have a reasonable mortgage. Some guys will be hit very hard if we get another week or more of snow.
I looked out of the window yesterday at the bright sunshine and snow and could probably have worked - looking at the forecast perhaps i should have.  ::)
What do you call a reasonable mortgage.

matt

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 06:08:19 pm »
i have to have another 1 week off :(

so bring on the snow, at least my customers will not miss me with snow on the ground ;)

ftp

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 06:49:20 pm »
I don't think any customers will miss me. I was hoping to work tomorrow morning but with a forecast of heavy rain followed by gales and a snowstorm i don't think i'll be the most popular person knocking on their doors for money.

ftp

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 06:51:05 pm »

Less than two days earnings

seandyer2003

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 06:55:39 pm »
800 ? :)

matt

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2009, 07:07:09 pm »

Less than two days earnings

1500  :o :o :o

birdymiller

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2009, 08:35:20 pm »
Weve got another couple of inches of snow in sheffield this evening and its not stopping. Didnt work at all last week and i a am starting to run low on rainyday money. Worst start to the year in my 10 years trading.

lovewindows

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2009, 08:38:08 pm »
Constantly checking weather forecasts , i do some shops which need to be done early doors should have been done thurs now sun and forecast -1 for 7am tommorow , i know there ok but it pushes my wages back another few days ,    
dont look who's to blame, look how to fix it. anon

seandyer2003

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2009, 08:48:05 pm »
Constantly checking weather forecasts , i do some shops which need to be done early doors should have been done thurs now sun and forecast -1 for 7am tommorow , i know there ok but it pushes my wages back another few days ,    

-1 is okay, just try get some hot water to clean with and squeegee it off QUICK :) !

jon adams

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2009, 09:10:41 pm »
Hi all,
         Snow has definitely hampered work 4 me, only worked 2 days last week 2 hours of that snow clearing. But thanks to global warming its much warmer than feb18th 1985, had just started window washing then with a brush head no applicators then, not where i lived. We had 2foot of snow plus drifts did not melt 4 2 weeks! Did try for a couple of hours pushing ladders into snow but had to admit defeat due to near frostbite. Anyway im off to spain this month as its too warm here, will be in the Sierra Nevada hopefully at 3500 metres where  with wind chill it will be bout -10 to -15, thats cold!
            John