Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ryan Smyth

Re: halfords
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2008, 02:15:22 am »
Jim  ;D ;D

The Great One

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2008, 08:08:39 am »
Here you go! Should cheer a few of you up :-\

High Street tea and coffee seller Whittard of Chelsea on brink of collapse

By Ben Laurance
Last updated at 1:48 AM on 23rd December 2008

The crisis gripping the high street is poised to claim another household name.

Whittard of Chelsea, the tea and coffee retailer, was last night on the brink of falling into the hands of administrators after its funding lifeline was cut.

The company, with 130 UK outlets and a further 30 overseas, has been looking for a rescuer since the beginning of the month. Some 500 jobs are thought to be at risk.

News of the move comes just weeks after the collapse of Woolworths and furniture group MFI.

Although there have been potential suitors - Whittard has received bids from five bidders this month - none has met the asking price.

For the past three years, Whittard has been owned by the stricken Icelandic investment group Baugur.

The company, which paid £21.5million for the store, also has stakes in other high street retailers including Mosaic, Karen Millen, Oasis and Watches of Switzerland.

Icelandic bank Landsbanki, which backed Whittard, cut off funding to the struggling chain in recent days, say sources.

It is thought that parts of Whittard may be salvaged by a so-called 'pre-pack administration', where the firm goes into accountants' hands, but is immediately bought again so most of its business can carry on trading.

Those owed money by the group are unlikely to get it all back.

News of Whittard's expected administration came as figures showed the number of weekend shoppers was down compared with the last pre-Christmas weekend of 2007.

On Saturday, numbers were 11 per cent lower. On Sunday, they fell 8.5 per cent. This year, Christmas falls two days later in the week than it did in 2007, which distorts comparisons.

But Jonathan de Mello, director of retail for Experian, which provided the figures, said yesterday: 'It is too late to catch up now.

'For retailers, Christmas should have happened in the past couple of weeks, and it simply didn't - which explains why so many shops have been running sales.'

Whittard was founded in 1886 as a tea and coffee importer. Its first outlet was on Fleet Street in central London.

The company's importing business was based in Aldgate, in the east end of London. But the premises was hit by a bomb in December 1940 and moved to Chelsea.

Accountancy firm KPMG has been helping Whittard look for a way to escape its funding crisis.

But yesterday, sources signalled the group was on the point of appointing administrators from rival accountancy firm Ernst & Young.

No one from Ernst & Young would comment.

● Struggling sports retailer JJB has closed five stores run by its offshoot Qube.

JJB has been trying to find a buyer for Qube and a second business, Original Shoe Company.

The group has also been trying to sell its health clubs to ease its debt burden.

JB confirmed the five closures yesterday but said it had paid rents on its other Qube outlets across the country.

The Great One

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2008, 12:10:38 pm »
Hi Guys

More good news for you guys who want to see this kind of thing happen more often...

Music, games and DVD retailer Zavvi - formerly known as Virgin Mega store - has gone into administration, endangering more than 3,000 jobs.

Zavvi

Zavvi in London's Picadilly Circus

The move has been confirmed by auditor Ernst & Young.

Zavvi Group is the UK's largest independent entertainment retailer with 114 stores across the country.

More than 2,000 people are employed full time by the company, with another 1,000 part-time staff on its books across all shops, including the 11 in Ireland.

So far, the group's ventures in Ireland are unaffected.

Trouble began for Zavvi when its main supplier, EUK (owned by Woolworths) went into administration at the end of last month.

The company says it has been "unable to source stock" in the usual way since then and has been forced into new trading agreements, with difficulties in reaching "favourable credit terms".

Simon Douglas and Steve Peckham, the group’s founders, thanked staff for their support and said: "We have done all that is possible to keep the business trading, but the problems encountered with EUK, and particularly its recent failure, has been too much for the business to cope with."

Administrators hope to sell all or part of Zavvi as a going concern and all stores are expected to open for Boxing Day sales as planned.

derek west

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2008, 12:45:49 pm »
martin
all though i said i'd love rymans to fold, i don't really want them too, its sort of like if i had to choose one but know i dont have too, think your reading it wrong, don't think anyone in there right mind would want any business to fold. i worked in retail for 14 years and have seen the demise of high streets first hand, i blame town planners and there gay abandon approach to allowing big guns like asda and tescos dominate the way we shop, theres 9 supermarkets within 10miles of us, how can a highstreet compete. town planners!, shoot the lot of em.

derek

JandS

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2008, 01:46:47 pm »
Even worse here there's about 12 within 5 miles.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

clinton

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2008, 02:14:05 pm »
Same here in stockport would not like to count how many they are ::)

carlton care

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2008, 02:23:54 pm »
The ongoing effect of this will be quite a number of you will NOT be on here next year as this industry will experience very hard times.

Not so bad for established businesses with large client bases, but I would'nt like to have high monthly payments to meet.

Planning your marketing for the next year would be a wise move as soon as Christmas is past.

Srange thing is.................

I keep reading about the previous tough times in the past 30 years and I can't remember being affected, but..................could be senility setting in!!!!

Neil Mc Anulty

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2008, 07:03:32 pm »
In newry in northern ireland things are completely opposite to the rest of the place Its completely booming. Admittedly its for the retailers and not for my line of work but the shops like sainsburys etc are providing work for the construction boys who are now stacking shelves.

We have made the front page of the new york times and a japenese paper has sent a reporter over recently. And it looks set to continue with the amount of sterling to the euro on offer as wekll as the significant price difference on all goods.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7794973.stm

Merry christmas and a prosperous new year

Neil Grainger

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2008, 07:16:45 pm »
M and S no chance of going under, if they did the country is in real trouble and not just a downturn. Rymans are the corner stone of the their market and Theo is a very clever businessman so I think you'll be out of stock their too.

PaulKing

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2008, 07:24:45 pm »
la senza had a 50% of sale before christmas,  ;) merry christmas guys
www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

derek west

« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2008, 07:38:41 pm »
neil.
its not about how good they are, if town centres aren't around for much longer and supermarkets are allowed to expand even further then no one will survive. warrington has one of the biggest tesco's in the country and its enormous, you could park quite a few 747's in there, i'm sure when all the town centres are gone they won't let theo set up a small rymans in a corner of there store.
these supermarkets need to be stopped but unfortunatly, it will never happen, to powerful all ready, they even buy up land so no one else can challenge them. its shameful, and its the town planners to blame.
our town centre has a new to let board up every week. and woolies were a big store where we are.
derek

Len Gribble

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2008, 08:22:57 pm »
Martin

And they have the audacity of blaming the collapse of the Woolworth Group's distribution arm to which they owe a lot of money too! And now cant get favourable credit! Banks and their bean pusher have their part to play in this. Think Richard Branson group saw it coming.

Yes I feel sorry for anyone who loses his or her job.

Any way merry Christmas to you and all

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

JandS

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2008, 08:32:03 pm »
It's called evolution and times are a changing. It will find it's level evntually then we'll all get used to the new order and wonder how we managed in the old order.
It's the same as all this climate change, it's normal just the earth evoluting to cope with differing circumstances.
All this eco friendly crap is a load of rubbish and is a drop in the ocean compared to the natural occurrences that happen to cause global warming.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

richie

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2008, 08:36:49 pm »
So it has been confirmed that Zavvi (formerly Virgin Megastores) has gone tits up.  Who is next?  I cant believe that this credit crunch went unoticed oroverlooked for so long.  i saw this coming 3 1/2 years ago.I would be very surprised if Theo went to the wall.  He is very very good at looking at business & the way it is.  Cant understand why anyone would have a dig at him.  He has bought failed or failing companies and given them life again.  Is that a bad thing?

Theo Paphitis CV

Born: 1959 in Limassol

1976 Leaves school at 16; Works for Lloyds of London as ‘Tea Stirrer’s Assistant’

1982 Aged 23, set up his first business, Surrey & Kent Associates, a property finance broker.

1987 Appointed Chairman of Astra Industrial Group PLC by a bank owed millions by the quoted company.

1990 Bought Movie Media Sports, a media agency, from the receiver.

1995 Bought Ryman from receivership

1997 Bought Millwall Football Club from Administration

1999 Acquired La Senza and made 6 million profit last year.

2001 Bought Partners, a chain of 120 (now 88) stationery stores, as usual from the receiver

Richie.

PS
Anne Summers have got some great offers on at the moment.   mmmmmm

PaulKing

« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2008, 09:06:29 pm »
he's not daft is he
www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

The Great One

« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2008, 12:10:32 am »
Hi

I am actually reading Theo's book at the moment, it's a good read, he did lose it almost all once before, after astra, just got to the bit where he is buying Rymans.

It gets it from the actual receiver as it's cheaper that way.

Can recommend the book, also just finished 'How come that idiots rich & I'm not'. Another good book with practical tips.

One of the best books I have read is Rich Dad,Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki, make this book an absolute must read for the new year.

Regards

Martin 8)

clinton

« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2008, 09:31:47 am »
Might try the above book :)

I didnt know he bought millwall footie club :o

As martin said the best place to buy a set up from the recievers :)

Have a good day all :)

carlton care

« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2008, 10:39:57 am »
Derek
I was a small business owner when the first ASDA opened and the Trade Journals predicted, that if the huge out of town stores were allowed to expand, there would be no small businesses left in 30 years.

Not far wrong, with the decimation of small shops and the ASDAS, etc are getting greedier every year, how long  until they get into out of store services, such as cleaning.

The biggest carpet cleaner in the States is SEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2008, 09:24:47 pm »
Clinton you CAN read :D
STAY YOUNG HAVE FUN BE HAPPY xx
www.carpetcleanersbridlington.co.uk

richie

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2008, 11:38:19 am »
Yet another big name has now called in the Recievers.  Adams the Childrens wear outlet that also supply Boots applied to the Court on Christmas Eve. 
Reading the Financial News today it is expected that another 10 top retailers are likely to go to the wall in 2009. 

John Lewis have however have recorded record sales of £21.3 Million.  They have said that even though the have record sales & the fact that people have been queing to get into their stores they will not be looking at record profits due to the margins been slashed just to get people through the doors. 

Richie.