This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Personal insurance
« on: December 25, 2008, 12:23:19 am »
Hi there,
just wondering who is out there for personal/ lossof earnings type insurance.

e.g. i fell while cleaning windows and now have no income for next (insert No. of months off work). give me money to keep me going.

Niall

DASERVICES

Re: Personal insurance
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 12:46:05 am »
Niall,

A company approached the SLWCN with a policy, will give you details in the new year.

RSWindows

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 12:51:57 am »
Doug get to bed!   ::)

DASERVICES

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 12:56:06 am »
lol. I'm married ;D ;D

DASERVICES

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 12:59:09 am »
Sorry no offense just thought but had enough of nagging  ;D So off to pub now on here  ;D

window wonder

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 11:30:07 pm »
American combined or insuerety.
Broke my arm few months back and combined have been great!
slwcn member

Londoner

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 07:37:42 am »
Most of these "loss of earnings" type policies pay out so little in relation to what you pay in that its not really worth it. Also, they have lots of exclusions and get out clauses. Falling off a ladder would almost certainly be not covered.

If you have the self dicipline to do it you can "self insure". Open a seperate high interest building society account and pay in £20 a week by standing order. Don't use the account for anything else.

After a year you will have £1000 in there, this is about the max you would realistically hope to get paid out from one of these insurance schemes in the event of a bad accident (tops).

Don't stop there, keep paying in and it will grow into a nice little nest egg in a few years. The good thing is its still your money. If you paid it into an insurance scheme it would be gone.

tomy jackson

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 10:42:25 am »
thats the way to do it vince

Ian_Giles

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 10:50:09 am »
Most of these "loss of earnings" type policies pay out so little in relation to what you pay in that its not really worth it. Also, they have lots of exclusions and get out clauses. Falling off a ladder would almost certainly be not covered.

If you have the self dicipline to do it you can "self insure". Open a seperate high interest building society account and pay in £20 a week by standing order. Don't use the account for anything else.

After a year you will have £1000 in there, this is about the max you would realistically hope to get paid out from one of these insurance schemes in the event of a bad accident (tops).

Don't stop there, keep paying in and it will grow into a nice little nest egg in a few years. The good thing is its still your money. If you paid it into an insurance scheme it would be gone.

A good reply from Vince...if you have the self discipline that is! Better to put the money in your own account than in some insurance company's coffers  ;)
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

BDCS

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 08:37:14 pm »
I got CICA - they pay per injury and don't think moto x is dangerous then I've also got another one that starts to pay after a month off. You can't insure the same thing twice. I've also got my kids on the CICA so if they break anything I get paid out

Glen

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 01:01:45 pm »
Good replies on self-insurance but when it comes to long-term illness/disability most people would need some form of income replacement when their 'emergency fund' runs out.

I've applied for Permanent Health Insurance (PHI) / Income Preotection insurance in the past but most insurers tend to not cover window cleaners. There are four occupational categories ranging from category one being office based administrative staff to category four being airline pilots, firefighters and window cleaners!

In my experience if you have any pre-existing medical conditions then combined with your occupation, insurers are not prepared to offer cover as the likelihood of making a claim is too high. I have found this to be the case even with a deferred period of 52 weeks (deferred is the time before a claim starts to be paid out), so the risk to the insurer would be low.

I'm open to suggestions and would like to hear of the experience of others.