Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

If you knew that you had scratched glass with your WFP would you admit to it?

Yes
35%
14 (35%)
No
42.5%
17 (42.5%)
Not sure
22.5%
9 (22.5%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Dean Taberner

WFP Scratched glass
« on: January 21, 2009, 07:40:33 pm »
Hi guys,

I had a phone call yesterday from a customer whos windows I cleaned over 2 weeks ago saying that Ive scratched his glass with my pole.

Can this happen? Ive been WFP for a while now and ive never come across this.

I cant believe its taken him over 2 weeks to notice this.

The guy is getting on abit and was pretty nasty on the phone,

Im goin to see him over the next couple of days.

God knows what im goin to say to him.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Dean
Operations manager at J.V Price Ltd

http://www.thepricegroup.co.uk

jaykie

Re: WFP Scratched glass
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 07:43:26 pm »
I had the same last week, i lokked and its no way from me but i said id look into something to get rid of it.

Dean Taberner

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 07:46:02 pm »
I had the same last week, i lokked and its no way from me but i said id look into something to get rid of it.

A brick would get rid of it :o

DASERVICES

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 07:47:22 pm »
As long as your nozzles are flush in the brush then there is very little chance , in fact no chance of scratching glass. However if your nozzles are not flush then there is a risk as I have known guys who have done it.

ftp

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 07:51:55 pm »
Do you use the brush stock to scrub off bird poo?

Dean Taberner

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 07:56:19 pm »
I dont,

Would this scratch it?

Dean

ps outthere

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 07:57:20 pm »
After a first clean, I had a customer ask me if I could have scratched one of his new windows with my brush. I said, 'I would have a look at it, but it is doubtful that it was my brush'. When I looked at the glass, I explained to him the marks were not made by my brush. He was ok with this and 5 months later I am still cleaning his windows.

Pureandclean

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 08:04:02 pm »
It is quite difficult to scratch glass with metal, as the glass is harder than the metal.
 It is sand or grit that scratches glass, and most of the time the scratches were done when windows are painted.
 Most unlikely that brush bristles will hold sand or grit long enough to scratch the glass.

There is a type of glass that does scratch easier and there were some threads on here quite some time ago, with a website that explained the whole process. Important to know if you intend to do alot of builders cleans. Something to do with the manufacturing process, not the cleaning process.

Dean Taberner

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 08:06:49 pm »
Pureandclean,

Are you from the stoke on trent area mate?

Ive just been reading about your weblink in fenton.

Dean

Pureandclean

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 08:14:24 pm »
I live in Fenton, now, but all of my work is over in cheshire where I come from.
Thinking of starting over here later on, but too busy over there at moment.

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 08:16:17 pm »
Hi guys,

I had a phone call yesterday from a customer whos windows I cleaned over 2 weeks ago saying that Ive scratched his glass with my pole.

Can this happen? Ive been WFP for a while now and ive never come across this.

I cant believe its taken him over 2 weeks to notice this.

The guy is getting on abit and was pretty nasty on the phone,

Im goin to see him over the next couple of days.

God knows what im goin to say to him.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Dean
east way to fix this is go round and see the guy, show him you brush, then clean a window infront of him , then blade it off and show him the result, have you been cleaning this job long ?

A m8 of mine is trade and uses the metal on the blade to remove bird mess, I know this scrathes as I did it years ago, my explantion to my custome that asked me about this was this: where w leave the window in a natrual state there is nothing left only the glass what you see from, if you had I window cleaner before or builkding works done, IMO this is what has caused this but it goes to prove to you how well our system works if you can now see things before you couldnt lol. the customer laughed at this and said I can see you know what your talking about  ;)

Pureandclean

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 08:22:35 pm »
Dean, I've just done a search and found this link that explains a major reason for new glass scratching.
www.scratched-glass.net

I remeber a few years ago I downloaded this explanation and sent it in the post to a woman that claimed we had scratched one of her windows. Never heard anything more after that.

Dean Taberner

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 08:28:50 pm »
Hi window washers and pureclean,

Ive been cleaning this job for 3 months now.

Theres no way I couldve done it. I think I will do what youve suggested and take a printed sheet of purecleans link.

Thanks for your replies.

Dean

chrisyg

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 08:30:55 pm »
I use a soft flocked brush, and hardly put any pressure when cleaning, i tickle the window... The most pressure is a side to side under the top frame.

So unless there was a scratch there i would not entertain such complaints, however id be right round there to explain, it more likely a scratch that has now become visible from other reasons due to the window becoming so clean from the pure water, and all the impurities have been washed away - like those in the scratch.

LWC

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 08:03:11 am »
As said, show him the brush, ive had a couple of these and when i say run your hand over that and ask them "how could this scratch the window?" they usually go "oh ok"...usually.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 09:24:48 am »
Hi window washers and pureclean,

Ive been cleaning this job for 3 months now.

Theres no way I couldve done it. I think I will do what youve suggested and take a printed sheet of purecleans link.

Thanks for your replies.

Dean

Something like this is sometimes a symptom of a customer disliking WFP and trying hard to find a reason not to have it.  When it happens this way, they are often not being honest with themselves.  I've had (ex-)customers who have found some pretty fanciful ways of dismissing WFP.  I would rather they just say that they wish to cancel because they don't like windows being cleaned that way.  It's simple then.

cottonbud10

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 07:38:53 pm »
i,ve scrached glass before with my pole,,,,whatever you do never turn the brush on its side to scrape a bit of stubbon bird poo off,because believe me it will mark it,even with a light rubbing,,,kev

dai

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 07:52:43 pm »
I have scratched glass too, I know aluminium is a soft metal, but that will scratch glass every time.
I did it with an aluminium angle adapter, I thought I had tightened the wing nut up properly but I hadn't.
The joint swiveled as I was using it allowing the aluminium to hit the glass.

Dean Taberner

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 07:56:05 pm »
Did you guys who scratched the glass go through your insurance?

If so, has it changed your premiums? And what was your excess?

Thanks,

Dean

dai

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 08:01:16 pm »
Did you guys who scratched the glass go through your insurance?

If so, has it changed your premiums? And what was your excess?

Thanks,

Dean
It wasn't me gov, honest, impossible, how could you scratch glass with just a soft brush.
seriously you have to weigh up the cost of your insurance excess against the cost of replacing the glass.
If your not covered for the job your actually working on, you have no choice other than lie or pay up.