Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Steve B

Ladder Positioning?
« on: November 29, 2008, 09:39:01 am »
Hi All,

Now I'm new to this exciting business of Window Cleaning have almost got the kit together and will hopefully start in the next week.

My question is on best place to position the ladder when doing 2nd floor bedroom windows.

Should I position the top of the ladder up under the sill and clean reaching up or position the ladder to one side but extend the ladder higher so comes up half way up the window (if you see what I mean) and clean one side then move ladder to opposite side of window to clean other half.

Sorry if it's a stupid question and may well be a simple answer but there is always a right way and wrong way of doing what appears the simplest task.
All the best

Steve

Mr H

Re: Ladder Positioning?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 10:04:34 am »
Read the "Working at height" regulations on the health and safety website. Then read the ladder safety section on the health and safety website.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/falls/ladders.htm

http://www.hse.gov.uk/falls/regulations.htm

http://www.hse.gov.uk/falls/index.htm

Also check for specific window cleaning items on the HSE website....

http://www.hse.gov.uk/search/googlecoop.htm?q=window+cleaning&cof=FORID%3A11&cx=015848178315289032903%3Akous-jano68#1146

Once you have done that go out and get a WFP system.....

HIGH LEVEL WINDOW CLEANERS (scrimmy)

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 10:09:41 am »

scary aint it seeing the spikes come up to you before you land on them......dont do any ladder work unless properly trained and in my opinion 2nd floor work? forget it mate. 8)

Mr H

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 10:10:35 am »
Forgot this one to.....

Its a leafet from the HSE about window cleaning from ladders....

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/misc613.pdf

Regards
MR H

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 10:14:14 am »
Get a stand-off, they make it easier to clean the window and safer too.

HIGH LEVEL WINDOW CLEANERS (scrimmy)

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 10:20:47 am »
if you have to go up a ladder then safety 1st...matts right about getting a device such as that, however even if the ladder was bolted to the wall and set in 6 feet foundations it is still inherently unsafe as you the user are mobile on them, the ladder will be ok in a gust of wind, but unless you are superhuman then you are going bye bye's.....and if you are wearing the wrong boots/footwear then you can slip off very easily.....go wfp mate.

Steve B

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 10:25:25 am »
Some good advice but I feel I may have mislead slightly I think I should have said 1st floor windows and not 2nd ie: not ground floor the one above. I would never dare go higher than that.
All the best

Steve

Steve B

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 10:27:40 am »
Get a stand-off, they make it easier to clean the window and safer too.

I like the look of this!
All the best

Steve

Elginn

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 10:37:48 am »
Buy a set of these if you need to use ladders for w/c (stay safe)
http://www.laddatec.com/

seandyer2003

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 11:24:45 am »
Its not that bad as everyone makes out to justify their expense on wfp, if you can afford to go wfp then it is wiser but ladders arent the dangerous thing everyone here makes out if you use them sensibly, if you are sensible you will have a life time using them without incident, just take it slow and dont do anything you dont feel safe on.....ever- the customer will not pay you for a broken leg !!

Elginn

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 11:47:12 am »
Hi All,

Now I'm new to this exciting business of Window Cleaning have almost got the kit together and will hopefully start in the next week.

My question is on best place to position the ladder when doing 2nd floor bedroom windows.

Should I position the top of the ladder up under the sill and clean reaching up or position the ladder to one side but extend the ladder higher so comes up half way up the window (if you see what I mean) and clean one side then move ladder to opposite side of window to clean other half.

Sorry if it's a stupid question and may well be a simple answer but there is always a right way and wrong way of doing what appears the simplest task.

I would recommend trying to work with an experienced WC'er for a bit who can show you how to use a ladder properly. personally I think all these contraptions to fit to ladders are unnecessary. Its ALL about experience IMO, working with an experienced guy means he can do the difficult ones whilst you get used to working at height on the easy ones.
But if he have no one to foot the ladder or doesn't have a safety device fitted, then he's breaking H&S guide lines before he starts.

Steve B

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 11:48:48 am »
Its not that bad as everyone makes out to justify their expense on wfp, if you can afford to go wfp then it is wiser but ladders arent the dangerous thing everyone here makes out if you use them sensibly, if you are sensible you will have a life time using them without incident, just take it slow and dont do anything you dont feel safe on.....ever- the customer will not pay you for a broken leg !!

I agree common sense is the key factor.

From my original post all I was trying to get at was those that use ladders when cleaning 1st floor windows do people usually extend the ladder to rest just under the window sill or extend it above the window and move the ladder along as you work across the window.

I didn't mean to turn it into a health and safety issue but was my fault for which I must apologise as I did say in original post 2nd floor windows. Although it has been interesting looking at more of the safety devices available.
All the best

Steve

seandyer2003

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 11:54:21 am »
Hi All,

I would recommend trying to work with an experienced WC'er for a bit who can show you how to use a ladder properly. personally I think all these contraptions to fit to ladders are unnecessary. Its ALL about experience IMO, working with an experienced guy means he can do the difficult ones whilst you get used to working at height on the easy ones.
But if he have no one to foot the ladder or doesn't have a safety device fitted, then he's breaking H&S guide lines before he starts.

Behave, the guidelined say you can use ladders for work of short duration and ladders have been said to not be illegal for wc's....lets not go down the "ladders are illegal route" why are b&q still selling them?

Elginn

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2008, 11:54:42 am »
If you get some ladder mits they will reduce the chances of the ladder slipping on the window sills, were ever possible, put the ladder into the recess of the window frame.

You also need something to level your ladder up on un-even ground, the chances of finding anywhere with level ground is very slim.

Always think of your own safety first, don't take risks for a couple of quide.

Elginn

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2008, 11:56:46 am »
Hi All,

Behave, the guidelined say you can use ladders for work of short duration and ladders have been said to not be illegal for wc's....lets not go down the "ladders are illegal route" why are b&q still selling them?
I don't see any quote there, or anyone mentioning the use of ladders to be illegal

seandyer2003

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2008, 11:58:25 am »

From my original post all I was trying to get at was those that use ladders when cleaning 1st floor windows do people usually extend the ladder to rest just under the window sill or extend it above the window and move the ladder along as you work across the window.

I didn't mean to turn it into a health and safety issue but was my fault for which I must apologise as I did say in original post 2nd floor windows. Although it has been interesting looking at more of the safety devices available.

If the window is flat/flush with wall i would have my ladders in the centre of the area im going to clean so i can reach each way equally, and a few inches above the window sill to give you the highest possible reach, if your ladder is too far under the sill you may struggle to reach the top of the glass/frame, if the window is a bay etc you may need to put the ladder under the sill so it doesnt slip, my first ladder incident caused by inexperience was the ground being uneven and as i went up it rocked to one side into the mortar causing the top to slide of the sill on the bay, so its all common sense mate, just take it slow to not learn the hard way !!

Steve B

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2008, 12:09:24 pm »

If the window is flat/flush with wall i would have my ladders in the centre of the area im going to clean so i can reach each way equally, and a few inches above the window sill to give you the highest possible reach, if your ladder is too far under the sill you may struggle to reach the top of the glass/frame, if the window is a bay etc you may need to put the ladder under the sill so it doesnt slip, my first ladder incident caused by inexperience was the ground being uneven and as i went up it rocked to one side into the mortar causing the top to slide of the sill on the bay, so its all common sense mate, just take it slow to not learn the hard way !!

Hi Sean,

Thank you very much indeed that is exactly what I wanted to know. I will be taking it slow and steady, I already have factory fitted Supagrip feet attached to the ladder and will also invest in say laddermate or similar.
All the best

Steve

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2008, 12:20:40 pm »
Also, to save moving your ladder unnecessarily learn to squeegee with both hands.

Steve B

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2008, 12:25:08 pm »
Also, to save moving your ladder unnecessarily learn to squeegee with both hands.

Good point
All the best

Steve

Paul Coleman

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2008, 12:58:36 pm »
Some good advice but I feel I may have mislead slightly I think I should have said 1st floor windows and not 2nd ie: not ground floor the one above. I would never dare go higher than that.

I would suggest WFP.  However, if you must go up a ladder, a "must have" is a pair of ladder mitts.  It cuts out any sideways slipping and also protects the surface where the top of the ladder is leaning.