Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

mlscontractcleaner

Prochem ...... overpriced???
« on: January 14, 2009, 07:45:23 pm »
 ??? ???Hi lads and lasses.

when cleaning carpets I use a Woodbridge Powerplus hot water extraction machine and can't fault it. In the five or more years I've had it, an it wasn't new when I bought it, I've only ever had to had one of the two vacuums repaired and it really does clean a treat.

I now want to replace the two jet wand and want to buy a 7.5m hose assembly so went to my local cleaning supplie shop in Plymouth and was quoted the following prices: £295 + vat fo the wand and £175 + vat for the hose. Now, these are from Prochem, but she said they would fit my machine fine and I said I'd let her know.

On arriving home I checked out the Woodbridge website and found their phone number. I gave them a call and asked for their prices. Buggar me, almost half!!!!

The wand is £180.97 + vat and the hoses £76.90 + vat.

When the vat is added that comes to £540.50 to £296.55, which is quite a difference isn't it.

Now, is Prochem really that good, twicw as good infact, or are they vastly over priced?

And if they are does it follow that their machines are over prices too?

I have no idea, I'm just very, very glad that I decided to contact Woodbridge before agreeing to buy locally.

So, what's the verdict???

Come and talk dirty to us!!!

mlscontractcleaner

Re: Prochem ...... overpriced???
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 07:46:37 pm »
God, my spelling was pretty poor; sorry about that. Grammer school education too!!!

spindle

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 07:57:39 pm »
heard that prochem pure clean went up a bit! :o :o :o
life is one big learning experience!!!!!!!

elliott cleaning

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 08:20:32 pm »
The differential in price for the wands I can understand.  Purely down to the difference in quality.
As for the hose assembly, are you sure you are comparing like for like?

Joe H

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 08:33:31 pm »
I reckon the Prochem price is for solution and suction hose.
The Woodbridge price is for suction only - add a similar price for solution hose, making them somewhere the same.

M.Acorn

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 08:33:47 pm »
I have 1xset of prochem hoses which came with the machine,bought another set from Olympic last year,no difference in quality only price !
What goes around comes around

John Kelly

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 09:00:33 pm »
Thats because Olympic sell Prochem hoses.

mlscontractcleaner

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 09:21:54 pm »
The Hose price is for BOTH HOSES!

The wand quality is fine, as I said, I've had mine for more than five years with no complaints.

I know you pay for what you get but double the price???

Jim_77

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 12:53:56 am »
Thats because Olympic sell Prochem hoses.

That's the best chuckle I've had on here for a few days, thanks John :D

Ricky M

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 01:02:52 am »
Prochem stuff IMO is ok but the machines exc TM are not worth a light even tho I have 2 steampros

Over priced chems now as well .

Ricky
www.ability1975.co.uk
                          www.carpetcleaninguttoxeter.co.uk  
              NCCA !? but why have non of my clients herd of them ??

Simon@arenaclean

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 01:16:28 am »
I have a local Prochem supplier, Hugh Crane Ltd, and they deliver (free) what ever I need. Just last week I had a vac motor appear to die on me, even though they were pressed for time they took the machine and repaired it and then delivered it to me! I use quite a few of their chems which have gone up quite a bit, I remember Multi Pro at £6 :o So I will be testing alternatives. Quite lucky because Hugh Crane also supply CFR gear as well as general cleaning equipment and the free delivery always helps.

As far as wands, hoses and tools I mostly use Woodbridge.

Simon

mlscontractcleaner

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 12:08:16 pm »
Well that's good enough for me!

Not being a user of Prochem equipment, not even the cleaning chemicals; I use Craftex mostly, I just needed to know whether Prochem gear was really so brilliant that they warranted such a hugely inflated price.

It would appear that that's not the case.

Many thanks for your input folk  ;D

stuart_clark

Reprochem ...... overpriced???
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 02:32:01 pm »
I have dealt with woodbridge for quite a few years now and always found them to give good service and excellent prices, I purchased a 50! length of vacuum and solution assemblies last year with a 2" bore and all the cuffs and brass fittings for under £200 and that was with vat and delivery ! I also think Prochem have out priced themselves out of the market, they have always been expensive, and I think they will have to be careful in this day and age with the recession looming, folk will only pay so much

Barry Livingstone

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 03:15:04 pm »
try being up in fife, we only have the choice of prochem or chemspec with, the nearest supplier from that is over 100 miles away ??? ??? :-\ :-\ :-\
Carpet, Upholstery cleaning & hard floor cleaning.
                     Fife, perth and tayside.

richie

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 05:08:12 pm »
The vast majority ofProchem chemicals are worth the price we have to pay due to the fact that they are of the highest quality.  Prochem Pure Clean is a excellent product well worth the price.  The same goes for Powerburst, Citrus Gel,  Red RX,  Ultrapac,  Traffic Clean.....the list goes on & on.  The good thing about the majority of Prochem chems is that you can be assured they will do the job right first time.

Richie.

mlscontractcleaner

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 06:09:20 pm »
That still doesn't warrant rip off prices for their accessories does it. I'm paying half the price Prochem wanted, which is quite a saving, and it's not as if I'm buying inferior quality goods, just cheaper  ;) ;) ;)

stuart_clark

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 07:26:22 pm »
It is true that Prochem do make quality chemicals and you cant realy skimp on them, i dont think that they are anymore expensive than Chemspecs range but i do prefer Chemspecs of the two,
Although parts and machines from Chemspec and Prochem can be obtained a lot cheaper elswere

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 07:44:00 pm »
That still doesn't warrant rip off prices for their accessories does it. I'm paying half the price Prochem wanted, which is quite a saving, and it's not as if I'm buying inferior quality goods, just cheaper  ;) ;) ;)

Just playing Devil's Advocate here but...

If your price per square metre is say double that of one of your local competitor's then are you ripping off your clients?

If you're not ripping them off then the reasons you can think of as to why this is so will probably apply to why Prochem think they can charge more for the kit and chemicals that they sell. ???
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

derek west

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 07:47:19 pm »
theres a lot more to prochem than just selling products.
i know they do a lot of research and testing. that doesn't come cheap. i'm happy to pay prochem prices and other top companies prices, cos i know i can trust them.
derek

clinton

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 08:20:24 pm »
Have also used prochem for many years and find thy might be a little more expensive than other cleaners but they do invest in there research before puting the prouct on the market :)