Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Raymondo

Residential homes
« on: November 26, 2008, 01:19:45 pm »
One of the residential homes that we clean have today told us that new regulation have come in that say that we can only clean the carpets between 7am and 10am or between 6.30pm to 10.00pm.

Has anyone else heard about this.

If its correct I think the price will be going up.

Ray

Jim_77

Re: Residential homes
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 02:55:14 pm »
Might be their regulations but I doubt if it's law.

I've just tried ringing the manager of my regular care home (where i work, not live :P) but his phone is turned off.  I'll try him again later and see if he's heard about it.

clinton

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 03:04:38 pm »
Dont think its a new regulation.

I cleaned one about 5 weeks ago and was cleaning from 9 in the morn till 3 in the afternoon.

Think its the home were you clean maybe :)

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 03:18:41 pm »
I'd have thought that these times were less desireable and create more H&S issues. These are the times when you're likely to have more foot traffic due to the residents getting up, going for a bath, transfering to the dining areas then the lounge areas etc. etc. etc.

Also, if there are people still sleeping, your activities and ensuing noise is likely to be more disruptive and not good for their wellbeing.

If this is the instance, my own risk assessment would dictate that cleaning at a more appropriate time would be more beneficial to all concerned.

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

carlton care

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 04:37:04 pm »
Why would the price go up !!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 04:39:09 pm »
maybe it would go up if you had to work til 10pm, mine certainly would, also before 9 it would too

Raymondo

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 04:56:16 pm »
We are doing this home early on Friday morning so will find some more then on whether it is a new rule for that home only.

Spoken to another home that we clean for they have heard nothing about it at all.

The owner went to a meeting with social services today and she spoke to health and safety who were there and as far as they know nothing is changing we can clean as normal.

Big sigh of relief.

But there always a but she did say that a new rule in the pipeline if a person spends an extended  period of time working in a residential home they will soon have to have a CRB check done on them.

Ray

carlton care

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 06:05:26 pm »
maybe it would go up if you had to work til 10pm, mine certainly would, also before 9 it would too

Are you saying you don't normally work till 9 or 10 pm ?

derek west

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 06:19:53 pm »
ive got a 6 pm tomorrow, same price as usual.
derek

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 11:45:51 pm »

Are you saying you don't normally work till 9 or 10 pm ?

er no, not if i can help it, if i do, its extra dosh, if you ever expanded and had staff to pay, im sure they would want time and a half

spindle

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 12:18:58 am »
i clean private members clubs in west end............but only w/e and night time.start 9 pm finsh 7 am..........3-4 times a year.......and ocassional accident......

i dont charge extra to clean at night. why should i?
its convienent for me to clean at this time...no traffic/parking charges/congestion charge/spaces/people to worry about .....
i have a understanding wife(she understands she gets the money ;D)

i do very well out of it ......i am available at all times to clean and earn money  ;D
life is one big learning experience!!!!!!!

Jim_77

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 01:36:39 am »
I bang 20% on top for a job that's mostly out of normal hours.  I have a life outside work, if my customers want to take up part of it they pay for it!

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 09:21:15 am »
absolutely right jim, just because your happy doing it, doesnt mean you cant charge more, people seem to forget they are running a business, the aim is to make a profit

derek west

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 02:11:51 pm »
nothing else is dearer on a sunday, 24hr tesco's don't put there prices up at midnight, ive got a great life outside of work, but if i have to clean at unsociable hours then i do it, no extra charge,
each to there own i say. if you wanna charge more thats your perogative.
derek

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 02:18:37 pm »
shops maybe arnt, but you try getting a plumber out on a sunday, bet he charges you slightly more, like a 100 quid more,
its the same with most services.
if i find an opportunity to charge more i will, thats the name of the game

Fraser Thom

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2008, 02:22:48 pm »
Derek, I know where you are coming from but, if you think the customer is going to be happy to pay more for the unsociable hours then, why not charge? 

As Russell says, plumbers etc aren't afraid to charge more for weekends etc.

Fraser

derek west

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2008, 03:44:36 pm »
fair point. but like i said each to there own.
derek

AJB

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2008, 03:50:53 pm »
6 pm to 8 am i usually load 25% on, but quotes are given
for normal hours and unsociable hours. it's amazing how they
manage to work around you, if the price is less.
Definately no sundays, saturday if min £150 job.
www.ajbcarpetcleaning.co.uk
At the end of the day a Satisfied Customer is all that counts, They'll come back and so will their friends!!!

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2008, 05:55:01 pm »
When your business has grown a little, and you employ a technician, he/she will want at least time and half or maybe even double time for unsocial hours, and quite rightly too.

Charge the correct rate now 1) cos you're worth even more than an employee and 2) you could risk loosing a customer if you put your charges up for the priviledge of them having "an Indian" rather than "The Cheif"

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

spindle

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2008, 07:43:11 pm »
russell

i noticed that u like a pint......

what if during the pubs busy hours   eg 12-3    6-11.....they charged more for your pint.....because its busy and its unsocial hours. :o :o.......imagine that .....beer normally £3 but during "busy" periods it was £4........wouldnt you feel ripped off..... :o ;) or maybe start drinking at home....or making home brew :o

the last thing i want is to overprice the work........they could end up buying a machine and training their own staff to do what i consider my job(not rocket science)

when  i clean the clubs.........i get between £75-£100 ph.........depending on how much coffee and cigarettes i have......

if i charged them more........i would clean less........."oh it can wait another 3 months its not that bad"......for the sake of 10/20% is it worth it??   yes i would make the money up over a long period of time......but is shortterm gain better than the bigger picture... ??? :)
life is one big learning experience!!!!!!!