Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Nick Sennington

Wanted:Experience
« on: November 30, 2008, 10:46:59 am »
Hi to everyone,
I am in the process of being made redundant after 20 years in Retail Distribution!! Hooray!! The last ten were in management and i am not going back there.
Just prior to this job i did a little carpet cleaning and car valleting so have decided to start up in the industry. I have just completed the Prochem 2 day course and thought it was really helpfull. Any other newbies interested in starting i would deninately advise in a course. I picked up some really useful tips on how to sell yourself and your service to the customer.
I understand it takes time to build a good customer base and gain experience. I have been checking out the forum fo a couple of months and their is a really good vibe and excellent advise on here from like minded people with the occasional bit of banter ( was going to say something else but dont want to be banned before i have started).
Anyway just wondered if there was anyone in the Middlesex area who would be interested in a free pair of hands to help out in exchange for some expert on the job knowledge, i will even throw in lunch.

Many Thanks

Dave_Lee

Re: Wanted:Experience
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 11:20:16 am »
You are right Nick about these forums being helpful to new start ups. Those of us who started long ago (nearly 30 years ago in my case) had no computers never mind internet and forums, and spent many of the early years going through a sequence of 'Trial and Error'. We didnt dare share any experiences with other CCs, in case they gained some advantage, we didnt even speak much to each other, in fact we prfered to ignore each other.
Although today things are different, I dont hink you will find much help from a CC local to you, but I am sure you will find someone willing to help who operates in another location. However make sure he has several years experience and sveral training courses behind him.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

carlton care

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 11:21:53 am »
That is an excellent approach and attitude Nick, only thing is, you might have to get somone outwith your local area to help, but as you've noticed, there are a fair number of people willing to help.

Good luck

robert m  ( about 400 miles North of you )

Nick Sennington

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 11:38:03 am »
Many thanks for your input.
I was thinking the very same thing about someone in my area not wanting to help me with their hard earned expertize. I would be willing to travel a bit further afield.
On a seperate matter has anyone had any experience with Power Flite Extractors?

Many Thanks

from edge2edge

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 12:11:41 pm »
Nick i have the powerflite and it coupled with a wonderwand is an impressive piece of kit both visually and for results.I would recommend the cfr handtool and hose though for upholstery.Alan (swindon)

Nick Sennington

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 12:13:25 pm »
Thanks Alan,
i have noticed a wonder wand for sale on ebay and am looking at bdding.

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 12:17:29 pm »
your more then wellcome to spend a day out with us but i live in the north east if you want to travle , i dont use portys and only have truckmount how ever if uyou cant find anybody give us a shout

Nick Sennington

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 12:28:01 pm »
Thanks very much for the offer Susan i will bear it in mind.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 01:02:58 pm »
Nick get intouch with www.ncca.co.uk they will find a cleaner to go out with a bit nearer to home, Susan and Julian have hearts of gold but it's a bit of journey and you can't learn it in a day you need a week to just understand modern carpet cleaning as I'm sure you will agree it will have changed since you last donned overalls and chemical scoops.

Shaun

clinton

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 01:10:59 pm »
Nick thats a good attitude mate :)

I started many years back and i did do work with a couple of carpet cleaners here in stockport and i learnt so much from them even started doing a few days a week sub contracting which helped me get my feet on the ground :)

Have a look in your local y pages etc and am sure someone will be willing to help :)

Nick Sennington

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 01:17:11 pm »
Thanks to everyone for advice will gladly take it all on board.

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 01:40:15 pm »
Nick,
Many good CC's in your area ........... i am in Surrey with 25 yrs exp and happy to oblige if you cannot get closer!!
Object of the exercise is to spend a day with someone with as much experience as you can find .......... trade association will help but no marker of years served ............ NCCA course i attended was full of people with 6 months and a Numatic machine  :o
Jon Oldham at Blaze is clued up and in Teddingon, also Paul Johnson at Keen2Clean in Ealing......so may be worth giving them a shout at least ;)

ps...... in all fairness, a day with me will not be a full day as tend to be done by lunchtime  ::)

Nick Sennington

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2008, 01:59:48 pm »
Hi Chris,

Sad to say i still have my original Numatic machine from 20 years ago. It still fires up first time but all the attachments are falling to bits. Machines seem to have moved on leaps and bounds in this time.
Many thanks for the offer and the heads up on cc's more local to me. Do you think they would be ok with me contacting them as they may see me as potential new competition in the future. Do they use the forum?

One bonus of finnishing at lunch time is more time for lunch.

All advise much appreciated

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2008, 02:13:08 pm »
Not knocking machinery or operator ........ just that you will need experience using different methods as well as equipment ............ have a chat with them as you are not just looking for work in same areas but are close enough to be of some help either way  ;)

Kev Loomes

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2008, 05:02:17 pm »
Nick

What is your working radius from Northwood?

Kev

clinton

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008, 05:09:17 pm »
Nick

It should not matter if you re in close range of another cleaner as myself and a few cleaners on this site live not far away and one cleaner just a few mins away and we do help each other out in work if we get stuck :)

Nick Sennington

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008, 05:33:29 pm »
Hi Kev
I will go as far as i have to to get started. What sort of radius would you reccomend? Nice looking piece of software by the way.

Hi Clinton
It makes a lot of sense to have allies in the same field of work. I will take yours and chris's advise and contact my local carpet cleaners in the hope they are as helpfull and friendly as you guys.

Thanks

Kev Loomes

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2008, 05:41:36 pm »
Nick

It should not matter if you re in close range of another cleaner as myself and a few cleaners on this site live not far away and one cleaner just a few mins away and we do help each other out in work if we get stuck :)

Same here Clinton, in fact I know a few cleaners local to me and its not a problem.

It's good to chat and help with existing CC's because they have their own clients and established businesses which you wont really effect.

I think you'll find myself at the top of the list to help others (as I have away from the forum) ;)

Kev

Kev Loomes

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2008, 05:49:23 pm »
Hi Kev
I will go as far as i have to to get started. What sort of radius would you reccomend? Nice looking piece of software by the way.

Hi Clinton
It makes a lot of sense to have allies in the same field of work. I will take yours and chris's advise and contact my local carpet cleaners in the hope they are as helpfull and friendly as you guys.

Thanks

Hi Nick

How long is a piece of string? Its a personal thing really, some people will travel absolute miles and miles, others will only stick to their town. I personally wont go more than 30 miles - even then it HAS to be a good high end job. But I will go a bit more if its seriously mad to turn it down.

The only reason I asked was because I wasnt sure how far you would be willing to travel. You might have wanted to tag along with myself and my son? (e mail me seperately).

Thanks for the compliment - it's essential to have the right software especially when starting out new ;)

Kev

Nick Sennington

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2008, 06:01:17 pm »
Hi Kev,

Thats a good offer and i would be very happy to accept. I will drop you a mail.

Thanks