Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

simbo

overheated plug
« on: November 27, 2008, 08:10:39 pm »
Anyone know why my machine plug gets so hot that the fuse blows, then once cooled new fuse and away we go sometimes with no problems again.
anyone help?
cheers paul

Re: overheated plug
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 08:13:38 pm »
drawing to much current. ensure you have the right fuse rating in the plug, and ensure the lead is fully laid out not wound up.

any other info would be useful, such as the machine your connection set up etc.

could also be a faulty appliance?

ady

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 08:33:09 pm »
simbo ,I have an extracta excell and mines got the same probs as yours ,never looked into it to much as like you it rights itself and it passed elec test ,what machine you got?

carlton care

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 09:48:04 pm »
A heavier cable might be needed especially if you're using a heating element in the machine.

simbo

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 10:01:45 pm »
don,t use this machine often but its a grace 5020 with inline heater, works great apart from this problem. The fuse does not look blown as it would normally but whole plug very hot indeed.
cheers paul

carlton care

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 10:07:03 pm »
Ask JK at Restoremate, he's a dealer and will probably have the correct answer, which is better than guessing.

John Kelly

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 10:53:57 pm »
I'll save you the bother. Normally what causes a plug to over heat is a bad connection in the plug itself. Check all the connections. Re-do them if needed by cutting the flex back to fresh shiney wire. Next common fault is an internal break in the flex usually where it enters the machine and has been stressed. The wire breaks inside one of the cables causing the current to jump the gap. This raises the amps leading to a strain on the plug and socket which causes the overheating.
Failing these there is probably a fault on one of the machine components.
Get it sorted, water and faulty electrics don't mix and it might not be you who gets hurt it could be your customer or worse still their child. Imagine how much crap that would bring down on you, its not worth it for the sake of a few quid. If you're busy make the time.

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 07:18:13 am »
Sometimes if the cable is to long it can cause this.

ollie

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 07:47:05 am »
I once had that problem which I didnt know about and as I was changing my vac plug over to the heater plug(only one socket in reach) I was, without realising it leaving hundreds of tiny burn burn marks in the carpet all over the hallway where I was just dropping the other plug! Custy didnt mind though wouldnt let me replace it and I still work for her  :-[   Mine was a wire touching another in the plug or something??
ollie

Aquakleen Restoration Services

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 08:48:57 am »
simbo ,I have an extracta excell and mines got the same probs as yours ,never looked into it to much as like you it rights itself and it passed elec test ,what machine you got?

Ady Ive never had this problem with my Excel so I would have it checked out if I was you!

brian willis

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 09:20:49 am »
Wise words from JK listen to what he has said.

simbo

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 01:19:32 pm »
re done all connections even though they looked fine this morning and seems to be fine now
cheers all paul