Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

davep

100% cotton suite
« on: November 23, 2008, 11:13:07 am »
Got a custy with a suite that is 100% cotton and label says dry clean only, this will be ok to hwe if I keep the moisture down and dry quickly?  :P

Re: 100% cotton suite
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 11:43:33 am »
Do your normal tests, but they put that on the label to cover themselves and also because it can reduce fire retardency if a treated fabric, which you can have as one of your add ons.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 11:49:43 am »
Fire retardancy is applied to the backing so you could reapply but it can go chalky IMO I would clean and turbo dry with a wool safe solution and sell them scotchguard.

Normal cleaning price plus protector at approx 50% extra or if you are good the same as cleaning price ;D

Shaun

davep

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 11:59:53 am »
Thats what I thought Mike, Shaun how often can you get the same as the cleaning price, you must hypnotise your custys!  :o

50% if im lucky, they must be better off $$$ up your way  ;)

JandS

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 12:29:50 pm »
Can you still get fire retard.
Prochem don't do it anymore.
Why's that?

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 12:51:11 pm »
When testing, carry out a shrinkage test. Even pre-shrunk cottons have been known to shrink on cleaning.

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

Jim_77

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 12:55:13 am »
Stapro do a good flame retardant, if used correctly it leaves no trace that you can see or feel.

As said above, "dry clean only" is often used to cover the butts of the manufacturers and retailers - you need to test and draw your own conclusions.  In the last few years, I can only think of one suite I've elected to dry clean as a "safe" option, but even then it was mostly because it didn't look dirty in the slightest.

Back down your pressure/flow rate a bit and make sure you get it well on the way to being dry before you leave.