Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Martin Davies

Starting up wfp Window Cleaning
« on: January 20, 2009, 04:26:40 pm »
Hi Everyone,

First off, I'd like to say what a great site this is! I've spent a few days reading some of the threads on here and I've learnt more than I have in the last month or so I've spent doing research elsewhere!

Anyway, I've decided that I want to become a window cleaner using water fed poles.  I've got a bit of money put aside, so I want to jump in with both feet and get a van and system, rather than using a trolley or backpack, so this is the first thing I need your help with.

I want a system that my business can grow into, so I was thinking maybe a 600-700 litre tank in a ford transit or renault trafic type van.  Does anyone use any of these vans? Or can you recommend a better one to hold this size tank?

As for the system, I have considered DIY, but have decided it's not for me.  I'm not the most technically savvy person in the world and I'd feel a lot better knowing that there's always someone at the end of the phone if I need anything.

As for the system itself, I have had a good look around and I never would have guessed how many companies are supplying this sort of equipment! There are loads!! From what I can see they are all pretty much the same thing in the end, but the prices vary quite a lot.

There are 2 companies that stand out for me, Purefreedom and Ionic Systems.  Purefreedom because they are cheaper than anyone else, but seem to have the same quality as most of the others, except one... Ionic, to me they look a lot more professional than most of the other systems out there, but they are also quite a bit more expensive.  Is the extra cost worth the extra quality? I don't know, but either way I can't afford their systems.  I would have just forgotten about them and gone with purefreedom, but someone at Ionic told me about their sister company - pure2o.  Apparently they use the same crash-tested chassis as the ionic systems, but then use the less expensive components which are used by most other companies.

To me this seems like a pretty good compromise between cost and quality.  I've used the system builder thing on their website and this is what I've come up with:

- 1. Tank Capacity 600 Litre
- 2. Automatic Shut Off Yes
- 3. Water Sftener Yes
- 4. Reverse Osmosis Single
- 5. DI Twin 25L
- 6. No of Pumps 1
- 7. Filler Cap No
- 8. Independant Battery No
- 9. Speedliner Floor Medium Van

This comes in at £3875 + VAT.  It seems reasonable to me, but I thought I'd ask your opinions on here before I make my mind up.  I'd appreciate your advice on this package, as well as any suggestions/feedback about any companies you've used to get set up.

That is of course if you haven't fallen asleep reading my ridiculously long post!!   ;D

pingu

Re: Starting up wfp Window Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 04:40:11 pm »
Try Andrew McCann at Exel systems...I got my 1st equipment from this guy when he ran Freedom and he is without doubt a top, top guy...

Just search the threads here, his name comes up time and time again and not a bad word about him or the services he provides.

Heres his email addy: info@exelsystems.co.uk

Good luck

Cheers
Dave.

tomy jackson

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 04:40:46 pm »
thay are the same thurm ?????

Dean Aspects

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 04:41:30 pm »
First thing you need to get is a TDS meter to see whether you need an RO system or DI
Generally a reading below 100ppm then you will need a DI system if its above then a RO system
Do you have any work already?
Oh and welcome to the world of window cleaning

Martin Davies

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 04:54:39 pm »
Try Andrew McCann at Exel systems...I got my 1st equipment from this guy when he ran Freedom and he is without doubt a top, top guy...

Just search the threads here, his name comes up time and time again and not a bad word about him or the services he provides.

Heres his email addy: info@exelsystems.co.uk

Good luck

Cheers
Dave.

Thanks Dave, I'll send him an email shortly.

First thing you need to get is a TDS meter to see whether you need an RO system or DI
Generally a reading below 100ppm then you will need a DI system if its above then a RO system
Do you have any work already?
Oh and welcome to the world of window cleaning

That's exactly what it says on the pure2o site! I haven't actually checked the water myself, but a few suppliers have advised that it's definitely over 200ppm here so an RO is a must for me!

Jimmy1

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 05:46:29 pm »
Like you I didn't want to go the DIY route. I have a 700 litre Ionic Pro 6 - in a  Renault Traffic and Ive never looked  back.

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 06:00:59 pm »
Hi Martin
I've never heard anyone with an ionics system say they regret it. The critisism comes from people who haven't got one but think that they are overpriced.

About your shopping list, where do you live? a flat, house, or with parents? Because if you can make water at home and then transfer it most of us think this is better. It will impact on what you buy.

RO-Sheen

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 06:13:05 pm »
Hi Martin
I've never heard anyone with an ionics system say they regret it. The critisism comes from people who haven't got one but think that they are overpriced.

About your shopping list, where do you live? a flat, house, or with parents? Because if you can make water at home and then transfer it most of us think this is better. It will impact on what you buy.

Very true! I started 3 years ago. I took redundency from my job and went for Ionics pro 5. It is more expensive but I think is worth it. I have had 3 years of trouble free window cleaning and would buy another system. Like you, I am not technically minded so the Ionics system was perfect. Also it being crash tested was a big bonus.
Im sure there will be lots of negative comments from other posters but at the end of the day you need to make up your own mind, Above is just my opinion!

Going back 3 years, I would have bought my poles from Gardiners as I wasnt impressed with Ionics brushes, Also you can protect your van floor yourself for a 1/3 of the price Ionics charge.
Give me a shout (email info@ro-sheen.co.uk) if you want more info on how to keep your price down

Adie
Formerly known as GARGAAX

dd

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 06:17:45 pm »
Worth checking www.waterfed-pole-system.co.uk

My personal van of choice is Citreon Dispatch - go for higher payload version - 900kg older van, 1200kg new van.

My preference is also static water purification system if this is an option.

tomy jackson

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 06:28:17 pm »
hiace ther on offer 8 K brand new from benfield toyota in wakefield any culer

matt cloud

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 06:47:34 pm »
Hi martin ,
                  It is definately worth phoning James @ The Pure Window Water Company.  Look the company up on Google as I can't remember website! but his phone no. is: 0845 6002280, I got a really good deal from him, I have got the 2 man setup that is on his website- the 650 litre one with twin R O- Worth a look
Cheers Matt

Martin Davies

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 07:14:14 pm »
Thanks for all the replies guys, I guess I've got a few more suppliers to contact before I may my decision!

Discount, I live with parents at the moment, the money I have put aside was meant for uni, but I decided it would be better spent on starting a business.  Due to this, I need the filtration in the van, so that once I've built up my round and have enough money, I can move into my own place and not have to worry about taking a static system with me.

Wow, a new van for 8k! That's a bargain, however just a bit out of my price range, I was hoping to spend 5-6k on a decent used van, 4-5k on equipment and whatever I have left (probably not much!) on marketing.

Speaking of marketing, I forgot to mention it in my original post, what do you think is the best way to get customers? So far all I've got is friends and family, I plan to canvass the areas around their houses and build from there.  Other than canvassing, what do you recommend?

tomy jackson

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 07:18:36 pm »
its def a bargan as last march i payed 91/5 k and that wos a bargan at the time

Paul Coleman

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 07:21:35 pm »
Although Ionics can be pretty expensive, I see you are based in Wiltshire so, purely for location, that may be the route to take.  At least any bits and bobs you need should be easier to get.  It may be an idea to dispense with their colour change sealed resin containers though.  They can be quite an ongoing expense.  Much cheaper to refill your own resin container and if you put it in the right place, it needn't detract from the look of the system.  Personally, I'm just happy if a system works OK rather than what it looks like.  After all, the customers don't usually look into the van anyway.

As for which van, that depends on you really.  I prefer to have at least 500kg spare above the weight of the water.  I'm assuming single operator setup.  This is to allow for your weight, fuel, and other equipment.  I'm overweight too so a lighter person may get away with much less.  If you go for a Trafic type van there are two things I would suggest.  Get newer than a 55 plate.  I understand that different gearboxes were installed after that time.  The earlier ones had loads of gearbox problems.  Also, I suggest you go for the less common 2.9 tonne gross rather than the more frequent 2.7 tonners.  Depending what you want to carry, the LWB may be better too (2.8 metre load length rather than 2.4 metres).  My personal preference would be a Toyota Hiace LWB but I can't afford one so tough   :)

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 07:26:59 pm »
what is the payload on your van ? and is it a lwb ? I know what it looks like, just not the finer details

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 07:34:16 pm »
To clarify, will you be going to uni? if you are will it be local so you can live at home?
What subject would you/will you do?
I wish i was young i would do an MBA, but, you can read books and WC'ing is a fantastic area to learn the basics. Book keeping and accountancy are also good skills you will need so don't shut the door on your education. Try abd read Jims mowing.

highwash

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 07:39:59 pm »
Hi Martin,

I have a van plus part system for sale. It is on another forum site under equipment for sale.
As I'm not too computer savvy, a friend put it on the site last night and didn't have time to put it on this one !!
check it out.

Terry

Martin Davies

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 07:45:34 pm »
Discount, no I decided against going to uni, in favour or starting a w/c business.  I'm quite organised, but I'll look into reading some books on book keeping and accountancy though, I'm sure they'll come in handy.

Terry, can you post a link, or email me the details. martin.davies1@live.co.uk

matt

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 07:52:04 pm »
Hi Martin

we have heard owners of the said system say " in hindsight they wouldnt have gone for such a pricey system" though

ive also had a few e.mails saying they wish they had seen the DIY site before they had spent so much money

tomy jackson

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 07:56:27 pm »
1150  sb