Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

wcs.

s New
« on: December 19, 2008, 06:46:23 pm »
s

AJ

Re: Turning Points
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 07:43:24 pm »
Losing 48k per annum in one go off a housing association because of a merger.
this was about 8 years after we started and we took it for granted. never have all my eggs in one basket again.
we had to get the business back, quickly. I think thats when we really knuckled down and realized that you can't sit back, you got to keep on plugging away.

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 08:34:59 pm »
Losing 48k per annum in one go off a housing association because of a merger.
this was about 8 years after we started and we took it for granted. never have all my eggs in one basket again.
we had to get the business back, quickly. I think thats when we really knuckled down and realized that you can't sit back, you got to keep on plugging away.

theres some very good advise there

East coast window cleaning Services

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 08:56:33 pm »
When i bought the guy i was in partnership in 2006 when he decided to move to the states recovered from that, But this year bought another firm out and took on 25k plus of new work.
P&R Window Cleaning

STEVE-UK

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 09:01:20 pm »
why did you come back from the states, was the grass not greener there?

East coast window cleaning Services

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 09:05:18 pm »
Na my Partner sodded off there meet a bird who lived there
P&R Window Cleaning

Dean Taberner

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 09:27:09 pm »
Falling from my ladder, breaking both of my legs and feet, then spending nearly 2 months in a wheelchair and topping it all off with nearly 12 months off work and struggling like hell to pay my mortgage and support my young family even with my insurance policy.

Thats when I realised that my ladders had to be dumped and WFP is the future.

Dean.   :-\
Operations manager at J.V Price Ltd

http://www.thepricegroup.co.uk

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 09:41:21 pm »
When I put the phone down on cleantech having given them my card details for £1,200 worth of kit but only having 30 customers.Then two months later spending 8k on a van and still only having thirty customers.

I look back now, how i laugh.

Dean Taberner

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 09:42:55 pm »
When I put the phone down on cleantech having given them my card details for £1,200 worth of kit but only having 30 customers.Then two months later spending 8k on a van and still only having thirty customers.

I look back now, how i laugh.

Excellent  ;)

Martin-Swinscoe

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 10:40:43 pm »
Working 12 hour day/night shifts  in a local factory, I employed a young lad who always turned up with a unreliable older bloke who used to mess me around.
I sat by my machine one day last july and thought "what the hell am i doing here? i've got a good buisness that can support my family the hours are great and i'm doing 12 hours in a factory". Did nothing more than go straight to the managers office and told him i was leaving. Started fulltime selfemployed kept the young lad on with me finished the older bloke.
In the middle of a recession but so what i'm getting new customers every week.. ;D

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 10:48:05 pm »
When I started to take pro-active decisions AND CARRY THEM OUT !! based on advancing the welfare of my business and take steps that produced real, noticeable and tangible results (such as designing and developing my website, buying and sign-writing van, going WFP, producing professional looking flyers and using them)

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 11:40:47 pm »
Falling from my ladder, breaking both of my legs and feet, then spending nearly 2 months in a wheelchair and topping it all off with nearly 12 months off work and struggling like hell to pay my mortgage and support my young family even with my insurance policy.

Thats when I realised that my ladders had to be dumped and WFP is the future.

Dean.   :-\

know where you are coming fron,
for me this is mid turning point. two scull fractures, a brain bleed, and a broken collar bone. :'(
the wfp will be well on it's way when I get back to work 8)
niall

Dean Taberner

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 12:33:22 am »
Thats nasty mate,

Are you ok now?

Dean

ftp

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 08:20:48 am »
That's a rather humble post Ewan, what's happened to all the marketing strategies and advice you've been ramming down our throats all these months? Turns out you are very small fry after all and will have to start again. What a disappointment you are. ;D

peter holley

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2008, 08:23:32 am »
now. now ladies  ::)handbags away :-*

ftp

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2008, 08:34:35 am »
It's exactly what i thought, to be honest Ewan.  ::)

Paul Coleman

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2008, 08:46:49 am »
What were or when was your turning point’s in your window cleaning business that change or advanced your business or outlook.

Becoming ill a few years ago and not being able to work for a few months.  It opened my eyes to just how dispensible I am and that I needed to change the way I worked in order to self protect.
Also, the advent of switching to WFP was a major one - especially once I got used to it.
There have been other lightbulb moments along the way too but those are the main ones.

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2008, 08:53:01 am »
You havent been trading 2 years yet Ewan.

I think ftp's point is that you DO come on here, number crunching, analysing, pontificating, twittering on about researching sales projected targets and all sorts of other boffin angled stuff (when I see it so far as Im concerned its like listening to the guy in a large organisation telling the shop-floor staff how to do their job when theyve never been anywhere near a shop-floor in their life. Have you ever been employed on the cards and worn a suit for a living?) and you have barely a year and  a halfs experience.

Anyway after 2 years someone in THIS game should be up and running, getting well established, recommendations (because by that time you are starting to prove yourself as reliable) continuing to expand, have reached what you wanted to initially achieve and be aiming for something higher. Being prepared to get out there and get on with IT and realised that by now that thinking about IT and analysing IT doesnt get the windows clean.

By the way Happy Christmas again Ewan.

Pj

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2008, 09:01:41 am »
What were or when was your turning point’s in your window cleaning business that change or advanced your business or outlook.

Becoming ill a few years ago and not being able to work for a few months.  It opened my eyes to just how dispensible I am and that I needed to change the way I worked in order to self protect.
Also, the advent of switching to WFP was a major one - especially once I got used to it.
There have been other lightbulb moments along the way too but those are the main ones.

Very much the same for me really!

Paul Coleman

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2008, 09:22:47 am »
You havent been trading 2 years yet Ewan.

I think ftp's point is that you DO come on here, number crunching, analysing, pontificating, twittering on about researching sales projected targets and all sorts of other boffin angled stuff (when I see it so far as Im concerned its like listening to the guy in a large organisation telling the shop-floor staff how to do their job when theyve never been anywhere near a shop-floor in their life. Have you ever been employed on the cards and worn a suit for a living?) and you have barely a year and  a halfs experience.

Anyway after 2 years someone in THIS game should be up and running, getting well established, recommendations (because by that time you are starting to prove yourself as reliable) continuing to expand, have reached what you wanted to initially achieve and be aiming for something higher. Being prepared to get out there and get on with IT and realised that by now that thinking about IT and analysing IT doesnt get the windows clean.

By the way Happy Christmas again Ewan.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

I have been a member of CIU few days of two years prior to this have been looking at window cleaning for a few months so more like close to, two and a half years my involvement with window cleaning.

I’m patient I don’t rush, I realise it’s more important to learn at the beginning than just to go after the money.

To give you some idea with what I am like many years ago I trained to be a Photographer, training at the studio is four years I did it in two.

I don’t sit still I can honestly say my first 150 customers are no longer with me, by the end of 2009 I would expect another load of customers to be gone, replace by better customers.

This idea of still having your very first customer from when you began is a mistake unless you nailed how to price from day one. I couldn’t do that, how many here can say they can?

No chance.  My early pricing was pitiful.  I just didn't know any better.