Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

DavidWright76

Bait & switch?
« on: November 28, 2008, 07:59:23 pm »
What do you think?

DavidWright76

Re: Bait & switch?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 08:00:44 pm »
& no it is not mine! It was posted through my letter box the other day.

suffolkclean

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 08:13:13 pm »
Wouldn't it be interesting to book them for a carpet clean, be friendly make them a cuppa, chat and watch extactly what they get up to for those silly prices?!!!

markpowell

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 08:14:03 pm »
Maybe not, i see he has his minimum charge of £32.50
You would have to have at least 2 items cleaned as the most expensive item is £31.50.
Then again i see he has put "from" above the price list. So maybe it is switch & bait.
I have seen leaflets going round with prices alot cheaper than these. i will dig one out and post.
Mark  

Len Gribble

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 08:20:59 pm »
I would have them Monday and ask for a receipt so I could claim the VAT back (Monday going down so I would presume that it will reflect in the price)

Are ProClean still going?

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

suffolkclean

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 09:50:24 pm »
Oh sorry didn't read that bit re.min charge. So many people are wanting bargain basement prices at the moment. Enquiries for costs for CC via letting agents passing on our number, they say ' oh can you give me an idea of cost' do you know sizes of your rooms? no - its very big. So you work out a rough cost give it to them. Then find out they're going to do it themselves ahhhh, they think its so easy anyone can clean carpets. Then when we do the general cleaning & I see the carpet clean they've done and they havn't even hoovered in at the edges. mmm quality carpet clean

Sorry rant finished!

Jim_77

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 10:15:04 pm »
Crikey, I'd better put my prices down ::)

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 11:15:03 pm »
quite good marketing really, sounds very cheap, but a minimum price, varies with room size & dirtiness, i willing to bet that prices will be at least double what it says when he goes to quote, bet hes phone dont stop ringing!!

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 11:35:37 pm »
Jim
so whats your unit price at the moment??

Daryl

Jim_77

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 12:18:55 am »
Just gone up to £3.30 ;)

Don't always stick to the chart, smaller areas are quoted higher and volume discount waved under customers' noses.  I quote for upholstery totally differently.

suffolkclean

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 08:31:08 am »
Jim are you keeping busy at the moment? Your charging more than us, are you TM?
We are getting new work booked in, but as I said getting quite a few people not going ahead due to price and doing it themselves.

carlton care

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 11:43:55 am »
Have to agree with Russell on this........................it's good marketing !!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike Halliday

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 12:03:39 pm »
if he is VAT reg'd then he is earning more than 90% of the carpet cleaners on this site, so he must be doing something right ;) ;)

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Jim_77

Re: Bait & switch? New
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2008, 01:10:40 pm »
Jim are you keeping busy at the moment? Your charging more than us, are you TM?
We are getting new work booked in, but as I said getting quite a few people not going ahead due to price and doing it themselves.

Only about 5 free days in the diary before Xmas, but some days only half-booked.  It's gone a bit mad the last couple of weeks!

It's just me and my trusty Ninja at the moment :)

If you are fixated on price, so will your customers be!  I price my work to justify both the skill and work ethic I bring to my customers, and the results I can achieve.  I then SELL this to them.

My acceptance rate has gone down a bit in the last year or two, sure, but the clients I'm picking up are all extremely comfortable paying my prices.  That's because before I've even got any kit out of the van, they have the reassurance that they're getting value for money and are taking no risks.

I issue a guarantee certificate to every customer I quote for.  It covers two things, firstly all the normal stuff like quality of work and high standards of service.  The second, most important part, is that they do not pay me any money until they tell me they are 100% satisfied with what I've done for them.

I give them the written quote and guarantee certificate together.  I show them the price on the quote and then draw their attention to the guarantee, which pulls the emphasis away from the pound signs.  I'm by no means a natural salesman, or do I claim to be brilliant at what I do in terms of selling to people, but as time goes on I'm finding it easier to understand how peoples' minds work and just help make the decision a little easier for them  ;)

My philosophy is (and this isn't aimed at you by the way) that it's easy to secure work through low prices but something's gotta give if you're doing it cheap!

Sorry for the mini novel :)

P.S. Mike, that's not a £/m² price, it's what I charge for a "unit" of work, according to the SM system.  Example:  I've just booked in a small job, bedroom carpet, at minimum charge which equates to a per m² price of £6.25+vat (£7.19 inc vat).

Last week I did a large domestic property and it would work out at around £2.70+vat (roughly £3 inc vat) per m².  I'll make a lot more profit out of the lower rate bigger job than doing 4 or 5 of the higher rate smaller jobs in one day.  I'll also have a much easier day!

I can't understand why more people don't price like this ???