This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

kenaltobelli

how about this
« on: January 30, 2009, 04:54:36 pm »
2/3 years ago i do this old boys windows no money havent been to bank
3 times this happens he offers me a clock on the wall i said no your ok
today he comes out says i owe you and pays
always say this country folk are the best ;D

Tosh

Re: how about this
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 06:54:28 pm »
Ken,

I'm guessing that you're saying that you've cleaned this elderly gentlemans windows three times without getting paid; but he offered you a clock on the wall as payment after the second clean.

However, after the third clean he paid you in cash.

And you like country bumpkin types!

But what was the clock on the wall like? 

I've often seen stuff on Antique's Roadshow where some builder (for example) was given an 'object' in lieu of payment for work, and it's later turned out to be some rare sought-after item that's worth £lots-of-money; much more that the fee due.

Maybe you should've taken the clock?

edd

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 07:29:10 pm »
DOH!!! :o :o :o :o :o ??? ??? ??? ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D

NWH

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 08:50:10 pm »
I wouldn`t have taken his money he obviously dosen`t have a lot and he was probobly worried about it,if he was good enough to offer me the clock that would have told me enough about him to let him have it for nothing.

ftp

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 08:54:29 pm »
NWH you wouldn't have been cleaning them in the first place - too cheap for you.  :o

Tosh

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 08:54:40 pm »
I wouldn`t have taken his money he obviously dosen`t have a lot and he was probobly worried about it,if he was good enough to offer me the clock that would have told me enough about him to let him have it for nothing.

No, if he arranged to have his windows cleaned he should pay.

We're planning to rennovate the bathroom, but it would be wrong of me to get a plumber in, get him to rip everything out; replace it; then not pay the bloke because we can't afford it.

There's no difference here.

NWH

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 08:56:56 pm »
Old people get forgotton in this country doing the odd good turn won`t break the bank IMO.

Tosh

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 09:06:57 pm »
Old people get forgotton in this country doing the odd good turn won`t break the bank IMO.

So old people can arrange to have their windows cleaned and then refuse to pay; and that's okay?

::)

And yes, I clean the windows - for free - of two of my elderly ex-soldier neighbors; but that's on MY terms.

Just because someone's elderly; doesn't mean they're not capable of ripping you off.

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 09:14:35 pm »
I agree and also disagree with that.

I would say some old people get forgotton! and doing a good turn is what a lot more people should do.

I cannot stand some old people that think we owe it to them to do anything, it is the ones that dont demand that get my help, if I saw an older person trying to cross the road, I would walk over and help them if they needed a hedge cutting I would do it etc.

No one helps my Nan and she well old bless her, I clean her windows when I go to visit

kenaltobelli

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 09:34:30 pm »
to clarify yea i cleaned them three times and was offered the clock but for me i couldent
take his posetion its like a lot of things on this site where people dont pay out of badness
but this was one instance of genuine hardship id not live with myself walking away even
if it was worth money to get paid 2/3 years later just floored me

Tosh

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 09:40:39 pm »
to clarify yea i cleaned them three times and was offered the clock but for me i couldent
take his posetion its like a lot of things on this site where people dont pay out of badness
but this was one instance of genuine hardship id not live with myself walking away even
if it was worth money to get paid 2/3 years later just floored me

Sorry, but I don't get it.  Window cleaning isn't an essential service like the NHS or getting your rubbish removed by the binmen.

It's a 'nice to have', not a 'need to have'.  If people - whatever their age - can't afford the service, then they shouldn't procure it in the first place.

::)

kenaltobelli

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 09:45:54 pm »
he paid for about 2 years or more like all the others then one day no money
not been to bank same next time and next stopt doing them then
bet you wish you were still in the army when you see ross kemp on monday tosh :o

Tosh

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 09:47:45 pm »
bet you wish you were still in the army when you see ross kemp on monday tosh :o

I doubt it!

Also whose Ross Kemp?  Is it the bald bloke from Eastenders?

alanwilson

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 09:49:29 pm »
I'm with Tosh on this one but just remember old people can confuse themselves - thinking that they can afford it easily but then realising that they can't.

thats where bailiffs become useful
I've never been to bed with an ugly bird but I've woken up with loads!

Tosh

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 09:50:19 pm »
 ;D

elite mike

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 09:58:07 pm »
i had this lovely old lady up kingsmark ask me in one night

when i was collecting, on a fri night

she said , what can i do for you ;D ;D

i said its me mike i have just come for the window cleaning money.

she did not know who i was :o been cleaning her windows for 20 years ;D ;D

i rang her daughter to tell her the situation

just hope i dont get like that

kenaltobelli

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2009, 10:01:00 pm »
i hate it when that happens seen it a few times also when you turn up and house empty
not nice

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 10:04:46 pm »
i had this lovely old lady up kingsmark ask me in one night

when i was collecting, on a fri night

she said , what can i do for you ;D ;D

i said its me mike i have just come for the window cleaning money.

she did not know who i was :o been cleaning her windows for 20 years ;D ;D

i rang her daughter to tell her the situation

just hope i dont get like that
I had an old lady like that in Cambridge, I wrote on a board who i was, and showed her the same slip everytime, everytime I went there I made her a cup of tea as she could not walk to well each time i was questioned by her,, I found out one day that some scumbag had said he was the window cleaner and was in her bedroom about an hour before I got there, called the police some people are scum, and I really did have a soft spot for this old lady, I may get like that 2 oneday as could anyone, helping the needee I will do help the demanding I will not.

to the topic starter, I bet you respect this guy now, and fair play to him for paying you, shows not everyone out they is trying to rip you off. Refreshing to hear some good news for a change  ;)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2009, 10:10:37 pm »
It's strange but every old girl on my round who is losing her marbles wants to pay twice. One used to pay me on arrival then half way through would ask if she had paid and at the end she would want to pay me again.

It was a nice little earner while it lasted - It was the only one I would go and collect from as I would get another tenner anytime I was passing. ;D

That was a joke by the way!!!!! (But the rest of the story is true!)
It's a game of three halves!