Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

ollie

van help
« on: November 04, 2008, 07:38:50 pm »
 Hi all sorry mods if this shouldnt be posted here, just wondered if any of the mechanically minded folks can help me....??   I have a T reg diesel transit, this morning on my way to my first job, the power just literally dropped off I can do no more than walking pace in first gear and can only get into second on a downhill and there is loads of grey smoke pouring out the exhaust but it ticks over ok  :-\   Anyway made it to my first job which I had to do as was an emergency and got recovered from there. The recovery would only take me to the garage I stipulated when I signed up with green flag, Thing is last time I went there I think they ripped me off so can anyone give me any idea what It could be and cost it should be if its not terminal  :'(  Thanks guys.
ollie

M.Acorn

Re: van help
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 07:54:27 pm »
Is it a turbo transit ? just blown the oil seals in the turbo on my astra van ! and it`s doing that ! or valve stem oil seals,or it could be steam from blown head gasket ?
What goes around comes around

CARPET KNIGHTS

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 07:58:33 pm »
Hi ollie

I had the same problem with my old r reg transit

it is a simple problem to fix!

Open the bonnet, on top of the engine there is the injector pump or whatever it is. off the side of it the throttle cables and the such go on.

there is also a rod about 6 - 7 inches long with 2 small adjustable plastic cup type things on. these cups fit onto what look like grease nipples (but they aren't) your rod has fallen off of one of these nipples. Locate it and push it back on to where it should go.

The plastic cup type thing has worn and will need to be replaced (scrapyard maybe) but to get you through wrap some selotape round the nipple to increase it's diameter slightly and push the rod back onto it!

Hope that helps you out!

Cheers Goron

CARPET KNIGHTS

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 08:01:53 pm »
think the rod controls the airflow so without it connected your engine will starve of oxygen causing it to run way too rich.

If it was turbo you would have known....huge immense cloud of smoke and your engine would have been emptied of oil in seconds, and would have seized solid before you made it to your first job!

ollie

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 08:20:34 pm »
Thanks guys youve put my mind at rest , I really didnt need anything bad to happen to it at the moment!  Thanks again , I will sleep more easily tonight!!
ollie

M.Acorn

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 10:12:38 pm »
My turbo is blowing out huge clouds of smoke when it comes on ! need it to last until sat when i am getting another one fitted ,got a job about 30 miles away on Thur
What goes around comes around

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 05:24:57 pm »
if its none of the rods then a fuel filter or a lift pump (not deisel pump) a lift pump

ollie

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 08:22:58 am »
Hi ollie

I had the same problem with my old r reg transit

it is a simple problem to fix!

Open the bonnet, on top of the engine there is the injector pump or whatever it is. off the side of it the throttle cables and the such go on.

there is also a rod about 6 - 7 inches long with 2 small adjustable plastic cup type things on. these cups fit onto what look like grease nipples (but they aren't) your rod has fallen off of one of these nipples. Locate it and push it back on to where it should go.

The plastic cup type thing has worn and will need to be replaced (scrapyard maybe) but to get you through wrap some selotape round the nipple to increase it's diameter slightly and push the rod back onto it!

Hope that helps you out!

Cheers Goron

Thanks Goron thats exactly what it was...the ECR rod or something, I rang after you suggested it and told the garage to check it.  Thanks for the other suggetions to guys.

Ollie
ollie

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 08:33:09 am »
Ollie

I'd find another garage mate.

darrenbale

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 03:51:26 pm »
Defo would look for a new garage. never a good sign when you have to phone them and tell them things to check
"for all your cleaning needs"
Fresh Cleaning Solutions Ltd