Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

R-CLEAN

RUGS
« on: November 30, 2008, 02:45:18 pm »
Hi all,

Av got a rug to do on monday and i was just after a few tips on cleaning the tassles on the ends and what to use.

Thanks in advance

Ralph

markpowell

Re: RUGS
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 04:05:39 pm »
You can Hwe, then apply the foam from an oxi-brite,fibre buff and fibre shampoo mix by sponge and leave to dry.
Mark.

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 04:40:31 pm »
This is the traditional approach outlined by Mark.  Make sure though, that you do not allow the rug/fringe to come into contact at any time with other fabrics or carpets, otherwise you'll bleach those too.

Another well tried method, after testing, is to clean the fringe with a microsplitter, be generous, then rinse well with water. Many dry strokes. Next you apply white, distilled vinegar, from a spray bottle. Leave a few minutes then vac off only. Do not rinse. Leave to dry. This process has a mild "bleaching" effect without the inherent risks of bleaching. As above, take care not to contaminate other fabrics during drying.

Care must be taken with all fringe cleaning processes not to contaminate the rug face yarns. Also check the fringe as far back into the rugs construction as you can see. Occasionally you may find a single coloured yarn that bleeds like budgery :'(

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

derek west

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 05:11:42 pm »
with my limited experience with rug fringes, ive now started telling custys that the fringe will not come clean, water added in any form seems to make the fringe more yellow than clean, i may try my new CBT as i'm confident i could get a result with it, but everything else ive failed with. think i need a rug cleaning course, or better still a rug fringe cleaning course, rugs i'm fine with, its the fringes that bother me, 100% cotton usually. i'm sure i'll sus it eventually. been told hy perox??? is the best thing. not tried it yet.
derek

JandS

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 06:58:49 pm »
Wouldn't diluted bleach do the trick.
White towelling dipped in it then draw the tassles through the towel nipping it between your thumb and fingers.
Then rinse.
????

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 07:00:58 pm »
Sometimes fringes can be completely knackered.

I will sometimes offer a service of removing the fringes and having the edge whipped!

It's amazing the number of clients who hate fringes; getting stuck in vacuum cleaners etc.
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 07:58:50 pm »
Clean with MS or MP then rinse off and finish with white vinegar ......... less harmful to fibres than bleaching

spencer davies

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 09:28:05 pm »
Don't use bleach, this will have a detrimental effect on the strength of the tassles, white vinegar
is good though.

Or brush in microsplitters and the extract using an upholstery tool.

S

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 09:55:03 pm »
Bleach may perish the tassle so the white vinegar is the safest option, when I worked at a company that took regs away on a large scale we used the strongest bleach going to whiten them.To not get any over spray on to the body of the rug we used to have an old venetian blind that we used as a shield as we were spraying.

Shaun

PS Derek which CB did you buy?

derek west

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 11:21:33 pm »
shaun
cbt remover from texatherm.
just bought a box full, good stuff, put hairs on ya chest.
derek

mark_roberts

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 06:44:30 pm »
This might be a stupid question but does Tesco sell white distilled vinegar??

I dont take the stuff myself so had to ask.

Mark

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 07:03:54 pm »
Yes
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi

derek west

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 07:14:44 pm »
ken

no safe and happy cleaning tonight?
or are you out on the lash and didn't have time to type it?
derek

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 07:32:23 pm »
IT'S MY FEMININE SIDE COMING OUT DEREK.

NOW SHUT UP ;)
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 08:59:46 pm »
It's that time of the month, is it Ken?

Mark

If you have a cash and carry near to you, you can buy it in 5 litre containers. Much better value.
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Adam Fearnley

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2010, 01:09:24 pm »
When you say white vinegar, do you mean pure or diluted??

expro

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2010, 01:44:49 pm »
Prochems  Fibre and fabric rinse will do the job and it does not smell of vinegar.

It is also a good idea to spray the edge of the pile fibres with fibre and fabric rinse
before applying oxibrite etc to the fringes.(it prevents "bleaching/damage to the pile fibre,s).
Expro

Paul Redden Countryfresh

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2010, 04:22:57 pm »

It is also a good idea to spray the edge of the pile fibres with fibre and fabric rinse
before applying oxibrite etc to the fringes.(it prevents "bleaching/damage to the pile fibre,s).

Doesnt acid accelerate the bleaching action, I thought bleach and acid was a no no
"So basically its a big vax!"

colin fitch

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2010, 06:26:48 pm »

Next friday 26th

Aaron Grosclose is at the http://www.thebigclean.co.uk/  in surrey,with a range of his Masterblend products.
He will be covering fringe cleaning/ stain/odour removal
Is anyone going?

Colin.

colin fitch

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2010, 07:14:10 pm »
I will be there along with Mr. Straker

Below is some more information.

Thank you  for  booking you spot on the rug cleaning course with Aaron Groscelose on Friday 26th Feb. You were right to say that he is the best person you could have instructing you on stain and odour removal from rugs and soft furnishings. We're lucky to get a 1 day course from him and people can judge weather they want to take on the challange of becoming a Master Rug Cleaner by taking Part1 and Part2 of the next Master Rug Cleaner Programmer.

Oh by the way the dates have been set for the next Master Rug Cleaner School. The dates are 5-7th July for Part 2 and 8-10th July for the new Part 1 with a Part 2 to follow towards the end of the year.

I think you qaulify for the Part 2 Collin  as you have taken Part one alerady.

If you want to have a look at the Master Rug Cleaning page then go to this page http://www.thebigclean.co.uk/shopcontent.asp?type=Training  and scrol down untill you see the ''Upcomming course ''section and then click on the blue link entitled Master Rug Cleaning.

Regards

Dave Preece
The Big Clean Ltd
0208 393 4778

...................................................................................................................................................................................