Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Paul Simpson

Heater tripping circuit breaker
« on: November 24, 2008, 05:52:13 pm »
Decided to give my Rhino (back up machine) an airing a few days ago as I find it provides better heat than my Ninja and the carpets I was doing were fairly grotty, but found it kept tripping the circuit breaker whenever I tried to switch the heater on?........Was an empty property so was not such a big issue and the pump and vacs worked fine, but had to do the job with no heat.

Tried it when I got home and the same thing happened so had a look inside but could see no problems with mositure, loose/damaged wiring, etc.
After giving it more thought, both my house and the one where the job was are very similar in design and both modern style houses and reading back on older posts others have suggested that these normally contain sensitive electrics.

Is this the case, and probably the cause?
As I don't fancy trying it at an occupied property and have it trip theres.
Or could there be something more serious?

N.B. My Ninja works perfectly fine including heater without tripping out, but that has an element and the Rhino an inline heater. (I think!)

Cheers
Paul

Re: Heater tripping circuit breaker
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 05:58:23 pm »
Get it checked out but get RCB plug or extension so you do not embarrass yourself in occupied house  ;)

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 05:59:25 pm »
A heater on it's own typically uses no more than an electric kettle. It never used to trip switches had it? There appears to be a leakage. Check through from plug, cable, switches etc. to heater.

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

kinder clean

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 06:05:16 pm »
Hi Paul

I had a situation some weeks ago where my powerflite did the same thing, turned out to be a nightmare of a job. This was also a fairly new build property, I posted the topic back then and from the replies posted I got the impression newer type proerties are prone to this, I have an older property and can use the heater without any problems here.

If it happens again I will just unplug the heater and fill with custys hot water.

Paul

clinton

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 06:41:12 pm »
Same answer as the above i would go and get it checked as there is a leakage somewere and it will only do it again :(

Paul Simpson

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 06:55:49 pm »
Thanks for the swift replies.
Can't see any signs of a leak and the heater unit was only changed for a new one approx. 1 year ago after the previous one developed a fault under warranty.
Only used approx. a dozen times since then and I seem to recall it tripped out at least once previously but don't remember where or when.  ::)
Think I will try it with an RCD at an older style property, (this time I'll take the Ninja as well) if still the same will obviously have to get it checked out.

M.Acorn

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 06:58:54 pm »
Had this with my heat and run ! took off the cover and the live wire was shorting out.Was not happy as it was not very old,and i had never had cover off to tinker with it either  >:(
What goes around comes around

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 07:04:16 pm »
Paul

A leakage is an electrical leakage to earth, not a water leak.

I gather that as a rule of thumb, the RCD in a consumer unit is twice as sensitive as a plug in RCD. The numbers 30 and 60 jig-a-wattsits spring to mind. Whether you are using your plug in or not, the main trip will still go.

A leak is a leak and may cause the equipment to fail it's PAT test, so you are just trying to put off the inevitable. Get it sorted.

Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi

stu_thomson

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 07:30:42 pm »
Sounds like it needs P.A.T testing to me, which we are all supposed to do, it will almost certainly fail and will need replacing.
Ive just had all my bits and bobs tested and a cfr machine has failed on the vaccuum motor even though it works ok so will have to be replaced, ive a victor sprite which works but has failed so needs a new bottom socket, and a inline heater which works but has failed and needs chucking :(

Expensive and annoying specially when things work but fail, but at least Im within the law now :-\

regards
stu
People say that money is not the key to happiness, but I always figured if you have enough money, you can have a key made!

M.Acorn

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 07:38:15 pm »
Was not aware that it was the law to have P.A.T testa on my gear !  :o
What goes around comes around

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 07:46:57 pm »
Certainly is, and Ken's answer is spot on as well.

But also plug heater in kitchen which is often on a separate ring.
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Jim_77

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 08:01:04 pm »
Does the heater run off a separate cable?  If so it might be worth nipping 6 inches off the cable and re-fitting the plug.

Len Gribble

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 08:14:36 pm »
http://www.pat-testing.info/legal.htm and or http://www.londonpattesting.co.uk/faq-is-portable-appliance-testing-a-legal-requirement.html

It may not be the plug end

Glad I use a tm MOST of THE TIME, it’s not just the machines it also applies to extension cables for the tm porties. ;)

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 08:36:22 pm »
When vac on my back up was shorting last week, my RCB popped but it NEVER fused house i was in  :o ???

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 10:36:01 pm »
p.a.t. testing is not LAW granted you need it to work on sites and some other places but not law as far as i can find BUT i would stand corrected if someone can show me.  IT IS SENSIBLE TO HAVE IT DONE THOUGH
STAY YOUNG HAVE FUN BE HAPPY xx
www.carpetcleanersbridlington.co.uk

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2008, 01:17:19 pm »
That sounds about right Chris.

Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi