Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Peter Fogwill

Re: Electric hose reel
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2008, 12:18:17 am »
Peter I just kept forgetting to charge the battery, the reels I use are very easy to wind anyway so I just stopped. That said I was using a 14v drill from aldi and the battery wasn't the biggest but regulating the speed was no problem.

Thanks for that.

If it was saving you much time, or effort, then you would have made sure the battery was fully charged each day.

Peter

jefftemperley

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2008, 08:00:00 am »
my design does include a hose guide but it is manual, the engineering for a auot one makes the unit cost prohibitive, but maybe later if production goes to china.
the unit will run from the wfp battery so charging should present no problem when a split charge relay is in place

as for patenting its a mine field and i have had experience of this on average just for the uk it costs around £2k and that still doesnt protect you completely unless you register the design as well.

« Reply #33 on: Yesterday at 09:41:20pm »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How much would it cost to design and patent properly. 

i have spent over 2.5k so far i have tested various motors and components bottom line it costs a fortune to do things properley and by the time its ready for market i expect to have spent 5k

« Reply #35 on: Yesterday at 11:08:54pm »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think that using microbore and a nice easy to roll reel is half the battle. I did convert a reel and used an electric drill to wind it in but the battery lasted about a day and more often than not I'd forget to charge it that night. Maybe a 12v motor wired to the battery of the van would do the trick. I wonder if it would be possible to regulate the speed using something like the varistream. 

i have had an electronics company design a variable speed controller, it will take the motor from 0-150/160rpm depnding on the hose load

bad weather always looks worse through dirty windows

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2008, 09:30:45 pm »
Jeff, you could register with the Patent office for free, and you have 12 months before making the next move.  This gives you time to show what you have to  hose-reel manufacturers, or anyone else who might be interested. 

If after the 12 months no one is interested and you let it drop you have not lost anything.  If you want to take it further you pay just over £100 for a search (don't quote me on the prices) It only cost big money if you use an agent.

Peter

« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2008, 10:13:34 pm »
Having seen the massive resistance to this change the only way you will sell it is at a show where people can see it working. The number of ignorant comments made here is quite unbelievable.

Everyone who see's mine in action wants one.Most people on here would be extremely surprised if they saw it working.

As for customers 'embarrased at electric drill', several of my customers have taken an interest including doctors surgeons and f1 engineers. None of them laughed or sneered, I have to come on here to get that.

NWH

« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2008, 10:18:23 pm »
Plasterers now use a drill to knock up there plaster and no one laughs at them they think that that`s the tool to do it and are non the wiser,i am in favor of anything that makes my life easier.

paul mc

« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2008, 10:31:04 pm »
Having seen the massive resistance to this change the only way you will sell it is at a show where people can see it working. The number of ignorant comments made here is quite unbelievable.

Everyone who see's mine in action wants one.Most people on here would be extremely surprised if they saw it working.
As for customers 'embarrased at electric drill', several of my customers have taken an interest including doctors surgeons and f1 engineers. None of them laughed or sneered, I have to come on here to get that.
i agree totally dwc.  i only wished i had the money or know how to advance my idea cause i am confident its a winner.
here is a link to a video of my reel, 100metres of hose reeled in in a minute

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tCkQdH3f-UA

i tried to count the number of times the reel turned an its approx 120 times. so if anyone can turn thier reel approx 120 times in a minute they must have arms like arnie :-*

geefree

« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2008, 10:59:41 pm »
Thats about the same speed as i reel in by hand.... well i may be a touch slower lol ;D

must admit never really thought they would be of any use..

but having seen the video, its got me thinking

how come its covered up tho.?

NWH

« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2008, 11:30:07 pm »
It looks like a chisel grinder to me.

geefree

« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2008, 11:32:23 pm »
Can anyone explain how a drill makes a reel .... reel in ... please.

NWH

« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2008, 11:36:12 pm »
All you need is a cordless drill and a part from screwfix that goes from reel to drill job done.

geefree

« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2008, 11:39:50 pm »
yes, but what about ,on one end is the handle and on the other is the hose connector etc... just trying to imagine where the bit,. would go.

paul mc

« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2008, 11:41:20 pm »
how come its covered up tho.?

thats my design gazzasp8 dont really want to give away my secrets yet!!!
its def not a chisel grinder or cordless but discount will verify that the cordless mode does work ok

NWH

« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2008, 11:42:24 pm »
You need to remove the handle on the hosereel and spin the bolt back on,the drill bit that you`ll need from screwfix goes on this.Discount will post a pic of the bit,i got 2 when i went i think they cost about a fiver each.

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2008, 11:43:03 pm »
Good video, does it still pull it in if it is pulling some of it round a corner etc?

The white rag is good as well, you could have sold at least one to Nathanael so his customers didn't see what was driving the hose reel  :)

Peter

paul mc

« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2008, 11:56:04 pm »
Good video, does it still pull it in if it is pulling some of it round a corner etc?

The white rag is good as well, you could have sold at least one to Nathanael so his customers didn't see what was driving the hose reel  :)

Peter
[/quote

yeh it stiil pulls in from round a corner quite easily peter.

« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2008, 08:07:47 pm »
I'm not sure a fully auto one will ever be possible- because of tangles and so on, and if it was it might lack speed.

Like Paul mine is fed in through a towel that both cleans and takes the hit if a snagged bit comes in. A few have posted that they have tried this (the drill method) but found the snatch too violent and worried about breaking their wrists. Well i don't actually hold the drill because it is supported, I do grip it of course to pull the trigger.I do have a clutch but have also used it without one.

If you take the winding handle off a 22m deep socket driven by a screwfix socket driver will turn the reel. You need a two speed drill set on the lower speed, this is important because if the torque is wrong smoke will come out of the motor but it won't turn. If you do decide to experiment be carefull to start with as you could break your wrist.

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2008, 12:04:50 am »
OK, I have been playing around with an electric hose reel. 

I have met nearly all Nathaniel's criteria.  Powered on the water fed pole or van battery. Self layering mechanism- your hand as you let the hose run through a cloth to clean.  Better than remote controlled, just move a handle towards the reel with your right hand as you layer with your left. No holding drills at awkward angles, and no kickback from the drill at it starts to turn.

I have it mounted on it's own frame which attaches to the bolt down hose reels I fit to vans.  It has a lever mechanism attached to the speed control.  Works very well and I will probably fit them as standard in any new systems I do. 

Before anyone asks the mechanism won't do for any drill, and it wouldn't fit on any hose reel.

I would welcome any feedback

Peter

G & M

« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2008, 09:52:44 am »
What exactly is the part from screwfix and do you have to buy from screwfix direct?

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2008, 03:47:55 pm »
This electric reel is available and costs about £525 +VAT

NWH

« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2008, 03:58:23 pm »
This electric reel is available and costs about £525 +VAT

How much micrbore does it take.