Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

[GQC] Tim

Haven't had a difficult customer in a while, now this.
« on: December 23, 2008, 09:12:29 pm »
This customer started messing about a bit a some time ago. I always call them up the night before since they have a locked gate, no problems with that generally with customers. anyway, last time they said, can we leave it for now? Some months before that same thing. So I gave them the chance.

Tonight I called them up, and he said again, can we leave it this time? I said, well, last time it was cancelled as well, and.....'well you keep coming more frequently, I only want them done 4 times a year!' he interrupted me with. I said mr. so and so, I've been cleaning your windows for 1,5 year every 8 weeks, and that was the frequency we agreed on. Interrupted me again, and said well who should I believe, my wife or you? I can hear him talking to his wife in the mean time (she is the real troublemaker, but he is as well), I said, look mr. so and so, in order for me to run a reliable business, I do need to have reliable and regular customers as well, you might need to find a different window cleaner then interrupted me again, 'well then we will leave it for now' and he hang up.

The cheek of some people, I've always been on time there, always did a spot on job, and now this.

Was I rude you think when I said I need reliable customers as well? I wanted to clarify what I meant with that, but he kept interrupting me.  :-\

I feel like giving him a statement of account, and let him see exactly how reliable he has been, I can even point out the date when his wife asked me to come every 8 weeks instead of every 6.

Re: Haven't had a difficult customer in a while, now this.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 09:16:43 pm »
I dont think there is anything wrong with saying you need regular and reliable customers. When the conversation is going this along these lines I generally go down the route of saying 'Most of my customers want a regular and reliable window-cleaner,which I am, and in return that is what I expect from my customers'. It gives them a chance to reflect on the arrangement, Im keeping my side of the bargain, are they?

Feen

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 09:18:44 pm »
Come on Tim, you know the answer :) And in case you don't ditch and forget. You have done nothing wrong, but will get nothing from them but grief. Move on and have a good Christmas
Feen

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 09:19:51 pm »
As soon as they start messing about dump them, they wont get any better, make your life easier and canvass up some decent customers otherwise the bad ones just bog you down and depress you.  
Sussex by the sea

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 09:22:06 pm »
Come on Tim, you know the answer :) And in case you don't ditch and forget. You have done nothing wrong, but will get nothing from them but grief. Move on and have a good Christmas

Thanks mate, reason I asked is I always feel like I could have said it in a better way you know, oh well. Guess I couldn't say more with him interrupting like that.

As soon as they start messing about dump them, they wont get any better, make your life easier and canvass up some decent customers otherwise the bad ones just bog you down and depress you.  

Yea, it's funny how they can be friendly for some time, and all of the sudden they just start getting like that, like they don't like you anymore.

mark dew

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 09:22:18 pm »
I've always wanted to mention reliability to the type of customer who does it a few times. But i don't really have the front to be so stark about it.
I generally ask them if they would prefer to call me instead, because it is not worth the diesel to drive there and not do the work.
If it continues, i just drift away and wait for a phone call that may or may not come.
I don't like phoning customers to offer my service. It doesn't sound right to me and should be the other way around.

peter holley

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 09:24:53 pm »
not  worth worrying over ...put that vented frustration into finding more work ;)

windowswashed

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 09:33:08 pm »
If you've been cleaning on a regular agreed period and they start messing you around with every other time, inform them that as they are not sticking to the agreed duration you feel it necessary to increase the price accordingly. That way they either revert back to being a regular customer (on time) or they save money by having a new longer in between periodic clean at a higher rate. I always give any wasters this option, if they cancel, you are just losing a bad customer, if they stay, you're earning more for less work. ;D

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 09:37:04 pm »
I've always wanted to mention reliability to the type of customer who does it a few times. But i don't really have the front to be so stark about it.
I generally ask them if they would prefer to call me instead, because it is not worth the diesel to drive there and not do the work.
If it continues, i just drift away and wait for a phone call that may or may not come.
I don't like phoning customers to offer my service. It doesn't sound right to me and should be the other way around.

Sorry mark that sounds like you letting them walk all over you.
I provide a regular service for those that want it so unless they have a good reason for cancelling me they are off the books.

Sussex by the sea

mark dew

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 11:48:56 pm »

Sorry mark that sounds like you letting them walk all over you.
I provide a regular service for those that want it so unless they have a good reason for cancelling me they are off the books.

Yeah could be. I try and operate a 3 strikes policy, but sometimes it's 2.
I always try and give the benefit of the doubt for the 1st misdemeanor though. Others i cut more slack.

choice.clean

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 07:02:16 am »
losing customers always does your head in. i know from years of experience you just have to try to forget it and move on. in over 20 years of window cleaning i have found once they mess you once they will keep on doing it. it is in there nature, i find now i can usually suss them out when i am signing them up. the thing we all have to realise is that all customers have a life span i.e. they all eventually move die or for some other reason stop. canvassing is ongoing. you are just looking for the best customers that you can find, if you keep going eventually you will almost be glad to see someone go to take some of the pressure off, I say almost because it will always bug you. hope this helps.
my moto (one thing failure can't cope with is persistency) keep telling yourself this and you will not fail.

simon knight

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 07:10:38 am »

my moto (one thing failure can't cope with is persistency) keep telling yourself this and you will not fail.

I like it :D

I've never dumped a customer...the ones who've fallen by the wayside have effectively dumped themselves due to their unacceptable behaviour. ;)

Londoner

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 07:19:31 am »
Morning Simon, I agree they dump themselves.

The old saying "It takes all sorts to make a world" is very true. No matter how you explain it to them they will never understand your point of view.

My mate has a garage, well he's the manager actually, and he says "The world is full of nut cases, some are old, some are young, some are tall, some are short, some are fat and some are thin. One thing is for sure, they all turn up at my garage eventually."

Choice.clean has the right attitude, think of them as a farmer thinks of his chickens. Once they stop producing the goods - its the pie factory for them.

simon knight

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 07:34:12 am »
 think of them as a farmer thinks of his chickens. Once they stop producing the goods - its the pie factory for them.

The quotes are coming thick and fast this morning!

Morning Vince. I'm demob happy today. Just 2 jobs that'll take me up to 11ish and then off until 5th Jan.

Merry Christmas

Dave Turley

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 07:38:32 am »

top advice chris, some customers in the past have really peed me off. you are just best off dumping them and moving on.

they rarely improve once they start mesing you about.

protecting yourself by charging a lot more for dirty first cleans helps cos  they're the people who are more likely to care less about their windows and therefore mess you about in the long run.

ftp

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2008, 05:56:13 pm »
I have at least £100 worth of work that will be falling by the wayside next year. First job yeterday i did the fronts then unbolted the gate to be met with piles and piles of dog poo that was turning into a slurry of pee and poo mixed with festering dog bones. I put disposable gloves on and tried my best to keep my pole hose out of it - the microbore had to go through it. I'm working my way through it whilst gagging with the stench when the custy opens the side door and pops his head out, looks at the mess "oh not too bad!". Had to disinfect everything when i got out.
Start the house opposite, did the fronts, climbed my ladder to unbolt the gate and ....................... dog crap everywhere piles and piles of the stuff. Shut the gate back up put a slip through informing them that the backs weren't done as it was a health hazard. These two will be binned along with several other disgusting filthy customers.
What's wrong with these people?

bumper

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2008, 06:12:05 pm »
i had one customer i do every month .when i collected it last time he said you will be back before christmas.i said sure ;)turned up this week he said what again you only come  last week,no its 3 weeks since )he said you will be back before christmas its hard not to swear)i was just about to bite his knees, he said your not bad keep the change,lucky for him i didnt bite his knees :)

Paul Coleman

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2008, 06:21:51 pm »
i had one customer i do every month .when i collected it last time he said you will be back before christmas.i said sure ;)turned up this week he said what again you only come  last week,no its 3 weeks since )he said you will be back before christmas its hard not to swear)i was just about to bite his knees, he said your not bad keep the change,lucky for him i didnt bite his knees :)

I guess he's lucky you can't reach a bit higher     ;D

dave0123

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2008, 09:32:38 pm »
I think you done spot on there mate! i would send a statement of account too!

I had one the other week really anoyed me done first clean in november! good job happy with it as they kept watching me out the window all the way round  ::)

Got there December about 2 weeks ago was listning to something on radio so they had seen me out of there window seen them looking. 5 mins later got out and started pulling hose down around back, he comes out says mate can you leave it about two weeks?? i said what? thinking why two weeks u asked for monthly then reliased it was right before xmas.

so said sorry it will be middle of Jan now because i do the jobs all on the same day around this area  ;D he was like  :-\ oh ok.

I might not go back yet.
Dave.

simonwonder

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2008, 09:50:36 pm »
sounds like dump them and move on life's too short
however to be reliable and regular it is a two way relationship i agree if you are being and your workmanship is good there are better clients out there whom will apprecceiate  you and your regular service and more likley pay you more also