Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

ftp

Re: camera system for guttervac
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2008, 05:41:20 pm »
Mine came from two places. One place for the vac and the other for the generator. No problems whatsoever.

drive surgeon

« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2008, 05:50:40 pm »
what vac and poles you using again ftp, sl2 poles?

G & M

« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2008, 07:07:53 pm »
Steve Uk I have the same problem with the tabs. Now to be fair I haven't been on to Omni Vac about it. For those guys who do mainly domestic as I do there are a couple of points to remember.
1) It usually isn't worth while setting up the vac as you will have most standard gutters emptied by hand while you are setting up.
2) You will need to prearange access to electricity with the customers if you don't have a genny assuming that the customer isn't home when you do the job.
3) The biggest problem I have found is that in a lot of cases the tiles or slate are too close to the gutter to use it at all.

The Omni Vac is good and will remove most everything with a bit of effort, but personally I use one of those paint brushes for doing behind radiators as it give you and extra two feet either side of you from the ladder. I have also found the white round conduit used for electricial cable to be very useful as it is flexible but still strong. I fixed a piece of metal onto the end in an L shape and turn it up when pushing the conduit up the gutter and turn it flat when pulling back. Basic but works and saves moving the ladder. A gutter vac is a handy bit of kit to own and will be invaluable on some jobs but most domestic jobs can be done without it.
Nathanael I look foward to talking to you and hopefully  over Christmas we can sort out the tank. I will probably buy the van from the U.K. and will be going over for it early Jan. Will ring you soon.

ftp

« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2008, 07:26:58 pm »
If you are happy going up ladders and can access above consevatories then a guttervac is a complete waste of money for residential work. However, if you have no intention of using ladders - like me, then they are great. It's the same as the trad versus wfp debates really. To the guy on a ladder the whole idea of spending thousands on a glorified hoover must look like a joke.

mark311069

« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2008, 07:37:42 pm »
Glyn i think your problem on this site is a large number (not all) of folks are in the same position as myself, sole traders with no employees who started of trad and are used to low overheads and a large percentage of their turnover being profit. It is quite difficult to adjust from having very low costs for equipment and supplies to spending thousands. My choices are to cut costs and increase my profits and have more money for personal use or invest in equipment and plan to use it to increase turnover, this leads to another problem.
    I would like a gutter vac but the problem is this my customers are used to having their gutters cleaned out cheaply a typical domestic gutter job for me would take 45 minutes to an hour involve the gutters  emptied (from a ladder)facias being cleaned and cost the customer around about £30 with both parties happy. If i were to purchase a gutter vac and the needed equipment it would no longer be cost effective at my current rates,  would the customer accept the price increase? What is the alternative? after looking at your site i notice that your system apears to be a mixture of off the shelf products and bespoke so an option is to puchase the bespoke items from yourself and get the off the shelf items from else where cheaper.
   This is probably why there are a large number of diyers on this forum because can be hard to get a customer base used to paying prices which they aren't used to so we have to keep our outlay on equipment low.

the main problem is, for the guttervac, you can source the exact same parts and just put them together in a few hours and save yourself alot of money

for the camera, you just need to show the customer what state they are in AND / OR how clean they are after you have finished, a camera on a pole will show that, it doenst need to be HD, im sure even a black and white image would be good enough, afterall thats what the drain camera's used to be ( infact some still are )

i have the camera set up from omnipole i get two or three jobs a month working for my local council doing high level work for them. i e next week i have a job filming support struts over a swimming pool. for that kind of work you need the right gear so omnipoles fits the bill.
so dont think that all you can look at is gutters if you pay the money gety th

mark311069

« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2008, 07:39:28 pm »
Glyn i think your problem on this site is a large number (not all) of folks are in the same position as myself, sole traders with no employees who started of trad and are used to low overheads and a large percentage of their turnover being profit. It is quite difficult to adjust from having very low costs for equipment and supplies to spending thousands. My choices are to cut costs and increase my profits and have more money for personal use or invest in equipment and plan to use it to increase turnover, this leads to another problem.
    I would like a gutter vac but the problem is this my customers are used to having their gutters cleaned out cheaply a typical domestic gutter job for me would take 45 minutes to an hour involve the gutters  emptied (from a ladder)facias being cleaned and cost the customer around about £30 with both parties happy. If i were to purchase a gutter vac and the needed equipment it would no longer be cost effective at my current rates,  would the customer accept the price increase? What is the alternative? after looking at your site i notice that your system apears to be a mixture of off the shelf products and bespoke so an option is to puchase the bespoke items from yourself and get the off the shelf items from else where cheaper.
   This is probably why there are a large number of diyers on this forum because can be hard to get a customer base used to paying prices which they aren't used to so we have to keep our outlay on equipment low.

the main problem is, for the guttervac, you can source the exact same parts and just put them together in a few hours and save yourself alot of money

for the camera, you just need to show the customer what state they are in AND / OR how clean they are after you have finished, a camera on a pole will show that, it doenst need to be HD, im sure even a black and white image would be good enough, afterall thats what the drain camera's used to be ( infact some still are )

i have the camera set up from omnipole i get two or three jobs a month working for my local council doing high level work for them. i e next week i have a job filming support struts over a swimming pool. for that kind of work you need the right gear so omnipoles fits the bill.
so dont think that all you can look at is gutters if you pay the money get the right gear theres a lot more you can do

matt

« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2008, 07:45:15 pm »

so dont think that all you can look at is gutters if you pay the money gety th

thats fair enough, but you get my point about showing if gutters are clean or not

« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2008, 07:53:51 pm »
Yeah, I want to change name on here but d'ont know who to get on to as there is no pm's.

At the top of the page click on 'PROFILE' then on the next page click on 'ACCOUNT RELATED SETTINGS' you can change your name on that page.

ftp

« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2008, 08:51:41 pm »
Why thank you Kevin  ;)

ftp

« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2008, 10:12:38 pm »
Quote from: Kevin R

[quote

I do also think a "users guide" would be useful.

Kev

Complicated things vacuums, aren't they Kevin? - switch on then switch off.  ;D

drive surgeon

« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2008, 10:28:23 pm »
ftp, do you think you deffo need 51mm suction hose when using a diy vac with sl2 base sections?  also does the 51mm hose just fit into the base of one of the sections easy?

ftp

« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2008, 10:42:45 pm »
Bigger the better really. However, there's not much point in using the larger section if the tubes are smaller in my opinion. The 38mm hose with cuff fits perfectly in the Sl2 base section. I have the sections upside down to stop ingress of water and muck into the joins. I think others using SL2 sections might be using the larger hose such as Mr H. Maybe he might pop up and give you an answer. You need to look carefully at the costs involved - i use SL2 sections because i also use an SL2 pole for windowcleaning and can chop and change to give me a 60' windowcleaning pole and wanted the lightest pole i could get.
It could be better for you to buy complete from Omnipole with their own pole. Do the maths and then decide for yourself.

drive surgeon

« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2008, 10:51:22 pm »
i know i cant decide  >:(

wot im looking at is

wet n dry vac                   £259

sl2 base sections x 4       £250

pole for gutter spike        £ ?

attachments                    £ ?

camera pole                     £ ?

do you get everything you need with omnivac?  inc suction pole and spike pole and camera and attachments?    im just starting with domestic ?

*Derek*

« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2008, 12:56:08 am »
If you are happy going up ladders and can access above consevatories then a guttervac is a complete waste of money for residential work.

Fantastically well put  ;D ;D ;D

I tried it and no joy.. Thanks anyway.. 

Glen

« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2008, 09:59:22 am »
Suggest you have a look at our camera system, which is far better than the Maplin system, and includes a lightweight pole, and is excellent value for money.  See http://www.andwat.co.uk/acatalog/NEW_PRODUCT_RANGE_-_WFP_GUTTER_CLEANING_SYSTEM.html

Is this system as good as the Omni one? Seems to be almost one third of the price. Just a thought, how can the gutters be surveyed with a hand-held monitor if two hands are on the pole?

« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2008, 11:49:45 am »
Our system is not claimed to be as highly specified as the Omnipole system, but doesn't need to be.  It's ideal for its purpose - gutter inspection, at a fraction of their price.  The monitor/recorder stores video on an internal SD card - up to 2Gb maximum as an option.  The whole set up is battery operated, so there are NO trailing cables.  The 9V standard PP3 battery is secured to the pole by Velcro, and in over two years' regular use has never become dislodged.  If it did, and fell, it would disconnect from the camera, and 9V batteries are cheap enough.  The recorder has an internal rechargeable lithium battery, giving over 5 hours use between charges.

The last point about the monitor being hand-held or in a pocket applies equally to both ours and the Omnipole system.  In practice, we prefer to secure the monitor to the bottom section of the included lightweight pole, with velcro again, so that you can see in real time what you're actually filming up in the gutter.

Have a look at our earlier post, giving an independent review of our system.

Andrew

ftp

« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2008, 03:27:47 pm »
Good stuff velcro, that's how my battery is secured too in a velcro pouch with another band that straps to the pole. I carry a couple of spares too and use rechargeable. Well done Andrew you have spotted a gap in the market i believe.  ;)

mikecleanz

« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2008, 05:32:40 pm »
You really dont need a camera most of the time just walk along with the scraper on top of the pole to loosen then either vac or presure wash out, it is very rare you need a camera

drive surgeon

« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2008, 05:46:16 pm »
that sounds good as if i get vac the camera is a lot extra money! ::)

ftp

« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2008, 07:09:17 pm »
Another charming post Kevin, well done.