This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

ftp

Re: Health and safety?
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2008, 07:48:37 pm »
Thanks David, you seem very knowlegeable on the subject - i wish i had the concentration span to learn and absorb it all too, then i could explain better to my customers. The commercial customers i have seem very slack on all issues.

David Slater

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2008, 07:50:26 pm »
In the 2005 wahr, its says that ladder use, should be for short durations only, but ladder cleaners are using theirs for 8 hours every day ???, thats not very short duration in my book. ;)

WAHR does not mention a specific height...so you could be breaking WAHR by climbing in and out of your van (if the equipment wasnt designed with the user in mind - PUWER and Ergonomics).

"Short duration" doesnt release you from the need to perform a risk assessment.

"Short duration" - you are not working in one location for 8 hours.

Ladders are not "illegal" or "outlawed".

Proper risk assessment should determine their use.

David Slater

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2008, 08:00:48 pm »
Thanks David, you seem very knowlegeable on the subject - i wish i had the concentration span to learn and absorb it all too, then i could explain better to my customers. The commercial customers i have seem very slack on all issues.

ftp,

It does seem like a bit of a nightmare...but once you get to grips with it, its really quite simple  :)

Its nothing more than common sense wrapped up in legal jargon.

Strip away that legal jargon and it all starts to become very clear....and I guarantee ANYBODY can comply with H&S  :)

Its not hard. Its just something you're not used to....and this makes us all a bit nervous!!

I decided to tackle this problem 'head on' by enrolling on an Occupational Health, Safety and Environment Management course.

I'm going to try and break this down into bit-size chunks we can all understand.....but not on CIU  ;)

ftp

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2008, 08:08:58 pm »
David, i'm guessing your a fair bit younger than me because when you reach a certain age it all becomes gobbledegook and total ball****  i had the same trouble grasping the whole idea of NVQ qualifications in my last job as a printer. Basically trying to teach an apprentice some common sense whilst using a spanner! Files and files of utter crap.
I had to walk out of the room before i lost it with the NVQ assessor.

williamx

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2008, 08:15:55 pm »
In the 2005 wahr, its says that ladder use, should be for short durations only, but ladder cleaners are using theirs for 8 hours every day ???, thats not very short duration in my book. ;)

WAHR does not mention a specific height...so you could be breaking WAHR by climbing in and out of your van (if the equipment wasnt designed with the user in mind - PUWER and Ergonomics).

"Short duration" doesnt release you from the need to perform a risk assessment.

I did not imply that ladders are banned "god forbid"

But the 2005 wahr does say that ladders CAN be used for "short durations only" so what is a short duration?

If a cleaner is working all day on houses that are next door to each other then how is this different than him working all day on 1 building?

David Slater

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2008, 08:19:39 pm »
David, i'm guessing your a fair bit younger than me because when you reach a certain age it all becomes gobbledegook and total ball****  i had the same trouble grasping the whole idea of NVQ qualifications in my last job as a printer. Basically trying to teach an apprentice some common sense whilst using a spanner! Files and files of utter crap.
I had to walk out of the room before i lost it with the NVQ assessor.

I'm 40 years of age. I left school at 15 without a single qualification to my name.

Trust me ftp, if I can understand this H&S it is NOT hard......Its just different.

Some of it is utter rubbish (but they must presume you're a complete idiot who will risk his life and that of your staff!).

....and some of it is really interesting and very useful!....I learnt a LOT on this course. So much so, that I'm enrolling for the Diploma course in September which will give me a BA (Bachelor of Arts) in Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental Management.

The worlds turns. It changes. WE must keep up or be left by the wayside.

Look out for my posts on another forum (I dont think I'm allowed to say where!).....I'll try and break this H&S down into small chunks and its all for free!!  ;D

ftp

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2008, 08:21:10 pm »
I'll look forward to it thanks very much.  :)

David Slater

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2008, 08:31:29 pm »

WAHR does not mention a specific height...so you could be breaking WAHR by climbing in and out of your van (if the equipment wasn't designed with the user in mind - PUWER and Ergonomics).

"Short duration" doesn't release you from the need to perform a risk assessment.

I did not imply that ladders are banned "god forbid"

But the 2005 wahr does say that ladders CAN be used for "short durations only" so what is a short duration?

If a cleaner is working all day on houses that are next door to each other then how is this different than him working all day on 1 building?

A Risk Assessment will determine the use of the ladders.

"Short duration" - is another of those very vague things HSE (under WAHR) doesn't actually specify a time limit....

....its down to YOU to decide whether YOUR operations are dangerous (hazardous) and how best to control them.

In any event, it doesn't matter whether a person is working from ladders for 1 minute or 8 hours.....if there are hazards, then they should be adequately controlled before work commences.

Window cleaners don't spend 8 hours on a ladder at one location (normally) -

So you should consider:

Daily Visual Inspections
Ladder Inspections before use
Ladder Training for staff
Ladder identification
etc
etc...etc....

Thats a very broad spectrum...but it gives you an idea.

Check the HSE website for more info  :)

williamx

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2008, 08:42:58 pm »
David the hse and wahr are to vague to pin down on what is right or wrong, you can argue both points of view at the same time and they will agree that both are right ???

They need to be more specfic and clear on their guildlines.

David Slater

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2008, 08:51:18 pm »
David the hse and wahr are to vague to pin down on what is right or wrong, you can argue both points of view at the same time and they will agree that both are right ???

Pure HYdro,

They ARE very CLEAR

....you just need to spend a bit of of time reading the information.

If you're looking for a 'get out of jail free' card...you wont find it.

If you're looking how best to comply....the information is there and clearly laid out and they will HELP YOU comply.

The HSE take the standpoint of the worst offenders - and cover every angle from that viewpoint.....if you just need a bit of guidance on how to improve your operations, you can ring them and they will guide you free of charge!!!

If you're a beer money merchant.....they will find you eventually!!!

paulscotney

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2008, 09:30:52 pm »
I'm sure they wouldnt be too happy if their daughter got in to an unlicened and uninsured taxi.....but its cheaper than using a black cab?
But why is it cheaper - because he's cutting corners. ....................................................................................................................................   The reason for that is down to the councils getting the law changed for spurious reasons.  At one time all private hire and hackneys had "public hire" insurance which covered flag down pick ups etc.  The councils didn't like this so they had the  law changed so that only Hackney carriages (proper taxis) could take out public  hire ins. The private hire(minicabs) had to take out private hire ins which would only cover them for pre booked phone bookings. So now innocent punters are not covered. So what good have the councils done?

So now the Trading standards go round flagging down private hire vehicles and then do them for plying for hire for which they get fined about £40... but they also do them for driving without insurance and they get 8 points, £1000 fine,  maybe a ban for driving without  the insurance (which the councils stopped them from buying).

Imagine what happens when we have licences for w cleaning and the trading standards get involved. Remember all the fuss about traders selling pounds of apples etc and not kgs.

And the problem is....?

An unlicensed or uninsured taxi/private hire is cutting corners.

Are you suggesting that I should be allowed to drive my car into town on a Saturday night and pick up fare paying passengers just because I own a car and want to earn a few quid.....but my insurance company has SPECIFICALLY said I am not allowed to do this - and should get extra cover if I wish to do this job?

The problem with unlicensed taxis/private hire is that they commit crimes such as rape and nobody can track that vehicle. Taxis/private hire driver deal with vulnerable members of the public (drunk women) and personally, I'm happy to know that young women are being transported in a safe (and insured) vehicle and that person has undergone a background check to ensure they are not a rapist or sex offender.

Not a bad bit of enforcement/control in my book.

The problem is, is that there would not have been a problem if the councils had not banned the drivers from taking out the insurance.  Now innocent people are not protected. ..

Anyway, boring subject. But just goes to show what happens when councils get involved.

paulscotney

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2008, 09:37:23 pm »
God help us if we ever have to have licences.

williamx

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2008, 09:37:51 pm »

Pure HYdro,

They ARE very CLEAR

If you're looking how best to comply....the information is there and clearly laid out and they will HELP YOU comply.

The HSE take the standpoint of the worst offenders - and cover every angle from that viewpoint.....if you just need a bit of guidance on how to improve your operations, you can ring them and they will guide you free of charge!!!

David

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg401.pdf

On paragragh 17 it states (17 You must:
■ ensure that no work is done at height if it is safe and reasonably practicable to
do it other than at height) that you should use alternatives methods, if it is possilble to do so, rather that work at height, with wfp or just a pole you do not need to work with ladders, yet still they say that you can still use ladders to clean windows.

How can both be right?

I have not cleaned windows off a ladder for the last 30 years, and as for working for beer money, well after I have paid all my taxes and bills then yes I like to blow the lot on beer ;D

David Slater

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2008, 11:04:32 pm »

Pure HYdro,

They ARE very CLEAR

David

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg401.pdf

On paragragh 17 it states (17 You must:
■ ensure that no work is done at height if it is safe and reasonably practicable to
do it other than at height) that you should use alternatives methods, if it is possilble to do so, rather that work at height, with wfp or just a pole you do not need to work with ladders, yet still they say that you can still use ladders to clean windows.

How can both be right?

I have not cleaned windows off a ladder for the last 30 years, and as for working for beer money, well after I have paid all my taxes and bills then yes I like to blow the lot on beer ;D

PureHydro,

There's a couple of key points you need to research here -

"Reasonably Practicable" (this has a defined meaning in case law)

"use alternatives methods, if it is possible to do so" (is it reasonably practicable to reach that window using other methods?)

Can you control the hazards associated with using ladders to reach that window?

There is nothing wrong with using ladders...as long as you have identified the hazards and have put measures in place to control them.

WFP has its own hazards but it doesn't stop us from using it. I hope we are all controlling those hazards  ;)

EXAMPLE - is petrol hazardous?

YES!!...even more so than ladders.

Can it be replaced with a less hazardous alternative - NO

Petrol isnt "banned" because it is hazardous, but it has been identified that it is hazardous and therefore extra measures should be put in place to control it.

That's where your Risk Assessments come into play. Does that make any sense?

I didn't mean to imply you were a beer money merchant, but rather that those people would eventually come unstuck.

Regards
David.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2008, 12:14:52 am »
My day under the zealous application of H&S regs of 2009 Jan 1st.

7.00 am  Get out of bed ensuring that stretching to the alarm clock will not pull a muscle in my middle-aged body. Ensure glasses are clean to ensure that risks of poor sight do not end in a trip or a fall.

7.10 am  Get dressed ensuring that the right amount of clothing is worn to prevent hypothermia.

7.15 am Eat breakfast of Porridge and Bananas to ensure the optimum release of energy over the morning period. Choose Tea over Coffee to avoid dependence upon caffeine.

7.30 am Kiss Mrs Gold good-bye (as a happily married man will live longer statistically than an unhappily married one - and a frying pan to the head may result in further brain damage!)

7.31 am check ground for evidence of frost and boots for evidence of tread. Consider crampons if snow is turning to ice.

7.45 am Check van. Have I changed to diesel as it is less hazardous than petrol? Check.
Are the tyres to the optimum pressure to minimise the risk of blow-outs or skidding? Check.
Is there water in the washers, oil in the engine and a nut on the driver's seat?Check.

8.00 am Check equipment. Water Tank secure. Battery still firmly strapped down. Heater and lead removed and switched off.

8.15 am Fill tank. Is hose too heavy to lift; am I using the right lifting techniques? Walk round van for one final check, start engine, put on seat belt and drive to first customer in accord with the requirements of the highway code.

8.30 am. Put on hi-viz vest, put out trip hazard sign, run out hose to furthest point of property alerting householder as to my presence as neither of us wish to suffer a heart attack when she looks out of the bedroom window in a "topless" state.

8.45 am complete risk-assessment, remembering that hose may get caught on loose patio wall, rosebush, garden wall, garden furniture or Mercedes-Benz.

Could the water freeze? If so then consider putting rock salt down; if using rock salt remember lifting techniques.

Decking at the rear may be a hazard to slipping accidents and dogs poo may cause gangrene to the genitals if present - dogs mess being present, I mean not genitals, or both really, anyway I digress.

10.00 am Now where was I? Did she lean out the bedroom window or was that my imagination? Now what did the WAHD say about assessing risk of power cables, there's one overhead, no, I think that's a phoneline. I'll check. Ding dong, scuse me is that a phone line or a power line? You don't know well can you phone BT for me..... ok I'll do it.... press 1 for sales/2 for service/3 for a fault/  # for anything else. Press # (Mull of Kintyre sounds great after 14 minutes, but after 24 it is a bit irritating)

"Hello, I'm at 23 Treetops Lane at the residence of Mr. Bowells.... yes, M.T. Bowells .... can you tell me if the line to their property is a phone line? Why? I'm writing a risk assessment for a window cleaning job and .... no I'm not wasting your time ..... I assure you I am serious.... no, no, I'm not 'avin' a larf .... click brrrrrr.

11 am Extend pole, taking care to follow lifting techniques and to avoid unidentified power or phone line and clean first window. Walk to next window. Repeat. Finish job.

11.15 am wind in hose.... phone H&S to enquire as to correct winding method to avoid RSI. Use steady and thorough method without banging head on roof of van. Phone H&S and ask whether I should be wearing a safety helmet. Drive to nearest industrial workwear emporium and buy helmet ensuring highway code is followed at all times.

1 pm back at house and collect payment. As I am now carrying a ten pound note should I have a helmet like the security guards for securicor wear. Phone H&S to check. "No. no, deadly serious, no I assure you I am not 'avin a larf'" ... Ok. if you're sure I'll risk it."

1.15 have lunch  including portions of fruit and veg and a multivitamin supplement along with joint ease and anti-inflammatory tablets.

2pm on to next house..... "Hello is that Anglian Windows? Does your stick-on lead contain a) lead and b) any solvent that will react with water producing deadly fumes?" "No.., not Zylon B, and I don't find it funny for you to ask me that as my great-grandfather was Jewish and my great aunt was a gypsy and suffered at the hands of the Nazi's.... no I'm not 'avin a larf' click brrrrrrr.

4pm Getting dark and the dim light may represent a safety hazard so i head for home, following the highway code.

So £20 earned and I'm wondering whether my attention to H&S is beginning to hamper my work capacity. What do you think?
It's a game of three halves!

ftp

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2008, 07:49:19 am »
Very funny Malc ................ M T Bowells  ;D

;D ;D ;D