This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

gary evans

Bad weather pay for employees
« on: January 20, 2009, 07:55:16 am »
Bad weather pay for employees, what do you do.

I have always payed well & given early finish,s etc. They have extra hols for free & dont pay for loss,s & damage when it happens.

The recent bad weather lasted for almost a solid week, what did you do with your employees.

I paid for 2 days but, hardly any work just tatting realy & going home early. On the day they came in (In 1 day only) & agreed to sat morn for the other.

I have since learnt through acas that for layed of days you should pay £20.50 per day for 5 days in a 3 month period, because of the length of the last & for once they have not gained more back, one of them as pointed this out. Which means they will be paid for the full week at 2 days normal & 3 at £20.50. I could of layed them of for £102.50 instead this will cost me a lot more if i do it this way.

Now we all had meet & agreed this path due to bad weather, so i thought it was settled, but, no.

I am also keeping them all on even though we was losing money & should of made one redundant, now i have bent over backwards to keep this going 7 to say this has p----d me off is an understatement. The person responsible could cause grief on this, but, my way they was better off & they chose not to come in with conditions.

I hear some on say on  here they pay for just worked hours nothing else, you may need to check & revise your polices.

Look for to your responses on this.

Gary 

Kevin R

Re: Bad weather pay for employees
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 08:19:11 am »
I pay my chap 40 hours per week no matter what. Lets face it he earns me good money all year.  Its quite rare not to be able to work for a whole week. I usually find we always manage at least four full days. Some weeks he does more than 40 hours but still gets paid for 40. Its swings and roundabouts.

Steve CM

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 08:43:00 am »
i have a basic and a bonus that i pay them. they would get the basic with out fail. but the bonus i also paid them. we only lost around a days worth of money from the bad weather in the end. but with a couple of longer days we caught it up last week.

If you look after your employees they will look after you.

As Kev said they earn you good money all year round so take the rough with the smooth. If i feel they are given me 100% they get looked after. if not then the basic pay is what i would give!

chrisyg

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 09:25:43 am »
Get them canvassing.. cleaning the van, inside and out, meticulous checks on equipment, help out with office issues.

Get them phoning regular customers and ask if they want a internal clean at a reduced price (todays special only) to get them out working.

Your paying them to work, so get them to work for you, to help the business through hard times.

bumper

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 02:04:54 pm »
If they dornt work they dornt get paid if ,they work they will get paid.

ronnie paton

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 04:47:44 pm »
we have a UNDERSTANDING has its very rare we lose more than a day here or there we agree to make it up, ie working sat or sun even both if neccasary.

i mean the work has to be done so we have to work through the bad times and they will get rewarded with good ones for example early finishing, bonus at christmas, flexible hours ectv.

Gary if things are that bad i would say use your head not your heart remeber this is your busines and lively hood so if you dont have enough work and have tried all ways to get more work trhen lay 1 or 2 off, i know its hard but you can only do so much and keeping the business afloat is your no1.

if an employee would not be willing to be flexible with times and days due to bad weather but expect it for them selfs then there not worth employing

gary evans

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 05:49:26 pm »
Ronnie

Holding on at moment for new work, possible buying domestic round.Took a day a week off to keep ticking over. Did 12 quotes before xmas & 2 this week.

We have work, but, not enough.

Gary

ronnie paton

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 05:53:17 pm »
thats what im saying, i mean i guess if you do residential work you could get them all making the time up canvassing in the evenings??

Dean Taberner

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 06:29:59 pm »
thats what im saying, i mean i guess if you do residential work you could get them all making the time up canvassing in the evenings??

Good idea ronnie
Operations manager at J.V Price Ltd

http://www.thepricegroup.co.uk

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 06:58:56 pm »
Is this on the cards?

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 07:12:47 pm »
These guys that are working for Gary.

gary evans

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 07:44:22 pm »
Matt

Do you mean paye direct employed then yes.

Gary

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 07:50:23 pm »
Yes I didmean that.

What agreement did you have with them when they started?

I last worked on the cards 10 years ago, for a landscaping company. There were times when the weather wasnt conducive for working. But the boss had a legal requirement to pay us for a full week regardless. The subbies went home, we stayed on. The subbies didnt get paid we did. Thats one of the reasons subbies get paid a better hourly rate. They lose out in dodgy weather. PAYE benefit in other ways.

IMO if you think you can dispense with them when the weathers disagreeable think how you feel about customers who say 'not today' when you turn up  >:(

If I was employed by someone whose working practises were this and I had a mortgage to pay Id find another job.

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 08:16:51 pm »
I pay full wage as 98% of the time they work,  if they cant they make up what is not done.

NWH

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 08:23:53 pm »
Some won`t agree here but this is what will keep you your employee,if you pay them a basic + bonus i would always pay the basic regardless of time worked due to weather etc even if you don`t work all week,it dosen`t happen hardly ever lets be fair that you don`t work all week it`s a once in a blue moon thing and paying them will only get you more respect from them.This is 1 of the main things i found with employing in the past i never used to pay anything for getting rained off etc and they over the course of the year got fed up with it,you as the boss can easily make the money up but they can`t a lost day to them is lost for good in most cases.I now realise they also have bills to pay so you have to be fair,to get to the point of employing you should be earning enough to be able to do this.

bluez

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 10:04:21 pm »
I have 2 types of employee, full time permanent and casual. As it sounds the casual guys get paid by the hour only when working, the full timers get paid regardless, bonuses are based on produtcivity. 
hi

Steve CM

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 10:17:51 pm »
Some won`t agree here but this is what will keep you your employee,if you pay them a basic + bonus i would always pay the basic regardless of time worked due to weather etc even if you don`t work all week,it dosen`t happen hardly ever lets be fair that you don`t work all week it`s a once in a blue moon thing and paying them will only get you more respect from them.This is 1 of the main things i found with employing in the past i never used to pay anything for getting rained off etc and they over the course of the year got fed up with it,you as the boss can easily make the money up but they can`t a lost day to them is lost for good in most cases.I now realise they also have bills to pay so you have to be fair,to get to the point of employing you should be earning enough to be able to do this.

I think thats the most sensible post of yours i've read! people need to feel appreciated. no-one wants to work for an arsehole. thats what i thought when i worked for one. it was the best lesson i think i could of learned. the key to your growth is your staff. look after them and they will look after you!

ronnie paton

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 10:22:13 pm »
so would people say i was wrong to expect them to be flexible? for example if we lose a day making the work up as in doing a weekend or working late through the weekend??

i feel its far as long has they know were they stand from the start but maybe im too harsh???