Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Kevin R

How far do you travel?
« on: November 27, 2008, 07:35:21 pm »
How far do you guys travel for work?

My residential work is all located around where I live in Tiverton, but I have commercial work throughout Devon and Somerset, including Exeter, Taunton, Tiverton, Cullompton, Honiton, Sidmouth, Exmouth, Newton Abbot and Torbay. I have even been asked to quote in Plymouth and Truro.

Since I started really advertising my commercial services people have phoned and asked could we cover their area. I am sure they must have local guys but still want us to quote. Never one to be frightened of work I go and quote and we seem to be getting the work. 

Obviously I would not travel for small jobs but I don't mind for the large ones.

What makes commercial clients look for cleaners outside their areas?

kevin James

Re: How far do you travel?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 07:41:36 pm »
Simple. The glass is always cleaner over there!

Sorry, kevin the quad.

pingu

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 07:42:16 pm »
My average travel per day for the past year is 55km's per day.

Cheers
Dave.

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 07:43:05 pm »
I travel for work. If its out of the area it generally due to recomdation both on commercial and residential.

With them both I explain time in traveling and petrol costs and tear n wear on the vehicle.

They wear the price increase..but only if you are as good as you say you are.

i have window cleaning 30 - 40 miles away from me residential. And I have said they wont want me as I would be astronomical due to petrol & travel time there and back price.

They wanted me and my team. They like it, but we do a better job then the local boys. We dont mind taking the time as it pays really really well.

Dave

kevin James

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 07:49:14 pm »
My average for the week is 60 miles. 95% of t'work is within 5 miles (around 650 custies )
Costs me approx £15 a week.

Kevin

wightsurf

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 07:51:05 pm »
I live on a island , so i can only drive 15 miles in any direction. Unless i drive round in a circle all day  ::)
I have thought about trying to get work in portsmouth or southampton (comercial only)

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 07:58:25 pm »
80% of my work is within 1-2 miles of home.

I also have a smaller round I work 17 miles away.

R.V.A Window Cleaning Services

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 09:11:41 pm »
I do a 48 mile round trip every 6 weeks for 1 residential customer :o
In the kingdom of the blind the one eyed man is king

HIGH LEVEL WINDOW CLEANERS (scrimmy)

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 09:58:53 pm »
12000 miles once a year......gold coast in oz....going there in 10 days time ;D

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 10:51:08 pm »
The ones I have been getting lately have not been from recommendation just from the website. I have been putting in the price I would locally but adding for time traveling / fuel / wear and tear. Most of it is a days work per job so to me its worth traveling for.

Just wondered if many other people do this?

Hi Kev,

I do the same providing I can get at least a full days work in one location to make it worthwhile. I'm happy to travel 25 miles diameter in any direction from home if it's worth it for compact work or big jobs. Try to complete inland work at first opportunity and coastal work second because of different weather conditions in local area being sandwiched between the moors and the coast.

seandyer2003

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 11:18:10 pm »
I do 40 +round trip a day, but all my work is there within 2-3 miles, so i keep it there as i collect after work and come home, no driving anywhere else for money, anyone not in posts the dosh, i work there because the work is 100 x better than where i live, where i am its wc city and they do it for dole top up so its £5 for houses id want 12, so i go over there for better money simple!! So i make over double a day what i would here - so to me that worth a 30 minute drive each way, commercial i would go where ever paid well, i am hoping to bag commercial near me though as that is a bonus and the money will be good, priced one today only 4 mile away and 1 mile from another small commercial i do so thats a good turn out, but i dont see why shouldnt travel if you need too....until congestion charging comes in in manchester :(

Dean Taberner

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 01:51:43 pm »
Nationwide   :o :o

Dean
Operations manager at J.V Price Ltd

http://www.thepricegroup.co.uk

East coast window cleaning Services

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2008, 02:31:56 pm »
Based In North london, Go as far north as Cambridge And as far south as south london. as far as southend east, and as far as aylesbury west. is theres a decent wedge to be earned we will do it. Saying that one of our larger contract are wanting us to quote all there jobs in the south of england so maybe if all goes well i maybe subbing some work you way boys & girls.
P&R Window Cleaning

AJ

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 04:37:35 pm »
About 70 - 100 miles round trip a day. Doing 25k a year in the work horse.
Live in Essex, Nr Stansted.
Go to Sittingbourne in Kent, Surbiton, Croydon, Heathrow, Hemel Hempstead. Mostly Central London though.
Anywhere where they want to pay me really.

Klean07

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2008, 05:03:29 pm »
12000 miles once a year......gold coast in oz....going there in 10 days time ;D

Very nice indeed I was there in 2006 in Coolengata. I have relatives there. Loved watching the surfers. Watch out for the fruit bats though mate theyre massive.
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk

Ian W

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2008, 05:11:00 pm »
All my work is within 10 miles of my house. I do about 350 miles in a month.

BTW Kevin, stayed in Cullompton last year at the little campsite right next to Diggerland! The kids loved it.  ;D
Do all the good you can, and make as little fuss about it as possible.
Charles Dickens

Ian W

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2008, 05:36:38 pm »
Don't know how old they are, but you don't have to wait until they are bigger. We first went when one of mine was about 3. They can sit on your lap to drive the diggers, etc.  ;D
Do all the good you can, and make as little fuss about it as possible.
Charles Dickens

AuRavelling79

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2008, 09:07:32 pm »
I do a 48 mile round trip every 6 weeks for 1 residential customer :o
Madness

Well I suppose it's worth it if it's a big house like Suggs's got.

Seriously - I have most of my round within 3 miles, including half of my commercials. But I have some bigger residential grouped in and around one village and one commercial job about 8/12 miles away.
It's a game of three halves!

Lakes and Pennine

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2008, 09:40:20 pm »
a lot of my work was on the door step till I moved for a better quality of life, now that work is 20 miles away. alot of other good stuff involves 100 mile round trip and thats sometime 25 quid a day in the tranny. Thats a bit anoying but it pays well. I suppose if someone said will you travel to such and such for so much I wouild have said yes. Just got to get myself out of bed earlier.
On the plus side I have sorted it out into a 4 day week to save on fule and give me wednesdays (usualy) to persue higher intrests

steve a

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2008, 11:02:11 pm »
About 70 - 100 miles round trip a day. Doing 25k a year in the work horse.
Live in Essex, Nr Stansted.
Go to Sittingbourne in Kent, Surbiton, Croydon, Heathrow, Hemel Hempstead. Mostly Central London though.
Anywhere where they want to pay me really.

25000 wow when do you find the time to clean windows ;D