Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dave0123

Employing
« on: November 28, 2008, 05:29:26 pm »
Hi,

I just wondering roughly how long would it take a young lad doing trad work on bottom windows houses before he starts to earn you money?  i understand everyone is diffrent but just as a general rule?

Thanks
Dave.

RSWindows

Re: Employing
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 06:22:22 pm »
when i started doing this, roughly about 7 years ago i remember picking it up in no time had the teqnique in 1 day and up to speed in about a week. dont imagine it being much more than that

ronnie paton

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 06:26:49 pm »
i would sy longer, but it al depends every one is different.

and up to speed is general i have about 4 speeds depending on mood and how busy i am but im still to meet some one that can work has fast has me(or willing to for my wages ;D)

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 06:49:35 pm »
It depends how much you are going to pay him.

If you pay him £40 per day, your work needs to be increased by about £60 just to break even.

You have to allow him 27 days holiday, pay his expenses and 12.8% Employers liability (rising to 13.3%)

Add to that £40 profit, he needs to add to your days taking at least £100

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 07:20:26 pm »
Correct, its going up to 27 days from April 09

dave0123

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 07:46:09 pm »
rs,

it takes more than a week! surely you carnt clean windows to a good standard fast within a wee.

well hes been with me for 2 and half months and he has got faster but not fast as i would like. he is on mim wage with a bounus once hes fast.

i thought it took a good 3 months before you got the hang of it then another few months to become really good at your work with speed.

i duno  ::)
Dave.

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 07:52:59 pm »
rs,

it takes more than a week! surely you carnt clean windows to a good standard fast within a wee.

well hes been with me for 2 and half months and he has got faster but not fast as i would like. he is on mim wage with a bounus once hes fast.

i thought it took a good 3 months before you got the hang of it then another few months to become really good at your work with speed.

i duno  ::)

It will depend on how good his teacher is and what motivation is. Min wage is not a great motivation and simply getting fast can loose quality.

At min wage for 35 hours that =  just over £200 so ask yourself how much over £60 per day is he adding to the takings??

dave0123

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 08:05:06 pm »
well he is only 16 years old personaly i think thats bloody good wage as alot of older people doing diffrent jobs are on minuim wage alot.

hes not earning his wage at the moment, yes i know it can loose quality going fast but hes got to try it otherwise hes never going to get faster if you know what i mean you have to help yourself get faster.
Dave.

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 08:12:46 pm »
 The minimum rate for workers aged 16-17 £3.53. Going up to £4.77 between 18 and 21.

So you are probably paying him more than he should be earning.

A 16 year old will struggle to generate enough extra turnover to justify £5.73 puls bonus.

dave0123

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 08:17:09 pm »
hmm see what your saying.

so basicly a 16/17 year old isnt going to earn much more to your daily income lol.

I spose at least there is more work getting done and on the whole will be able to expand further in the long run.

dave
Dave.

NWH

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 08:26:49 pm »
6 months it would take someone at least,they need to learn your round and how you want it done.If anyone thinks that can be done in a week there either wrong or they have a different standard to me,to start off with you`ll have to check his-her work daily for the first couple of months.

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2008, 08:33:58 pm »
hmm see what your saying.

so basicly a 16/17 year old isnt going to earn much more to your daily income lol.

I spose at least there is more work getting done and on the whole will be able to expand further in the long run.

dave

In part I guess it's why the Gov set the level so low. A kid out of schoolhas to learn the work ethic.

RSWindows

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 08:59:28 pm »
well i started on commercial sites with large panes of glass, so mabie i had the advantage of having large areas to learn fanning but within 1 week i was more than earning my keep. Dont get me wrong to get to a stage where i could "let rip" and fly through the work took a lot longer but i only go at that pace if i really really have to. Window cleaning should be relaxed enough that you can go at a comfortable pace unless seriously behind in work. To get torn in all the time is just silly as you feel like you have done a weeks work come 5pm monday evening.

dave0123

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2008, 09:09:37 pm »
In part I guess it's why the Gov set the level so low. A kid out of schoolhas to learn the work ethic.

Most proberly yes, but as i say least its getting more work done and hopefully soon will start to pick up pace.

I understand all the learning what work involves etc to a young lad.. i went through it myself only about 7 years ago  ;D

months it would take someone at least,they need to learn your round and how you want it done.If anyone thinks that can be done in a week there either wrong or they have a different standard to me,to start off with you`ll have to check his-her work daily for the first couple of months.

I agree with NWH, working with trad my standards are quite high. Window must be cleaned to very good standard all windows are detailed no bits of soap left to dry like you see on some places and all window sills wiped clean a few times all soap removed stoping any water drying black, and so on.
Dave.

RSWindows

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2008, 11:01:24 pm »
too many people on here think this is rocket science ITS NOT!!!

you all talk of having high standards, how hard is it to clean a pane of glass SERIOUSLY!

Do it right first time, wipe the mess JOB DONE!

If i took someone on and they wern't up to scratch within 1 month MAX they would be gone. I check the site (all glass) before leaving, even if it was me who did the work

Dean Taberner

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2008, 08:26:54 am »
The problem with 16/17 year olds is that if they havent already found the booze, they will do by the time theyre 18. Reliability then becomes a serious problem.

Then again,

I know of 30+ year olds who have the same problem :-\

I employ a lad whos 29 and has got  a family to support and house to pay for. I must admit hisreliability has never been a problem. And also a 25 year old who really struggles to attend. Ive put the 25 year old on part-time hours.

Dean
Operations manager at J.V Price Ltd

http://www.thepricegroup.co.uk

steve a

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2008, 08:40:27 am »
It takes 3 months to train average guy up, if keen a little less.  Thats's using ladders mind.

I can see where you are coming from regarding the drinking and timekeeping.
 Have had lots of lads work for me in the past and morning timekeeping/coming in with hangovers is worrying when you employ, and they don't take kindly to being asked why they are late or look like poo.

I may be too hard on staff over starting time but, when I agree a starting time of say 6 o-clock and they aint there for 2 mins past then i'm gone and they lose a days pay. then they are ringing me up at 6.30 saying i'm late, not them, but me!
Come on, how long does somone wait 1 min, 2mins 10 mins a half hour, all day!
If I was to meet someone for work at 6 o-clock i would make damn sure that i was there for 10 to 6. no problem.

I could go on

Steve a

jaykie

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2008, 08:49:15 am »

steve a

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2008, 08:59:33 am »

I could go on

Go on im listening

LOL ;D ;D ;D

I could but i'm going to work now as i no longer employ, and i'm late and have a hangovr.  ;) ;D ;D