This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Klean07

Rain water Harvesting?
« on: December 07, 2008, 03:19:12 pm »
I am seriously  thinking of getting my water from rain water via my two down pipes. Thing is I'm on a water meter here plus I'm fed up with flooding my garden everytime I fill my tank.
Does anyone else use rain water?
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk

Re: Rain water Harvesting?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 04:34:48 pm »
Not yet, but I'm very seriously considering it. I've just moved house and the water pressure here is very low. My RO unit production has gone right down,

My house is the end of a terrace of three and there is only one down pipe - in my garden - so I get a huge amount of rainwater from the roofs of three houses.

I've tested rainwater and had readings between 002 and 006.  The 002 was caught directly from the sky. The 006 was from the roof. Of course, these readings come from a standard tds meter, so may be inaccurate.

As far as I can see, all that is needed is a diverter fitted in the downspout which directs water into the water storage butt or IBC. Maybe fitting a strainer would be a good idea.

I don't know about putting the water through a DI unit to bring the tds reading down to 000.

Dare I suggest that this is an excellent DIY project?

suds window service

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 06:19:02 pm »
i too am interested in doing this. does anyone on this forum do it and how.
 i think you would have to put it through a di but don't think you could produce enough to totally run a business on.
also i am thinking of using the waste water from production of pure can this be done?

elite mike

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 04:26:25 pm »
hi klean07
i use rain water and am now self suffiecent, ;D

i use 2 ibcs, just keep the ro as a back up

have a look at matts site, there is a thread on there by mattstanley

on rainwater harvesting, you will find it very intresting

regards

mike

Klean07