Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Brendan B

What do you do to encourage recommendations?
« on: January 20, 2009, 07:42:35 pm »

Do you offer any incentive for your customer to recommend you to her friends adn family? 

I see there are CC's that do 10% discount for them or £10 of next clean, i dont rally like eaither of them to be honest and was just wondering what do any of you offer

Cheers
Ben

Simon@arenaclean

Re: What do you do to encourage recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 08:30:19 pm »
10% of their next clean, and same for the recommended client. It has to be an incentive of some sort and a free room always seems a bit too much. I also offer the same to customers who book a follow up appointment for 6 months/year.

Cheers
Simon

derek west

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 08:37:04 pm »
simon
this is just my thoughts so don't have a cow, but to me it seems that your saying to your client, if you recommend a friend, i will clean there carpets for 10%less than i cleaned yours but don't worry, next time you have a clean i'll give you 10% off, or have i read it wrong.
seems a tad unfair to the original client.

derek

Simon@arenaclean

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 08:41:00 pm »
See your point but I see it as an encouragement to have me back to take advantage. Though on consideration i'd never seen your way, and i've never had anyone comment. I might review it now!

Les

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 08:43:42 pm »
I have to say that I offer no financial incentives, I just stick to a well tried & tested formula..

I turn up on time, I do a job that I hope exceeds the customers expectations, I take time out to put the world to rights with them, maybe even have a laugh, charge a fair price, leave a couple of spare cards and ask them to mention me to their friends and family if they're happy with the results.

Probably brings me 80% of my work. I've always known 'word of mouth' to be the best form of advertising.

Les

clinton

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 08:45:32 pm »
Most time they are just glad to get someone who does a great job and can trust in there house :)

Ricky M

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 08:52:21 pm »
Derek , thats the way it came across to me 2

Clinton , couldn agree more

Ricky
www.ability1975.co.uk
                          www.carpetcleaninguttoxeter.co.uk  
              NCCA !? but why have non of my clients herd of them ??

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 09:21:25 pm »
Goron had a really good idea

£5 in cash if you recommend a friend and £5 off for the customer they recommend when they have cleaning done.

I have a discount idea from Jim but never got round to it and to be honest it seems long winded.

Shaun

clinton

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 09:37:06 pm »
Shaun

What do you give  as an incentive ???

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 09:39:09 pm »
I have thought about giving a £5 voucher (m&s, etc.. but not zavvi) if their friends/family book in a job

Daryl

ian dermondy

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 10:17:02 pm »
  we do a recomond service
they recomend or introduce 3 others when pepole call they menion the person reco them and they get 10% off the next clean with us
there is a condition the pepole they reco must use the service and spend over £50 with us
it works for us

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 10:26:17 pm »
Quality work.

Jim Gibbard

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 10:42:43 pm »
Ian,
I have used a similar system.  But I prefer to give them £notes.  £10 up to £50 and £20 over £100.

I'll take £80 rather than nothing anyday.  If you get 4 a week that's £320. 

Don't forget you are dealing with human nature here!! Expecting people to do something for nothing rarely works, they have to be motivated into action with a sharp stick.  :o  Recommends are in my mind the best source of business. 
They don't cost you anything, they are pre-qualified and they already have an idea of your pricing.  If you can't close a recco, you are in the wrong job. 

Jim G
www.spic-n-span.co.uk
Cleaning is our Game - Excellence is our Aim !!!

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 10:43:31 pm »
Mike you are talking Balls everyone says that but customers expect it as standard!

Shaun

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 10:57:25 pm »
Would you get them without doing quality work?

Of course you are right Shaun, the previous post. For the sake of a tenner you could have a customer for life who won't flinch at a price that easily covers the referral.

Research into motivation suggests we are all different in how we respond to being rewarded for doing something especially £££. You can put rats in boxes and see how they respond, but humans are a little more complicated than that.

On the whole though financial rewards are a safe bet.

Here's another cunning idea I have cooked up though that uses a more powerful urge.

Never accept a thank you, actually say you can't accept it.  Then ask them for something else instead that's of value. ;)

Jim Gibbard

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 11:07:11 pm »
Mike,
A referral costs nothing, it's something you would not have had it's +£40 not -£10.

Jim G
www.spic-n-span.co.uk

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 11:09:13 pm »
The problem with offering money is that you look like a salesman or a desperate.

I used to offer M&S vouchers but I got people saying that they had recommended me but not filled in the card I gave them, how could you say no?

I think the best way forward is to build relationships by offering FREE SEX no I mean giving away spotting bottles.

Shaun

Jim Gibbard

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 11:18:32 pm »
Shaun,

"The problem with offering money is that you look like a salesman or are desperate".

Is this not a pre- requisite in the carpet cleaning industry?

Jim G

www.spic-n-span.co.uk

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 11:22:08 pm »
Depends on how you view it and what response you get, I don't think this is a straight forward yes or no, if it gets regular work and you are happy then it is a good scheme, please don't think that I am knocking it but I have used such a scheme and didn't like it.

Shaun

clinton

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 11:26:03 pm »
Shaun

Do you give a voucher nowadays ???

I never went down that road but i know someone that even sent a small bunch of flowers to the housewife after a decent paying job ::)