Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dudek

Electric hose reel
« on: December 02, 2008, 04:06:28 pm »
Anyone have one?

Are they worth it?

Who supplies?

Slash

Re: Electric hose reel
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 05:52:47 pm »
You lazy git! ;D

Mr H

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 06:33:40 pm »
There was a post about this a while ago and the reel worked out at about £600 to buy off the shelf but a few had made up DIY versions with no real joy.

Regards
Mr H

Dean Taberner

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 06:34:37 pm »
£600 :o :o :o :o :o
Operations manager at J.V Price Ltd

http://www.thepricegroup.co.uk

NWH

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 07:52:05 pm »
For our hose and fittings parts have to be specially made in order for it to be worth while,all the reels used at present don`t use purified water.

niceandclean

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 09:18:17 pm »
There was a post about this a while ago and the reel worked out at about £600 to buy off the shelf but a few had made up DIY versions with no real joy.

Regards
Mr H

What happened to that guy, he put up a vid showing how it worked. Thought he said around £300.

stevieg

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 09:26:52 pm »
im sure that a cordless drill was involved somewhere along the line .obviously some form of contraption would have to be fashioned to hold the drill in place ,but it would have to be able to be moved out of the way when the hose is being pulled out.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 09:39:16 pm »
There is an off the shelf one available, but it cost about £850. There is also another one in development by someone (not ourselves) that will retail for about £500.

These prices sounds expensive, but to produce a reliable working reel it really does add up in parts costs.

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 10:18:46 pm »

Regards
Mr H

Several people including me use one. I do use a cordless drill and have posted pics etc, but any electric motor will do. It is a massive benefit and worth paying the prices quoted.

LWC

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 10:26:54 pm »
v8edd uses a cordeless drill, makes me chucke whilst im sweating reeling mine back in and hes driving off down the road

dudek

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 07:24:33 pm »
Has anyone got the details for any of the suppliers?

scud

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 07:35:48 pm »

Regards
Mr H

Several people including me use one. I do use a cordless drill and have posted pics etc, but any electric motor will do. It is a massive benefit
and worth paying the prices quoted.

How can they be worth £500+, some of you must be very unfit or have biceps like a little girl.

Put a bit of elbow grease into it you lazy sods.

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 07:55:45 pm »
People who don't use one are called hand crankers scud, and do a funny little jig at the end of every job.

I use every advantage I can get and as a result of this probably do two to three more domestic jobs daily than a comparable operator.

This equates to £30-£40 a day, every day, 200 days a year, or 6k-8k extra income.

NWH

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 07:58:20 pm »
Hot hose reels in much much easier than cold.

scud

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 08:00:41 pm »
  I don't believe you do 2 or 3 more jobs a day more just because you use an electric winding hose reel.

I have been wfp for over 4 years now and am pretty quick, an electric hose reel wouldn't make me 2-3 domestics a day quicker, not without it winding in that fast you are breaking things all the time.

It is about vehicle positioning and using your head, not expensive automated gimmicks.

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2008, 08:19:04 pm »
People who don't use one are called hand crankers scud, and do a funny little jig at the end of every job.

I use every advantage I can get and as a result of this probably do two to three more domestic jobs daily than a comparable operator.

This equates to £30-£40 a day, every day, 200 days a year, or 6k-8k extra income.

Id re-work your figures there Discount if I were you, cos if you make an assumption or two there (such as, how long it takes to do a 4 bedroom house, that reeling in takes about 10% of total time), then you earn £300.00 a day according to your figures.

Keeps your cholesterol levels down anyway.

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2008, 08:28:57 pm »
I agree Scud.
I take it that.....
You've got george
you don't collect
you've got a van mount hot system
Call divert
In fact Anything that makes the job easier and faster!

You need an electric reel, if you employ your empoyees need one. Five years from now the majority will have one and will laught at the idea of not using one. I've got one now.

Just seen Matts comment, lets not make it into one of those threads, i'm not trying to wind anyone up but it stands to reason that if i let a machine do all the work i will- well there isn't really any other way to say this- earn more money than you do.

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2008, 08:35:35 pm »
  I don't believe you do 2 or 3 more jobs a day

I agree Scud.

::)

Discount its no good having all those gizmos and trying to makeout you earn this/that or the other if your pricing is shot.
Anyway, my point wasnt about how much you earn (or myself, or if you earn more than me!).
I was disputing however the figures you put forward suggesting about how much MORE you can earn just from having an electric reel.

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2008, 08:50:30 pm »
Don't get too hung up on how much I earn, this was mentioned only as a benefit of using a machine to do manual work.If you don't want an electric reel don't have one.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2008, 08:54:55 pm »
I have looked at the advantages of an electric reel over manual. Whilst I believe that by next year they will be readily available for those who wish to spend the dosh, I really do not think that they will be faster for me than hand reeling.

Practically I would not want to reel the hose in any faster than I do now, due to safety and control issues. Yes it would save me a little arm work-out,but at least it saves me going to the gym as often!

Will I buy one, when they come out? Probably as it is the only way to really test a product out.
Will I like it? Probably as I'm sure they will be well made.
Will I keep it? I may well.
Will I be faster? I doubt it.