Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mike Halliday

removalable covers-carcuss
« on: December 29, 2008, 10:31:07 am »
did a job this morning which was booked on Christmas Eve, I told him i wouldn't be able to pop and give him a quote before today, so he said just come and do it.

as soon as  I saw it I knew it was trouble if I had seen it before I would have come prepared with a shampoo/oxibrite mix or maybe a Haitian cotton shampoo.

it was a cotton carcass which normally is covered with removable covers, but the had used it without the covers.

I knew HWE would cause water marks without a great deal of care, So I explained to the customer I would prefer not to clean it today but come back next week. They wanted to put the covers back on and were more bothered with it being 'hygienically clean' rather than 'visibly clean'

so I cleaned it.

it dried terrible! it browned out in the areas that got over wet and had bad water marks.

I use M/S and an acid rinse with craftex citrafresh.

if I had come in and started without knowing it was trouble then I would have been in big trouble but because i discussed it with the customer everything was OK
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

clinton

Re: removalable covers-carcuss
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 12:27:59 pm »
Mike

A good post for the newbies here as you stated the damage that would occour when you cleaned it.

Have had some of those as well

clinton

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 12:29:04 pm »
Also like the stacking system with the air movers :)

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 12:52:13 pm »
What make are your snails? Mine don't do that stacking thing.....

Jim_77

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 02:45:03 pm »
I presume it was covered in the usual Calico?  I've taken on a few of these, it is a bit of a git but normally you can still do something with it.

I'm surprised you say it browned Mike, seems as you cleaned it with MS/acid rinse, a truckmount and turbo dried it ???

I'd have been tempted to put some crystal green through it just to see what happened ;D

Mike Halliday

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 03:11:22 pm »
Jim when I say it browned out, I don't mean cellulosic browning, like you say it was acid rinsed and turbo dried I had each panel dry in 10mins (ish) the brownish was similar to the colour you get on the outer rim of of a water mark and only happened where the tool overlapped so there was slight wetter lines

it was only the seated area that looked bad, because that was the stained area which I thoroughly cleaned, I just vacuumed and lightly misted the  the back and arms, so they showed no staining

Mike Halliday

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 03:12:35 pm »
ps; they are Truvox airmover

derek west

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 04:32:31 pm »
so would a light mist of M/S, slightly agitated then extracted with no water or rinse be ok with something like this?
derek

Jim_77

Re: removalable covers-carcuss New
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 05:35:03 pm »
You wouldn't really be doing anything with that approach tbh Derek, neither giving improved cleanliness nor much visual difference, save from maybe moving a bit of dirt around.

The same approach with an encapsulation product would maybe facilitate more physical removal of soiling, depending on how well it actually lifts the soiling and also how well the post-vac was performed.

In cases like Mike describes above, where "knowing it's clean" is required rather than improving the looks, I would use a colloid (e.g. M-Power or Nemesis) sprayed quite liberally and agitated with a Minitex, using the tampico brush.  Then I'd leave it to dry naturally to maximise the working time of the product.

I've also had some good successes using M-power with that technique (after a very extensive pre-vac) for dealing with mildew, dog and tobacco odours.