Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Re: HOW MUCH?
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2008, 10:08:59 am »
there are people in my town who clean a suite for 40 quid, they cleaned a 1200 sqft office in town last week for a hundred quid, i charge almopst 3 times what they do, i often get to quote where they have, i normally get the job too, if you run a business then to some extent you need to be a salesman, i never quote over the phone and never put prices on flyers or any ads, if people want a quote over the phone, then they normally want a cheap job, i sell myself on my skills, not price

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2008, 10:33:20 am »
just out of curiuosity JandS, do you have a chem dry operating near you? if so, what do they charge?

JandS

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2008, 11:56:12 am »
1 x chem dry wicksey and 1 x local chemdry and 1 with address in 4 different towns. 2 of the towns on the ad have 0800 1 has 0845 and 1 has the area code but it's a Wakefield address with a Leeds area code.
Don't know if CDW and CD are the same.
3 different ads for them in YP.
01484 886890 Hudds.
01924 496103 this is my local area code but the area of the address is one I've never heard of and I know the area very well, is the CDW one.
Like I said , choice of 4 numbers on the 3rd ad tell me if you want them.

John

Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

pete sween

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2008, 12:43:36 pm »
Course you are Russell just pick up the phone and call one of the thousands of firms offering £140 or so per day...............only problem is WHERE ARE THEY ?

According to what I hear, virtually all manufacturing and service companies are laying people off, so it might be wise to consider where you might be in a year's time.

If you're earning £280 a day ( double the £140 you reckon is rubbish ) you would be wise to make it work for you, because it might be a lot harder to earn half of that in a years time.

Incidentally, Woolworths did have price, as a reason to buy from them and it worked for over 100 years. Pity you were'nt around to advise them in 1909 when they got that daft idea !!!!

Rob

I know you think you are the "second coming" when it comes to business advice but comparing A high street shop to a carpet cleaning business is quite frankly ludicrous. ~The Woolworths thing has been a bomb waiting to go off for a long time (surprised it did'nt happen sooner.

What Russell has said is very true and whilst you are correct that some will be laid off next year this means that many will not be replacing but repairing/refreshing etc. so your argument is flawed and as for "refreshing views" I know Susan and Julian work hard to make their business work but as someone else has said, geographics play a massive part as does an individual firms mktg strategy. So with referrence to the top end like Dave Liahona (lets not get too jealous) and people who price at the lower end it won't be down to price that will sort out the wheat from the chaff it will be about hard work and diligence in all disciplines of our business.

Pete

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2008, 12:54:24 pm »
the reason i was asking you about chem dry and if they operate near you is this, they probably charge 2-3 times what you do, (based on you doing a suite for £65) and they get the work, so what im saying is that its not about the price

JandS

« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2008, 07:23:18 pm »
Might ring and get a quote for the hell of it.
Never see them about, in fact only seen one other cc around here and that was only once driving past one day.
That's in 12 months

John

markpowell

« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2008, 08:39:38 pm »
If I can plan it right as well can get 2 or 3 jobs in the same day within 10 mins of each other.
£99 for a 3 piece, no chance round here.
I chanced my arm on Monday at £65 and after some humming and arghing got a yes.

John

John,
Dont want to come accross as showing off but i only live 10 mins from you, i do work in your area infact i was in Honley yesterday cleaned 2x2 seaters, lounge/diner, SHL and got paid £180.00 for 4 hours work, then came to Halifax and did a £75.00 job. Started at 10 and home for 4.
This is the norm, so you can earn good money in our area if you go about it the right way.
People know that the cheapest is rarely the best.
Mark

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2008, 09:01:19 pm »
And Mark will tell you that compared to Chemdry and others his pricing is in the middle and the customers are better, the quality of items to clean are cleaner and they respect you more.

If you purposely buy the cheapest beans in the supermarket then you have no chance but if you think that you do a better clean than someone else who charges the same money (or more money) then you are under rating yourself.

Selling cheap gromits is great if you can get rid of shed loads in a flash but cleaning takes time and time is our profit.

Look at Woolworths they work on the principles of selling loads at a fair profit but I have a mate who sells BMW's and he is just as busy as last year, people like a quality job done, the 2 hardest things are finding the customers and telling yourself that you are worth the proper money.

Shaun

carlton care

« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2008, 09:08:17 pm »
Pete

Never tried walking on water and at 14 stone reckon I'd sink. There was no comparison between retailers and carpet cleaners intended, the comment was a response to the " might as well get a job " comment.

I was earning more 15 years ago ( pro rata )  than Russell is today but never felt the need to criticise, or insult others who were working for less.

In my dotage, I can only do a couple of small jobs, or one decent one per day and average around £50 -£60 for each hour worked, so that keeps me, not from choice, working just three hours a day.

I just sense there are too many around who only want to put in minimum hours, but expect to still get paid for a days endeavours.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2008, 09:21:09 pm »
But isn't that a time old arguement Robert?

Shaun

carlton care

« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2008, 10:03:20 pm »
It's one that will always return Shaun. I don't agree with bottom end pricing although some will say £50-£60 an hour is bottom end, which is rubbish of course.

Don't really think it's an argument anyway............some will build a sound business on moderate pricing and high standard of work. They will get referrals without asking and their marketing costs will be minimal.

Also, and you've been around long enough to know what I mean when I say that an experienced and competent professional, can get through a job in half the time it would take a less worldly wise operator and
still get a top notch result, which means he / she will potentially earn more on an hourly basis.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2008, 10:18:20 pm »
Speed is one thing but the knowledge of the speed is another it doesn't have to be physical as chemicals or should I say cleaning products can make all of the difference if you know how to use them properly.

So Yes I agree with you Robert, a job can yield the same money but you may get the same out come (if not better) if you know your products you can do it in less time therefore saving you TIME, that's why a lot of cleaners buy TM's but also look at chemicals and techniques.

Shaun

diamond

« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2008, 10:51:02 pm »
Same old crap.

carlton care

« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2008, 11:22:02 pm »
So what gems do you have to offer Diamond ???

JandS

« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2008, 11:35:50 pm »
Where do you live Mark?
Halifax?
Bit more than 10 mins but yes you are near.In my 1st year full time so just taking anything on at al at mo.
Any advice gratefully accepted.
You TM or Porty?

John

« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2008, 08:24:15 am »
Pete

Never tried walking on water and at 14 stone reckon I'd sink. There was no comparison between retailers and carpet cleaners intended, the comment was a response to the " might as well get a job " comment.

I was earning more 15 years ago ( pro rata )  than Russell is today but never felt the need to criticise, or insult others who were working for less.

In my dotage, I can only do a couple of small jobs, or one decent one per day and average around £50 -£60 for each hour worked, so that keeps me, not from choice, working just three hours a day.

I just sense there are too many around who only want to put in minimum hours, but expect to still get paid for a days endeavours.

the reason i insulted you was completely reciprical, so you were earning £146,000 a year 15 years ago, how many people did you have working for you and what trade were you in?

sometimes we need to criticise some people for thier own good, i dont really want to see businesses go under, if im being nasty this is not intended, but you telling people turning over 140 a day is good is complete rubbish

mark_roberts

« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2008, 08:50:07 am »
I got my oven cleaned the other day for £50.  Took him 3 hours.  Hes happy to earn £400 a week.

However this is actually below average wages based on £23k.  Also to pay for 4 weeks holiday, pension, illness insurances, sick pay etc would bring his pay down another £3000 approx a year.

At those figures youd be better off in Tescos with the relative security that provides.

Although you do have to be competitive in your area you also need to earn a good standard of living for you and your family AND your future.  It seems the nation lives for today and dosent provide for tomorrow.

It does take time to build up to a level of income but after spending £28k last year on business expenses you do need to realistic financially.

Mark

bennymon

« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2008, 04:39:48 pm »
done a job today 1 leather sofa 1 chair 1 small bed room  and stairs charged 190 they showed me a quote fom chemdry 188 but they said they prefered me   del  :)

markpowell

« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2008, 08:09:29 pm »
Where do you live Mark?
Halifax?
Bit more than 10 mins but yes you are near.In my 1st year full time so just taking anything on at al at mo.
Any advice gratefully accepted.
You TM or Porty?

John

John,
Im based in Ripponden, only 10 mins to ainley top.
Let me have your mobile number and i will start passing enquiries your way, will have loads of work i cant fit in from now until end of Jan at least. You are welcome to send me an e-mail if you wish to keep your details private.
Mark