This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mr. S

Fuse Holders Are Melting
« on: January 31, 2009, 09:33:41 pm »
in line before my two Varisreams are fuses, but for some reason just recently the fuse holders keep melting, the fuses are hot but dont break. Can anybody shed some light? My set up has been ok with no probs until this. Has the freezing weather we had the other week done something? No broken wires i can see etc
Cheers Craig

Big Dave @ CWC

Re: Fuse Holders Are Melting
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 10:36:42 pm »
i dont know what you mean by melting, but during the last freeze we had (im down south in kent) they were blowing when icicles were forming and blocking the infow of the pump. you just have to change the fuse, and ensure the pump and water is warm. (bring the trolley indoors with the heating on) and dont operate till you have water NOT ICE.

Mr. S

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 11:01:49 pm »
Sorry the actual fuse gets hot, then the holder, and melts, but the fuse is rarely blowing. It is the correct fuse as was supplied by williamson pumps

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 11:09:23 pm »
I use 7.5 fuses did have 10 on them but they melted to often, this has happened to me a few times now, do you get any water near the wires ? I am guessing this is the problem I get/had, I replaced all the wires as they started to rust due to condensation in the van. (touch wood has stopped for the time being)

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 11:20:45 pm »
This is purely a guess but,
cold weather means the water becomes thicker, the colder the thicker.
This means the pumps etc are working harder to force this stuff through the system.
Although it might not be enough to send a strong surge through the 'electrical' system which would blow the fuse it would continuely be enough to strain the system generating heat.
Most fuses have 2 settings. One is a fast surge which instantly blows the fuse and the second is a continual high amount of ampage.

pjulk

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 11:43:07 pm »
I had my fuse holder melt and the fuse blow last year.

I have not got a clue why as its all enclosed in a seperate fuse box and can't get wet.

I put in a new fuse holder and fuse and has been alright ever since.

tomy jackson

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 10:39:55 am »
lose conetion

Paul Coleman

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 10:55:39 am »
I had a couple melt on me in the recent freeze.  Might have been me trying to use the pump to clear the hose before things had warmed up enough.  I now remove the feed pipe from the tank and run the system for a short while with the water returning to the tank.  I know you shouldn't run the pump while dry but it's only fairly brief and it clears water from the pipework into the tank (hopefully !!)

jeff1

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 02:30:59 pm »
in line before my two Varisreams are fuses, but for some reason just recently the fuse holders keep melting, the fuses are hot but dont break. Can anybody shed some light? My set up has been ok with no probs until this. Has the freezing weather we had the other week done something? No broken wires i can see etc
Cheers Craig
Check ever piece of your wiring from the power source and if you have a split relay check all the wiring. The fuse melting is due to an extra demand in current that is usually caused by a short circuit in your wiring somewhere.
It can lead to a fire if not checked

Paul Coleman

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 03:00:56 pm »
Cheers Craig
Check ever piece of your wiring from the power source and if you have a split relay check all the wiring. The fuse melting is due to an extra demand in current that is usually caused by a short circuit in your wiring somewhere.
It can lead to a fire if not checked

At least it would stop the water freezing.

Mr. S

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 05:34:01 pm »
Cheers all, not been on for a few days as had internet problem.

Think ill renew all my wires, but ive already checked them and cant find anything, one of my 100psi pumps has been struggling so put in my old 40 psi pump, fuse holder still melting. Something is up hope to get it sorted!

Craig

tomy jackson

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 08:25:21 pm »
you all shud have a fuse on top of bat so thers only 2 or 3 inchs to cach fire all to often the furst fuse is in back of van 

jeff1

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 08:29:50 pm »

Think ill renew all my wires, but ive already checked them and cant find anything, one of my 100psi pumps has been struggling so put in my old 40 psi pump, fuse holder still melting. Something is up hope to get it sorted!

Craig

Its defenetly shorting to earth if you changed your pump, even a small break/cut in a wire can cause it to short.

Mr. S

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 08:54:04 pm »

Craig

Its defenetly shorting to earth if you changed your pump, even a small break/cut in a wire can cause it to short.

Cheers Jeff1, like i said im definately going to renew my wires first!!

window wonder

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 03:38:29 pm »
Are you running direct of the van battery or interior light or something else??
slwcn member

jeff1

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 04:32:56 pm »
If this is what is happening like this one

This was the cause of it, these wires the guy found hidden away and were caused by being squashed, I kept telling the guy it was a short and it took him a while to find it.

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2009, 01:03:29 am »
second pic, rust, causes short melts fuses

Handyman Window Cleaning Services

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2009, 01:25:46 am »
looks nasty, dont take up being an electrician  ::)  there may be an increasse of building fires   :-\
Stephen C Brophy

Dave Turley

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2009, 10:53:47 pm »
I had a fuse holder melt once, no idea why?

jeff1

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 06:00:44 pm »
looks nasty, dont take up being an electrician  ::)  there may be an increasse of building fires   :-\
It Just so happened, I helped another w/c find his problem, it was a trapped cable and the vibrations of the van caused it to short. The rust is caused by the cable laying in the damp conditions.