This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

STEVE-UK

do you knock or just start poling?
« on: December 19, 2008, 07:44:58 pm »
i knock 1st normally but that gives them the chance to say not this time,

do you knock or just get on with it?

chris@c.m.s

Re: do you knock or just start poling?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 07:49:37 pm »
Just get on with it, you answered your own question really  ;)
Sussex by the sea

STEVE-UK

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 07:53:37 pm »
Just get on with it, you answered your own question really  ;)
thought so, but i feel the polite way is to let them know 1st

if it was commercial i would just get on with it as thats what im used to

pingu

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 08:09:52 pm »
I run a scheduled round, so I turn up and just get on with it....

Dave.

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 08:12:08 pm »
Knock on the door if its a non appointment and a agreed "get on with it", up to them if they answer i just get on with it then.

Dean Taberner

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 08:29:27 pm »
Hit them hard.

Theres no future in knocking.

I have 3 of us and waiting around on the off chance that somebody will be in just to say im goin to clean your windows, isnt on.

One of us always knocks after though ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dean
Operations manager at J.V Price Ltd

http://www.thepricegroup.co.uk

mark dew

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 08:41:38 pm »
Just start work.
I did used to knock when i started out, but that just seemed to reinforce how grateful i was for the work. I eventually stopped knocking and got rid of jobs that had gotten used to it and didn't it to change.
The time i wait for someone to come to the door over the day could be another job or 2 done.
And another thing, when i did used to knock, most still took ages faffing about finding the money when i knocked again after finishing.

dmlservices

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 08:58:21 pm »
i never knock before starting to clean, i sometimews knock to get gate opened , or car moved, but i start work first.

daz

peter holley

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 09:04:49 pm »
just get on with it ;D

tacky

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 10:34:55 pm »
i only knock em .if they dont pay . lol.but on a serious side .i just carry on if custie comes out n says i didnt want them done this week . i ll say too late i ll give u a miss next time .

Glyn H

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 10:44:14 pm »
If you knock first then knock again when you have finished they know to the second how long you are taking, which is not good because they will be thinking this guy is earning a fortune - he only took X minutes to earn X £.

Also when you knock again they will think you are annoying, you are disturbing them from what they doing not once but twice - personaly I wouldnt like to be called to the door twice distracting me from my lesure,work or whatever.

NWH

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 10:53:51 pm »
If you knock first then knock again when you have finished they know to the second how long you are taking, which is not good because they will be thinking this guy is earning a fortune - he only took X minutes to earn X £.

Also when you knock again they will think you are annoying, you are disturbing them from what they doing not once but twice - personaly I wouldnt like to be called to the door twice distracting me from my lesure,work or whatever.
That made me lol glyn cos your quiet right there about the time factor,a mate of mine had that trouble when they went out 3 handed.2 of them used to work off the van while his dad did the comp slips,it got to the point where his dad would have a slurp of tea out of his flask and write a ticket and they`d finished,custies wern`t happy or so i heard.

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 11:29:35 pm »

??? ??? ??? ???
you charge a pound per minute, thats a bit o.t.t.
 :o

alanwilson

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 02:46:42 am »
a £ a minute is fine - we work at 2£ a minute for 2 of us.  Obviously time is lost between jobs
I've never been to bed with an ugly bird but I've woken up with loads!

russ_clark

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2008, 08:15:09 am »
Always knock first while setting up.
Just out of politeness to let the punter know we are there.
Very rarely get not today ,if we do and its not a genuine reason
then we explain regular/reliableservice/etc.
If it happens twice (without genuine reason) =binned.
Russ

WCE

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2008, 10:38:57 am »

??? ??? ??? ???
you charge a pound per minute, thats a bit o.t.t.
 :o

Not really if you want to earn £30 per hour then thats spot on - If you think about it for each min worked you lose a min (traveling, setting up etc) so therefore 30 x 1 = 30. Thats the way I work it anyway.   
As for knocking first - I dont I just get on with it. If I did knock that would give them a chance to join the "not today brigade" By just getting on with it you can eliminate this.
WCE- For Windows that shine everytime!

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2008, 11:29:54 am »
i text the night before, i start each message with "automated message", so they don't text back to cancel. they know i'm coming, so i just get on with it.

Glyn H

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2008, 11:43:58 am »
Always knock first while setting up.

Work out how much time you loose a day waiting for them to come to the door the first time you knock and then you knock a second time so you have again wasted that time. On  small terrace's you could have completed the next job by the time they answer.

I still think it is annoying to the resident to disturb them twice.

john tomkins

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2008, 12:13:45 pm »
If you need them to open a garage/side gate etc for access to the rear of the property then of course you have to knock, otherwise just carry on.

russ_clark

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2008, 01:02:45 pm »

I disagree with you Glyn
I pull up outside premises connect reel walk to front of premises knock on door
then start working .I do not wait for reply .IMO I do not lose anytime at all.
Each to their own mate but its polite to knock first IM humble O.
Russ