Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dai

Is it a sellers market?
« on: December 27, 2008, 06:40:51 pm »
With more people being made redundant and looking for new work opportunities, the price of buying a decent round could well raise dramatically.
A guy that used to help me about 8 years back went to Australia, and started up a window cleaning business, I had a call from him on Christmas day, he has now retired and sold his round.
The asking price was a years turnover, he actually got 75% of what he was asking for.
OK I know this is the other side of the world, but it makes this idea of asking for 3 months turnover look unrealistic.
When we think of the job security we have in spite of recession, it really makes you think about the real value of our business. I think that the price of a good round is about to rocket, and not before time.

matt

Re: Is it a sellers market?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 06:45:58 pm »
funny enough i had a e.mail from some1 who is moving back here after a while away

offered me 5 X the amount my round earns

now thats a nice little pay out, if it was about 5 years down the line i might have had to think about it

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 07:48:09 pm »
sell Matt, for definite.

Rebuild better.

I know you won't do this but that is what you should do in business terms.Even if you thought i was right you wouldn't do this, and nor would most. The reason being irrational fear.

NWH

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 07:53:44 pm »
You`ve been reading to many Richard Branson books discount or listening to quotes from Dragons den.

NWH

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 07:54:23 pm »
Tidy your van lol. ;D ;D

peter holley

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 08:05:35 pm »
Tidy your van lol. ;D ;D

iv just tidied mine :o :o :o :o :'( :'( :'(

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 08:15:14 pm »
Without question Matt would make a better job of his business the second time around. Yes he would need to read a couple of books, jims mowing being the most relevant.

Hard as it is to imagine, because we are all perfect, but most of us (apart from the stupid) would make a better job if we had to do it all again. This rule also applies to new businesses too, so if Matt did strike out in a different direction he could probably expect success there also.

The reason i am better at this nwh and have compounded ten years into two is not merely cleverness but the fact that this is not the first time for me.

NWH

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 08:17:38 pm »
If somethings good tell someone,if somethings exellent keep quiet.

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 08:37:58 pm »
I do understand nwh, and i do know what you mean.Ditto.

(Apart of course from me not being able to keep my gob shut, but as most regard what i say  as nonsence, it works fine.

cbcs

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 08:38:53 pm »
funny enough i had a e.mail from some1 who is moving back here after a while away

now thats a nice little pay out, if it was about 5 years down the line i might have had to think about it

5 x the amount my round earns ??? Every month?

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 08:42:16 pm »
ive valued my round at 1 years take , ive had offers on this aswell .
where theres muck theres money

matt

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2008, 08:42:41 pm »
Discount, the thing is, as we know, im of the " if its not broke, then dont try to fix it "

would my round be better the 2nd time around, i am not sure, as ive said, its very compact and that to me is a good round ( i know i bought the round in, but that doesnt matter to me )

funny enough my brother in his wife called up from london today ( christmas number 3 for us ;)) 1 of my gifts was a " home business book " , i will have a flick though it and it was be given back to him ( he likes stuff like that ;))

matt

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2008, 08:44:20 pm »

5 x the amount my round earns ??? Every month?

well its every 6 weeks

thus, say my round earns me 3 K a 6 week turnaround, he was offereing 15 K ( these are not actual figures ;))

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2008, 08:45:39 pm »

The reason i am better at this nwh and have compounded ten years into two is not merely cleverness

In 10 years time you'll realise you havent compounded 10 years into 2 ::)

cbcs

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2008, 08:51:40 pm »
If someone offered me the right price for my well established round (10 years plus) I'd be very tempted to sell up.

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2008, 09:27:50 pm »

The reason i am better at this nwh and have compounded ten years into two is not merely cleverness

In 10 years time you'll realise you havent compounded 10 years into 2 ::)
i think this was what nwh mean't when he quoted matt quoting whomever, who probably pinched it anyway.

Anyway, the subtext as i read it was that nwh doesn't bother to say some things. He thinks for instance that i have a scruffy van and doesn't agree with much that i say. However i believe we share a compulsion to earn money and are both quite good at it.

Matt (as in volksvagen) may be just as clever and a better rounded individual in many ways.This might also apply to you Matt(as in scuba diving), but i do detect a certain reluctance to believe certain things.

Which is precisely why they remain unsaid.

I hope that clears this up.

W

NWH

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2008, 10:57:03 pm »
If someone offered me £15-16k for my business i would walk away in stitches,i won`t say how long it takes to earn that but it ain`t that long.The time and effort that goes into building a WC business that can earn you really good money from day 1 as we all know is priceless but if i was offered a said amount it would have to be a lot more than that,all this 3-4 times the amount is pie in the sky and pub talk if you ask me and it would only be window cleaning where someone would come up with this 3-4 times rubbish.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2008, 06:06:29 am »
If someone offered me £15-16k for my business i would walk away in stitches,i won`t say how long it takes to earn that but it ain`t that long.The time and effort that goes into building a WC business that can earn you really good money from day 1 as we all know is priceless but if i was offered a said amount it would have to be a lot more than that,all this 3-4 times the amount is pie in the sky and pub talk if you ask me and it would only be window cleaning where someone would come up with this 3-4 times rubbish.

I wouldn't rate my round as being exceptionally good but even so, I would definitely not sell it even for a year's turnover.  Now selling, perhaps, the poorest third of it might be a different matter.  I don't have the greatest round pricewise but I reckon it's probably one of the least hassle rounds in terms of not needing to pre-arrange visits etc.  For me that is worth money because I'm not having to constantly re-schedule my visits around Mrs Smith's sick cat etc.

peter holley

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2008, 08:04:00 am »
i agree,.i wouldnt even sell mine for a years turnover, unless i had something solid to replace my income.....and had no mortgage.....my mortgage aone is 12k a year ::)

Ian_Giles

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2008, 10:28:12 am »
is it a sellers market?
Not sure on this one, with many people being made redundant it could well be, but no way on gods earth would I sell my round for a paltry 3 times it's monthly value!!!
When I employed regularly I paid out wages at 50% of turnover, which worked out just fine by and large, but just going by that, within 6 months, if I sold up for just 3 times the monthly value, the round would be bought and paid for and into profit within just 6 months!!!
For goodness sake, try and buy some other business and be in that position in such a short period of time!!

My round has been established for over 26 years....sell it for just 3 times its monthly value?....Dream on!

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES